Lumpectomy vs Mastectomy

Deb1969
Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Im 39 yrs old newly diagnosed with breast CA, esrogen progesterone HER2 positive, went today to doctors appt to discuss my options, Im torn between lumpectomy or mastectomy? I scared and confused any comments welcome. Thanks
Deborah

Comments

• Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Deb, theres a lot that plays
    Deb, theres a lot that plays into the decision between a lumpectomy vs a mastectomy. Some woman go for the mastectomy out of fear or because they don't want to have weeks of radiation.

I almost had one because I was terrified and was ignorant of the research. My surgeon counseled me on the comparative statistics. In the long run, both surgeries provide the same longterm recurrance rates. If a tumor can be removed with clean margins with an acceptable cosmetic appearance, then it does not serve any purpose to remove perfectly healthy clean tissue/whole breast.

I had a small (1.5cm) tumor. I had a lumpectomy with clean margins and was able to have Partial Breast Radiation. This is when they irradiate just the tumor bed and a small border around it. I had 10 concentrated treatments instead of 30 or more of the traditional whole breast treatment. Research shows that with early stage breast cancer, recurrences are almost always in the tumor bed or very close to it. So it does not make sense to irradiate the entire breast. Since tissue can only be radiated once, if I were ever to develop a second, new cancer in the same breast, I would eligible for another lumpectomy and rads. As opposed to if my whole breast had been radiated, then I would have n o choice but to have my breast removed. For me, I feel that would be too traumatic.

Please talk with your surgeon, and do your researh before making your decision. Good luck, Eileen
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Eil4186 said:

Deb, theres a lot that plays into the decision between a lumpectomy vs a mastectomy. Some woman go for the mastectomy out of fear or because they don't want to have weeks of radiation.

I almost had one because I was terrified and was ignorant of the research. My surgeon counseled me on the comparative statistics. In the long run, both surgeries provide the same longterm recurrance rates. If a tumor can be removed with clean margins with an acceptable cosmetic appearance, then it does not serve any purpose to remove perfectly healthy clean tissue/whole breast.

I had a small (1.5cm) tumor. I had a lumpectomy with clean margins and was able to have Partial Breast Radiation. This is when they irradiate just the tumor bed and a small border around it. I had 10 concentrated treatments instead of 30 or more of the traditional whole breast treatment. Research shows that with early stage breast cancer, recurrences are almost always in the tumor bed or very close to it. So it does not make sense to irradiate the entire breast. Since tissue can only be radiated once, if I were ever to develop a second, new cancer in the same breast, I would eligible for another lumpectomy and rads. As opposed to if my whole breast had been radiated, then I would have n o choice but to have my breast removed. For me, I feel that would be too traumatic.

Please talk with your surgeon, and do your researh before making your decision. Good luck, Eileen

Eileen
    I think that your

Eileen
    I think that your explanation is wonderful. You have really explained mastectomy vs. lumpectomy. And although I do a lot of research I did not know anything about the more concentrated, smaller rad field. What a good option that leaves you. I also wanted a mastectomy at first, actually bilateral, but after talking with the doctor decided that the lumpectomies were a good idea for me. You are one of the angels of the board and always have sound advice, and good contributions.
    Stef
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Lumpectomy vs Mastectomy
    Welcome to our Site .. The home of the BRAVE.

I too am new to breast cancer and this site. I have gathered so MUCH information on this site. This site ...offers very vaulable information. Not to mention the many wonderful, caring and supportive women and men that I've had the pleasure of meeting.

We are not doctors, or family members .. we are Vicitms. As vicitms, we can choose to be scared, or arm ourselves with every FACT, scerino, and website .. known to women.

I have High Grade DCIS/micro invastion - Her2 positive // ER/PR negative. A 10.0 x 7.0 x 4.0 cm tumor was removed on 8/10 via lupmpectomy. No clear margins .. so now I have opted for a mastectomy.

Question .. Question everything..

Just my 2 cents ..

Vicki
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    VickiSam said:

Lumpectomy vs Mastectomy
    Welcome to our Site .. The home of the BRAVE.

I too am new to breast cancer and this site. I have gathered so MUCH information on this site. This site ...offers very vaulable information. Not to mention the many wonderful, caring and supportive women and men that I've had the pleasure of meeting.

We are not doctors, or family members .. we are Vicitms. As vicitms, we can choose to be scared, or arm ourselves with every FACT, scerino, and website .. known to women.

I have High Grade DCIS/micro invastion - Her2 positive // ER/PR negative. A 10.0 x 7.0 x 4.0 cm tumor was removed on 8/10 via lupmpectomy. No clear margins .. so now I have opted for a mastectomy.

