Newbie on Board...countdown to Mastectomy!!!

redbobb
redbobb Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone!! My name is Laura and I have breast cancer!!

So..this is my first time posting on any "cancer" related website. I was DX on March 13, 2009. Yep...St. Patty's day! What really sucks is that I'm Irish! Yep...long, red, curly, thick hair...oh wait... that's in the drawer in the bathroom!

Still...I'm not going to be pissed at St. Patty's day every year...nope! It was the day I found my reason for the big C word. To me...everything has a reason. You may never understand it or find it, but it does exsist. Mine was to bring my laughter and strength to others. I thank God everyday for the blessing that he gave me years ago. My sense of humor and ability to not let things effect me in a negative way. Thanks goodness....because this cancer thing really sucks!!!

So...why did I decide to post?

Last night I started to panic a little...and I'm not the panicing type. I counted up 45 days till my mastectomy. I'm one FEC treatment away from my right boobie leaving this earth. I really don't feel like I have everything prepared. Things like clothing and nesting areas and supplies and all that stuff. Does anyone have a good top ten list of things that I need??

I look forward to your answers and getting to know ya'll!

Comments

  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Welcome Laura
    Thats my name too, so i wont have a problem remembering yours. First off, im glad you decided to join in on post. They are all wonderful people here. Why have they waited so long to do your surgery though? I think it is great that you have such a positive attitude and are so upbeat. Thats very important when you are fighting this crap. Know that you will still have those days that you feel down and sad though. As far as clothing goes i would suggest a button down shirt because you will have a drain after surgery and it is easier to get it on than a pull over after surgery. Are you just having the right removed? I wish you luck and you will be in my thoughts. Keep us posted on how things go.

    laura
  • redbobb
    redbobb Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for your response! My
    Thanks for your response! My plan was to go through 6 months of chemo first to try and shrink the tumors. I'm stage III and have about 6 tumors and it's in my nodes in my chest and armpits. The chemo has really worked and shrunk everything just wonderfully. It was always meant to help make my surgery easier.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    redbobb said:

    Thanks for your response! My
    Thanks for your response! My plan was to go through 6 months of chemo first to try and shrink the tumors. I'm stage III and have about 6 tumors and it's in my nodes in my chest and armpits. The chemo has really worked and shrunk everything just wonderfully. It was always meant to help make my surgery easier.

    Hi Laura. I would like to
    Hi Laura. I would like to welcome you to the site. I am so sorry that you are here because of bc, but, I am glad that you felt you could come here and post and get some help. I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't help you about what to expect with a mastectomy, but, others will post for you. Good luck to you Laura!
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    redbobb said:

    Thanks for your response! My
    Thanks for your response! My plan was to go through 6 months of chemo first to try and shrink the tumors. I'm stage III and have about 6 tumors and it's in my nodes in my chest and armpits. The chemo has really worked and shrunk everything just wonderfully. It was always meant to help make my surgery easier.

    I am sorry for the reason that you are here but very glad that you have found us. There are many sisters here who have had a masdectomy and I am sure that they will be chiming in soon on what little things that you could use. For my part I can tell you that large comfortable soft shirts for lounging in, maybe some of your favorit comfort foods already perfared so that you dont have to worry about cooking anything when you get home. Just take it out of the frez and hop in into the micro.

    tjhay
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Welcome
    Welcome to the site no one wants to join. You will find alot of wonderful people here full of information. I'll be interested to hear what they have to say also as I will be having a mastectomy after I finish my chemo treatments. It's good that you have such a wonderful attitude. That sure is helpful!! Best of luck to you Laura and keep in touch! Diane :)
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    chickad52 said:

    Welcome
    Welcome to the site no one wants to join. You will find alot of wonderful people here full of information. I'll be interested to hear what they have to say also as I will be having a mastectomy after I finish my chemo treatments. It's good that you have such a wonderful attitude. That sure is helpful!! Best of luck to you Laura and keep in touch! Diane :)

    Welcome Laura and good luck
    Welcome Laura and good luck to you!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Hi Laura...........
    I am also from the Islands of not so great britain LOL


    How is your good self?... You are so right, cancer sucks. As for the top ten things you will need.... well here's a shot........

    A supportive husband...(mine was a complete wassock!)

    Front buttoning or closing wear

    Front closing nightgowns

    Nice relaxing atmosphere

    Watch the telly and chill

    Front unloading bras

    A silky bandana to protect scars/nipples from contact with the bra

    A few good books to read


    A partner who will cook meals for you (and force you to eat them)

    Peace and Healing time for yourself.......

    You are going to get through this! Begorrah! Top of the morning to you!

