Board question: CAPS?

Options
TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This may be an ignorant question, so my apologies in advance:

I'm wondering why some of you write your posts in ALL CAPS? I myself find it very difficult to read long stretches of text in all caps, but I'm new to message boards, so there may be a reason I'm not aware of? Would just be curious to know.

Traci

Comments

• m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    When I first started
    When I first started visiting discussion boards and chats, I learned that CAPS should be used only for specific emphasis, and that using all caps, all the time was bad internet etiquette...the equivalent of SHOUTING. I think some people just forget to turn off the caps button. In situations like this, where we may feel angry and helpless, caps are also a way to vent our deepest feelings.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    I heard the same
    I heard the same thing---caps for emphasis. All cap =shouting!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

I heard the same
    I heard the same thing---caps for emphasis. All cap =shouting!

Same here, based on all the
    Same here, based on all the horse forums I go to. Caps for a word (or 2 if you don't have the option to make the word bold or underlined) - all caps = yelling and rude.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I really need help! Having
    I really need help! Having read your earlier post about going out in public sans hair, I thought this post was going to be about scarves, wigs, hats, or CAPS! Imagine my surprise when it was about Capital Letters! LOL LOL And everyone who posted has it right...I suppose some are less than perfect typists, or new online, or distraught when they type. I dunno.... But I don't know what kind of Cap/wig/hat/scarf is best either! :-)

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    chenheart said:

I really need help! Having
    I really need help! Having read your earlier post about going out in public sans hair, I thought this post was going to be about scarves, wigs, hats, or CAPS! Imagine my surprise when it was about Capital Letters! LOL LOL And everyone who posted has it right...I suppose some are less than perfect typists, or new online, or distraught when they type. I dunno.... But I don't know what kind of Cap/wig/hat/scarf is best either! :-)

Hugs,
    Claudia

I had a pink cap. hee hee.

• TraciInLA
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Yeah, but...
    Yeah, Marcia, but you're also the one who went out without your HEAD (according to one of your earlier posts), so where would you put the cap? :-)
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Yeah, but...
    Yeah, Marcia, but you're also the one who went out without your HEAD (according to one of your earlier posts), so where would you put the cap? :-)

Capitals
    Heck I am just happy when I remember to use capitals
    tjhay
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Same here, based on all the
    Same here, based on all the horse forums I go to. Caps for a word (or 2 if you don't have the option to make the word bold or underlined) - all caps = yelling and rude.

Yes, I was told that caps is
    Yes, I was told that caps is just to emphasize a word. Or, if the whole message is in caps, it means your are mad. I don't even read the posts in ALL CAPS. I just ignore them. Sorry.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Yeah, but...

Ahhhh Marcia.....
    Shes right! LMAO!!! Pammy
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Ahhhh Marcia.....
    Shes right! LMAO!!! Pammy

I don't like all caps
    I also don't read the posts that are in all capital letters. They are just too hard to read. And, I don't know why someone does that. We can all see what our posts look like, so, just take the caps off please. It usually is suppose to be a form of being mad when you type in caps.

Lex♥
  • TraciInLA
    Options
    Alexis F said:

I don't like all caps
    I also don't read the posts that are in all capital letters. They are just too hard to read. And, I don't know why someone does that. We can all see what our posts look like, so, just take the caps off please. It usually is suppose to be a form of being mad when you type in caps.

Lex♥

So it's not just me
    I feel a little better hearing that some of you also don't read the posts that are in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS -- I was afraid it was just me.

My apologies to those of you who do write your posts in all caps, because I feel like I haven't gotten to know you. I do try to read your posts, but, after the first couple of sentences, it's just too difficult for me to read.

Traci
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

So it's not just me
    I feel a little better hearing that some of you also don't read the posts that are in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS -- I was afraid it was just me.

My apologies to those of you who do write your posts in all caps, because I feel like I haven't gotten to know you. I do try to read your posts, but, after the first couple of sentences, it's just too difficult for me to read.

Traci

No, you are not alone. I
    No, you are not alone. I don't read the ALL CAPITAL LETTERS postings either. They are too difficult to read, so, I don't even try.

Leeza