LTD denial

New Flower
New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a cancer survivor; I was diagnosed with breast cancer stage 3 about at the age of 46. Over the past 12 months I had four surgeries, six chemotherapy treatments, 8 weeks of radiation and currently on hormone therapy. During my cancer treatments I was on Short Term Disability paid by my employer. After I exceeded my short term disability I applied for and was granted long term disability insurance under my (employer's group plan provided by The Standard insurance company.
While I have been in recovery dealing with several side effects of cancer treatment, after two and a half months my LTD benefits were suddenly terminated by The Standard. Unfortunately, I gave The Standard permission to obtain my oncologist chart notes, which resulted in The Standard taking the notes out of context, misinterpreting them, and using them to justify the cancellation of my claim. I would definitely like to appeal the Standard insurance company's decision on my claim.
Please provide any suggestions or advice how to approach my appeal?

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    You've come to right place .. for information and support
    I unfortunely can't help you with insurance information, as I have newly been dignosised with breast cancefr. However, I will offer you good thoughts and prayer.

A few bc sisters will post, vaulable information.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    VickiSam said:

You've come to right place .. for information and support
    I unfortunely can't help you with insurance information, as I have newly been dignosised with breast cancefr. However, I will offer you good thoughts and prayer.

A few bc sisters will post, vaulable information.

Hi and welcome. I hope you
    Hi and welcome. I hope you get everything fixed with your insurance company.

Hugs, Diane
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    You definatly need to file
    You definatly need to file an appeal. I am so sick of these insurance companies making it almost impossible to get the proper care, meds or in your case your pay that you deserve. I would contact someone in your human resources dept and ask them how you go about an appeal or maybe contact a legal aid and maybe they could give you some free advice. I hope it works out for you. Heck, maybe someone at ACS would know what you could do. They do have alot of services for us. Good luck.

laura
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    lolad said:

You definatly need to file
    You definatly need to file an appeal. I am so sick of these insurance companies making it almost impossible to get the proper care, meds or in your case your pay that you deserve. I would contact someone in your human resources dept and ask them how you go about an appeal or maybe contact a legal aid and maybe they could give you some free advice. I hope it works out for you. Heck, maybe someone at ACS would know what you could do. They do have alot of services for us. Good luck.

laura

LTD denail
    Thank you very much for the welcome and suggestions. To contact HR is a good idea. Yes, insurance companies only want us to pay premiums. When we need benefits being paid, they cut us off. I am looking for a good legal council who is specialized in cancer patients. I was not able to find any references on ACS website. Please any ideas