Anybody else get racy after a/c treatments

mlmjt1
mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all

I have had my 4th and last ac treatment last wk friday. I start taxol and herceptin next wk and my heart rate still feels so fast every morning. My resting heart rate used to be around 70 but now its more like 96 and when I walk from the parking lot into the office it gets up to around 120. Ive been a runner for 18 years but have been away from it since early april. I know ac is hard on the heart and I know that when I run my heart rate gets up to 160 170 but its so unnerving to have it race like this. My mugga scan was really good the first time and she is repeating it on wed. I take xanax to settle down so maybe its a combination of anxiety fatigue deconditioning and the chemo. Just curious if anyone else experienced this.

Also...Is taxol/herceptin equally hard on the heart

THanks for listening

Linda T

Comments

  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Linda
    I had a/c too and my heart would race even with something as simple as going up and down our stairs to do laundry. At least with me after some time it has settled. I had good muga scan results also before my chemo-my onc said that mine was performing at 75%. He said health wise the people who were healthier than me are the Amish.I've heard that the "red cocktail" is hard on your heart-that's one of the reasons if not the reason why they usually ask you to have a muga scan first.
    I personally havn't had taxol/herceptin-so can't help you there,but many of the ladies on here say that it is easier to handle than the a/c.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

    Linda
    I had a/c too and my heart would race even with something as simple as going up and down our stairs to do laundry. At least with me after some time it has settled. I had good muga scan results also before my chemo-my onc said that mine was performing at 75%. He said health wise the people who were healthier than me are the Amish.I've heard that the "red cocktail" is hard on your heart-that's one of the reasons if not the reason why they usually ask you to have a muga scan first.
    I personally havn't had taxol/herceptin-so can't help you there,but many of the ladies on here say that it is easier to handle than the a/c.

    Oh, THAT racy...
    Linda,

    I'm not on AC, so I'm sorry I don't have any input for you...but I just have to share that, when I read the subject line of your post...well, I interpreted the word "racy" differently than you meant it. I was thinking, oh my goodness, she actually has the energy left for THAT after chemo? THAT was the last thing on my mind! Is THAT actually a side effect? Maybe I can get THAT side effect!

    I'm sure this says a lot about where my mind is today....and I sure wish THAT was what you were dealing with instead!

    Traci
  • butterfly343
    butterfly343 Member Posts: 39
    Hi Linda,
    I'm on my first

    Hi Linda,
    I'm on my first week of taxol. I cant really tell if it affecting my heart rate or not. I just have no engery and hurt all the time. Sorry that i couldnt be of any more help.
    Good Luck with taxol and congrats on finishing a/c!
    Julie
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    I had taxol/herceptin, and
    I had taxol/herceptin, and Yes, herceptin is hard on your heart. Your doc should send you for a muga scan to see if your heart is healthy before starting herceptin. I did not have a problem with my heart.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    TraciInLA said:

    Oh, THAT racy...
    Linda,

    I'm not on AC, so I'm sorry I don't have any input for you...but I just have to share that, when I read the subject line of your post...well, I interpreted the word "racy" differently than you meant it. I was thinking, oh my goodness, she actually has the energy left for THAT after chemo? THAT was the last thing on my mind! Is THAT actually a side effect? Maybe I can get THAT side effect!

    I'm sure this says a lot about where my mind is today....and I sure wish THAT was what you were dealing with instead!

    Traci

    Oh my my my!!!
    Traci I thought the same thing!!! I too was not that "racy" during my treatment either. :-) I do recall a racing heart beat and they just monitored me and did the ekg periodically.

    Thanks for making me grin with the unintended "racy" thoughts! LOL

    Hugs,

    RE
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    meena1 said:

    I had taxol/herceptin, and
    I had taxol/herceptin, and Yes, herceptin is hard on your heart. Your doc should send you for a muga scan to see if your heart is healthy before starting herceptin. I did not have a problem with my heart.

    Monitoring
    Herceptin may cause heart problems so your doctor should monitor your heart. I have a echocardiogram every three months. My last one I had on 8/12 the ejection fraction decreased slightly so I will have another on 9/2 to see if the medication that the cardiologist gave me helps my heart get back to where it was 3 months ago.

    Hugs,
    Margo
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

    Monitoring
    Herceptin may cause heart problems so your doctor should monitor your heart. I have a echocardiogram every three months. My last one I had on 8/12 the ejection fraction decreased slightly so I will have another on 9/2 to see if the medication that the cardiologist gave me helps my heart get back to where it was 3 months ago.

    Hugs,
    Margo

    I had the MUGA test today in
    I had the MUGA test today in preparation for starting chemo soon. I'm glad this question came up, so now I might know what to expect. Thanks, Gracie.
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Linda
    Sorry about the racy heart, I was on 4 treatments of AC. My heart would be racy at times,felt like it was pounding and I would have palpitations. I've had 2 echocardiagrams and all is fine. I just had 2 treatments of Taxol/Herceptin and I had alot of palpitations this past week. The doc is sending me to a heart doc tomorrow to have a 24 hr. halter moniter put on. Mention your racy heart as they will want to keep an eye on things!! Good Luck Diane:)
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    chickad52 said:

    Linda
    Sorry about the racy heart, I was on 4 treatments of AC. My heart would be racy at times,felt like it was pounding and I would have palpitations. I've had 2 echocardiagrams and all is fine. I just had 2 treatments of Taxol/Herceptin and I had alot of palpitations this past week. The doc is sending me to a heart doc tomorrow to have a 24 hr. halter moniter put on. Mention your racy heart as they will want to keep an eye on things!! Good Luck Diane:)

    I just had my 4th ac and I
    I just had my 4th ac and I am just really tired. In 2 weeks I have heart scan and then taxol and herceptin.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    RE said:

    Oh my my my!!!
    Traci I thought the same thing!!! I too was not that "racy" during my treatment either. :-) I do recall a racing heart beat and they just monitored me and did the ekg periodically.

    Thanks for making me grin with the unintended "racy" thoughts! LOL

    Hugs,

    RE

    I thought the same. I was
    I thought the same. I was like, hmmmmm is she going to post about what I am thinking? lol

    Guess "racy" means different things to all of us. lol Thank you too Traci for the smile!



    Kylez