Smoking

Options
2»

Comments

• mmsmax
    mmsmax Member Posts: 9
    Options

smoking
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I am going to quit again (quit once before for 2 years) I am on wellbutrin to help with stop smoking. Last time I quit I used zyban,so hopefully this works just as well.Sept 4 will be my first day of not smoking, I thought my 55th birthday would be a great day to start.My son Taylor 15yrs old and I will be going to disneyland also that day.Wish me luck . I really need to quit, I,ve been smoking since I,ve been 12.
    Lorie

final recon surgery
    I had the final implant surgery yesterday, and I'm actually feeling pretty good. Sore, but ok. I am all bandaged and have gauze, etc., so I can't tell quite how everything will look. The surgery went well, and I am home from my job (as a teacher) for a week to recover. My reconstructed breast feels much better now that the expander is out. It feels real again. I did the nipple reconstruction, but they have a covering over it so I can't see until they remove everything next week. My process all started last November, and yesterday should finish the ordeal. Just take whatever you decide to do medically one day at a time, and you can get through it. Happy Birthday soon, and enjoy Disneyland and your son!
    Mari
  • mmsmax
    mmsmax Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I smoked for years, not so much, but still it counts. I quit 5 years ago on my sister's birthday. The patches are a good way to quit, especially if you also are taking Wellbutrin. In all my recent surgeries, the doctor was adamant about quitting smoking; it can make things much more dangerous. He said he usually will not perform surgery unless the patient quits because of the risk it adds. Honestly, I hated to quit, but once you get away from it for awhile, you will wonder how you ever smoked. Good luck!! Mari
  • susan marie
    susan marie Member Posts: 6
    Options
    mmsmax said:

I smoked for years, not so much, but still it counts. I quit 5 years ago on my sister's birthday. The patches are a good way to quit, especially if you also are taking Wellbutrin. In all my recent surgeries, the doctor was adamant about quitting smoking; it can make things much more dangerous. He said he usually will not perform surgery unless the patient quits because of the risk it adds. Honestly, I hated to quit, but once you get away from it for awhile, you will wonder how you ever smoked. Good luck!! Mari

amazing!
    I am a newbie here. Just found out last thrus. I have cancer.
    I am a smoker and was going to post a discussion this evening about your experiances with that battle and what you all did.
    I elected the double mastectomy and was told about the tram flap and other similar procedure. My Dr. informed me that I would not be eligable for anything like that as I smoke and even if I quit that day, the plastic surgean would not do it. He wants his patients to be smoke free at least 4 months.
    My question.... Did any of you have this stype of procedure while just having quit smoking?
    If so... How long had you been smoke free?
    And.... Were there an complications related to the smoking?
    FYI.... I have cut down but haven't been able to stop all together.
    GOD... It's so hard. Especially now!
    And I feel so guilty.
    YTPS, Susan
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

Don't smoke! Smoking causes
    Don't smoke! Smoking causes many cancers.

I couldn't help myself
    I couldn't help myself today, I told some woman in the local CVS when I saw her buying a pack of cigs that she increases her chance for breast cancer. She said she knew that. I told her I never smoked, well tried it, hated it, maybe smoked ONE pack my whole life of 59 yrs. But my DH smoked, he quit at age 37, both my sons smoke. They are 29 and 32. I usually stay away from them when they smoke outside. But I STILL got BC.
  • karaokelorie
    karaokelorie Member Posts: 33
    Options
    mmsmax said:

final recon surgery
    I had the final implant surgery yesterday, and I'm actually feeling pretty good. Sore, but ok. I am all bandaged and have gauze, etc., so I can't tell quite how everything will look. The surgery went well, and I am home from my job (as a teacher) for a week to recover. My reconstructed breast feels much better now that the expander is out. It feels real again. I did the nipple reconstruction, but they have a covering over it so I can't see until they remove everything next week. My process all started last November, and yesterday should finish the ordeal. Just take whatever you decide to do medically one day at a time, and you can get through it. Happy Birthday soon, and enjoy Disneyland and your son!
    Mari

final recon surgery
    Mari
    Congrats, Happy to hear everything went good.I like your statement " it feels real again" I cant wait! At first my prosthesis was ok, but it has become more and more uncomfortable.I am a "b" cup but not a full "b".Nothing up top, always wore a demi bra to me that was a full bra.Now with my prosthesis my right side is full and I have to add to the left side to make it bigger.I am already so tired of it.I cant wait till Feb. when I start at the plastic surgen again.Please let me know how everything looks and feels when all the bandages come off. Congradulations !!!
    Take Care
    Lorie
  • karaokelorie
    karaokelorie Member Posts: 33
    Options

final recon surgery
    Mari
    Congrats, Happy to hear everything went good.I like your statement " it feels real again" I cant wait! At first my prosthesis was ok, but it has become more and more uncomfortable.I am a "b" cup but not a full "b".Nothing up top, always wore a demi bra to me that was a full bra.Now with my prosthesis my right side is full and I have to add to the left side to make it bigger.I am already so tired of it.I cant wait till Feb. when I start at the plastic surgen again.Please let me know how everything looks and feels when all the bandages come off. Congradulations !!!
    Take Care
    Lorie

I forgot to tell you my son
    I forgot to tell you my son and I had a great time at disneyland! It was fun! Space mountain is still the best
    Lorie