    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Welcome Redbobb aka Laura
    I am newly diagnosis with breast cancer .. My choice is a double mastectomy, I am pushing to have this surgery within the 3 weeks. Panic filled days and nights due to the unknown. I have researched my cancer symptoms until my eyes cross daily.

    I opted to find a breast cancer specialist, in lieu of going forward with my general surgeon. I will find out results of MRI, 2nd path on Tuesday. Instead of nuturing my body & soul or my family, I am researching my next step .. chemo (hell, why not ??) getting ahead of myself no doubt. I've also been on several websites looking at human hair wig's. Insane, just a bit. I console myself by saying .. be perpared ..Vicki ..

    Life is full of highs and lows .. I have been over many bumps, substained many bruises .. but this breast cancer takes the prize. I just want it to be over .. slice and dice me, zap me full of chemo cocktails .. and let me get on with my life. It's the waiting, that's what killing me. I ready to fight, I ready to scream and I want to DANCE with NED. Now, not in a year, not in 2 ... right now!!

    I see my friends and family going on with their lives, but here I sit looking out the window, watching life go by. I allow myself a pitty party now and again. Then I open my computer, and onto the ACS, breast cancer site.

    Laura, you have a wonderful attitude and disposition, not to mention that fine looking mohawk. Good luck and post often, so we can keep an eye on you.

    Vicki
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490
    VickiSam said:

    Welcome Redbobb aka Laura
    I am newly diagnosis with breast cancer .. My choice is a double mastectomy, I am pushing to have this surgery within the 3 weeks. Panic filled days and nights due to the unknown. I have researched my cancer symptoms until my eyes cross daily.

    I opted to find a breast cancer specialist, in lieu of going forward with my general surgeon. I will find out results of MRI, 2nd path on Tuesday. Instead of nuturing my body & soul or my family, I am researching my next step .. chemo (hell, why not ??) getting ahead of myself no doubt. I've also been on several websites looking at human hair wig's. Insane, just a bit. I console myself by saying .. be perpared ..Vicki ..

    Life is full of highs and lows .. I have been over many bumps, substained many bruises .. but this breast cancer takes the prize. I just want it to be over .. slice and dice me, zap me full of chemo cocktails .. and let me get on with my life. It's the waiting, that's what killing me. I ready to fight, I ready to scream and I want to DANCE with NED. Now, not in a year, not in 2 ... right now!!

    I see my friends and family going on with their lives, but here I sit looking out the window, watching life go by. I allow myself a pitty party now and again. Then I open my computer, and onto the ACS, breast cancer site.

    Laura, you have a wonderful attitude and disposition, not to mention that fine looking mohawk. Good luck and post often, so we can keep an eye on you.

    Vicki

    My Dr. was/is a breast
    My Dr. was/is a breast cancer specialist. He is the best. His ultimate goal is to find a vaccine for breast cancer and that was his main study during his college years. He is a scientist PhD and a Oncology surgeon. I wish he could do my hernia surgery I'll be needing, but his speciality is breast cancer and melenoma.
    Let me tell you I am envious of gals with nice suple breasts, now i have a scar along the right side of my right breast. I know it could be worse, but to think of cancer cells lurking in there, and the RADS to come,it gets me down at times. So go ahead, we need to have pity parties now and then!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    tasha_111 said:

    Hi Laura...........
    I am also from the Islands of not so great britain LOL


    How is your good self?... You are so right, cancer sucks. As for the top ten things you will need.... well here's a shot........

    A supportive husband...(mine was a complete wassock!)

    Front buttoning or closing wear

    Front closing nightgowns

    Nice relaxing atmosphere

    Watch the telly and chill

    Front unloading bras

    A silky bandana to protect scars/nipples from contact with the bra

    A few good books to read


    A partner who will cook meals for you (and force you to eat them)

    Peace and Healing time for yourself.......

    You are going to get through this! Begorrah! Top of the morning to you!

    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxx

    needs for mastectomy
    a small pillow to elevate arm
    I have a special camisole for "soft" prosthesis, and little pocket that holds drains.
    There is a jacket called of all things a "jackie" that My surgeon gave to me
    pocket inside holds the drain. My best to you, its doable you have already done much!!!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Laura
    Just wanted to welcome you. I had a partial mastectomy and I am going through radiation right now. Another thing to add to your list would be a backrest. I use mine in bed or carry it to the sofa. It has been very helpful to prop me up to read or use my laptop. Mine has little arms and pockets on the arms to hold stuff. I love it. Goes well with a bed tray! Pammy
  • redbobb
    redbobb Member Posts: 8
    Akiss4me said:

    Hi Laura
    Just wanted to welcome you. I had a partial mastectomy and I am going through radiation right now. Another thing to add to your list would be a backrest. I use mine in bed or carry it to the sofa. It has been very helpful to prop me up to read or use my laptop. Mine has little arms and pockets on the arms to hold stuff. I love it. Goes well with a bed tray! Pammy

    Thanks for all the good
    Thanks for all the good ideas. The bed tray is a great idea!!!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    redbobb said:

    Thanks for all the good
    Thanks for all the good ideas. The bed tray is a great idea!!!

