Options
2»

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Calleen said:

Have you
    Looked at the breasts that have had reconstruction?? depending on what your DX is they can do immediate recostruction so you don't wake up with nothing there!!! sometimes reconstruction has to wait... some Women here have had lumpectomys and have been thrilled at the results.. same thing with reconstruction.. It's a matter of personal choice.. Have you got the book called Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book? My surgeon recomened it to me at my first visit and It's been very informative.. it has everything in there.. all the types of surgeries, the odds of recurrance. It's easy to find at most bookstores..

HUGZ... Calleen

It was just a model, I think
    It was just a model, I think on WebMd..it just showed a breast gone and a U shape of staples! I couldn't sleep after I saw that picture! I was under the impression you have to wait for re-construction or implants. Thanks for clearing that up. Just all depends as with all else? I did order the book this morning. I can't wait to read it.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Welcome
    Welcome CrazyCat to the best site for information and answers to some of your questions. I'm new to breast cancer too, had surgery in July and started chemo on 8/13. I was diagnosed in June and went through the weeks of questions. As the others have said until your tests are done and you've met with your surgeon and oncologist, it's hard to make any informed decision at this stage. I had an MRI and PET scan prior to the decision on the treatment. I have invasive ductal carcinoma, stage 2, grade 3, estrogen and progesterone positive and HER2 negative and opted for a lumpectomy. My prognosis was basically the same for a lumpectomy versus mastectomy. I will do 4 rounds of chemo every 3 weeks, 6 1/2 weeks of radiation and then a hormone therapy for 5 years. We can and will beat this beast and be dancing with NED soon!!

Thank You! :-)
    To all who have sent me info, thoughts, prayers, advice, experiences,...THANK YOU!It has meant so much to me! Earlier today I was looking at some Breast Cancer items and came across a ring that said "Faith, Hope & Love", that is what I have found here! When I was first diagnosed I felt so alone and couldn't stop crying or feeling sorry for myself. I just started typing and was lead here. You are exactly what I needed. I couldn't of imagined receiving so much support.
    I have read alot of stories about stage, grade, e&p +, HER#'s....when do you receive all that info? I know the stage, but what are the others about? Whew....there really are alot of factors in all this isn't there?!
    I was hesitant at first about seeing the surgeon, now I'm becoming a little anxious so I can have some answers!
    Cathy
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Cat64 said:

Thank You! :-)
    To all who have sent me info, thoughts, prayers, advice, experiences,...THANK YOU!It has meant so much to me! Earlier today I was looking at some Breast Cancer items and came across a ring that said "Faith, Hope & Love", that is what I have found here! When I was first diagnosed I felt so alone and couldn't stop crying or feeling sorry for myself. I just started typing and was lead here. You are exactly what I needed. I couldn't of imagined receiving so much support.
    I have read alot of stories about stage, grade, e&p +, HER#'s....when do you receive all that info? I know the stage, but what are the others about? Whew....there really are alot of factors in all this isn't there?!
    I was hesitant at first about seeing the surgeon, now I'm becoming a little anxious so I can have some answers!
    Cathy

You receive all of that info
    You receive all of that info after your surgery in your pathology report. Your surgeon and or oncologist will go over it with you. ER and PR tells if your cancer is estrogen fed or not. Be sure and write all of your questions down and take them with you to your appointment. And, ask all of the questions you want. Don't hold back. Take someone with you too and/or a tape recorder. Good luck! Let us know!

Hugs