    Welcome
    Welcome to the site. This site is filled with wonderful amazing women and men. I am always thankful to be in their company.

    I want to say I love your positive, up-beat attitude. That will carry you far.

    Take care of yourself.

    P
  • djteach
    djteach Member Posts: 273
    Hi Laura,
    Welcome! One of

    Hi Laura,

    Welcome! One of the best things I was given before my mastectomy was a 12" heart shaped pillow. The top of the heart fits right into your armpit to keep clothing and purses, etc. from rubbing against your incision. I would even take it with me shopping because it worked to well. I hope you will have the same results. Just make sure it is a light weight pillow. You are in my thoughts,

    Love and gentle hugs,

    Donna
  • car57
    car57 Member Posts: 5
    I too had a complete mastectomy and 12 lymph nodes removed. My cancer was stage IIB and had spread into the primary node only under my right arm. Keep the good attitude and do everything the doctors and nurses tell you. One of the most helpful things for me was physical therapy. I started PT the morning after my surgery and have never had lymphedema and I have complete range of movement in my right arm. I also was able to go back to work 4 weeks after my surgery and I only missed 6 days of work during my 6 chemo treatments and 34 radiation treatments. All of the suggestions you have received are right on target!!!

    Good luck, God Bless and keep us posted on your progress. Car57
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    aztec45 said:

    Welcome
    Welcome to the site. This site is filled with wonderful amazing women and men. I am always thankful to be in their company.

    I want to say I love your positive, up-beat attitude. That will carry you far.

    Take care of yourself.

    P

    Hi Laura. I just want to
    Hi Laura. I just want to welcome you to the board!

    ♥ Kylez ♥
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    car57 said:

    I too had a complete mastectomy and 12 lymph nodes removed. My cancer was stage IIB and had spread into the primary node only under my right arm. Keep the good attitude and do everything the doctors and nurses tell you. One of the most helpful things for me was physical therapy. I started PT the morning after my surgery and have never had lymphedema and I have complete range of movement in my right arm. I also was able to go back to work 4 weeks after my surgery and I only missed 6 days of work during my 6 chemo treatments and 34 radiation treatments. All of the suggestions you have received are right on target!!!

    Good luck, God Bless and keep us posted on your progress. Car57

    Laura,
    I noticed in the ACS' tlc catalog (tlcdirect.org) that they have special post-surgery camisoles with pockets for drains built right in. I had lumpectomies, but a co-worker of mine had a mastectomy, and said the camisole was great to wear around the house after her surgery. They're a little pricey ($45), but she said it was worth it.

    Traci
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    car57 said:

    I too had a complete mastectomy and 12 lymph nodes removed. My cancer was stage IIB and had spread into the primary node only under my right arm. Keep the good attitude and do everything the doctors and nurses tell you. One of the most helpful things for me was physical therapy. I started PT the morning after my surgery and have never had lymphedema and I have complete range of movement in my right arm. I also was able to go back to work 4 weeks after my surgery and I only missed 6 days of work during my 6 chemo treatments and 34 radiation treatments. All of the suggestions you have received are right on target!!!

    Good luck, God Bless and keep us posted on your progress. Car57

    Hi Laura. Welcome to the
    Hi Laura. Welcome to the site!

    Hugs, Leeza
  • jikaras
    jikaras Member Posts: 58
    add to the list
    I found that if you start building up your leg strength before surgery, it's a big help. It helps for after surgery and you need to get out of bed. I didn't have the leg strength, and needed to be 'pushed out' by my husband.

    A friend of mine, who was 2 week behind me in surgery HAD the strong legs, and she had no problem with getting out of bed.

    Jill
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    TraciInLA said:

    Laura,
    I noticed in the ACS' tlc catalog (tlcdirect.org) that they have special post-surgery camisoles with pockets for drains built right in. I had lumpectomies, but a co-worker of mine had a mastectomy, and said the camisole was great to wear around the house after her surgery. They're a little pricey ($45), but she said it was worth it.

    Traci

    I didn't know the ACS had a
    I didn't know the ACS had a catalog. Thanks for posting that Traci.

    ♠♣ Susie ♠♣