Question .. Question everything..

Just my 2 cents ..

Vicki

Breast Cancer Survivor is what I am!
    I am a breast cancer SURVIVOR! I had a small tumor so I chose the lumpectomy. As Eileen said, the chance of a recurrence is the same with a lumpectomy as with a mastectomy. I had 35 rad treatments. My nodes were clean, so no chemo. My breasts are important to me, to my being and to my sexual identity. I don't think I could have done anything but a lumpectomy. But, each has to decide what is best for them, IF they have a choice. Sometimes, there isn't a choice. Good luck!
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Eil4186 said:

I think I'm going to ask
    I think I'm going to ask about having my RADS that way, my tumor was 1.1 CMs. My surgeon removed it with clear margins and my sentinel node was clear. The hosp I'm planing on getting the RADs has that new state of the art targeted treatment. I'm just praying that since the tumor was grade 2 that the medical oncologist doesn't recomend chemo. I don't want it! They sent the tissue to California, and I'll know what's what on Augh 31st when I meet with the Medical oncologist.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    I am ER and PR + and HER2 -
    I am ER and PR + and HER2 - and I had a lumpectomy and rads. That was what my oncologist recommended and what I felt was best for me. Good luck!

Susie
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    susie09 said:

I am ER and PR + and HER2 -
    I am ER and PR + and HER2 - and I had a lumpectomy and rads. That was what my oncologist recommended and what I felt was best for me. Good luck!

Susie

I went
    a different route.. I was the perfect canidate for a lumectomy. I had Stage 1 with clear lymph nodes... but I chose to have a skin sparing bi-lateral masectomy with immediate reconstruction using the tummy tram flap procedure. I chose this only after many many hours of prayer, talking with my doctors and family and doing tons of research on this specific procedure. I was also scared of developing a tumor in my other breast... Worrying if I would have insurance to cover it if it came back. just many factors went into my decision....Also my Mother had breast cancer which took her life... it's the hardest surgery to recover from due to it being both breasts and the flap but it's now been 3 weeks today I was pretty much back on my feet in a week and a 1/2 and I'm still very happy with my choice...I also was differnt in that It wasn't all that painful for me. I quit taking pain meds the night of my surgery.. BUT that doesn't happen with everyone!!! I don't have to have radiation and I don't think I'm going to have to have chemo.. just waiting still on the offical word...

Just remember it is a very personal choice and you have to follow what is best for you ... Get the book called Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book" .. It has tons of valuble information that I'm still going back and reading...

Let us know what you decide...

HUGZ... Calleen
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Calleen said:

I went
    a different route.. I was the perfect canidate for a lumectomy. I had Stage 1 with clear lymph nodes... but I chose to have a skin sparing bi-lateral masectomy with immediate reconstruction using the tummy tram flap procedure. I chose this only after many many hours of prayer, talking with my doctors and family and doing tons of research on this specific procedure. I was also scared of developing a tumor in my other breast... Worrying if I would have insurance to cover it if it came back. just many factors went into my decision....Also my Mother had breast cancer which took her life... it's the hardest surgery to recover from due to it being both breasts and the flap but it's now been 3 weeks today I was pretty much back on my feet in a week and a 1/2 and I'm still very happy with my choice...I also was differnt in that It wasn't all that painful for me. I quit taking pain meds the night of my surgery.. BUT that doesn't happen with everyone!!! I don't have to have radiation and I don't think I'm going to have to have chemo.. just waiting still on the offical word...

Just remember it is a very personal choice and you have to follow what is best for you ... Get the book called Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book" .. It has tons of valuble information that I'm still going back and reading...

Let us know what you decide...

HUGZ... Calleen

Just want to wish you good
    Just want to wish you good luck in your decision. Your pathology report, after surgery, will determine what paths you can choose. I chose a lumpectomy and am very pleased that I did. Keep us posted on you!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Eil4186 said:

Eileen
    That is really interesting, thank you for telling us, I only had a 1.4cm tumor, with clean nodes, they went back in as a precaution because I only had a small margin clean )1mm), but when they went back in everything came back clean. I wonder if I can opt for this kind of regimin, it seems that it really leaves you with more options in the future should I need them.

Thanks Aurora
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    susie09 said:

Just want to wish you good
    Just want to wish you good luck in your decision. Your pathology report, after surgery, will determine what paths you can choose. I chose a lumpectomy and am very pleased that I did. Keep us posted on you!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

Just a note to let you know
    Just a note to let you know that I am thinking about you. We all have to make the choice that is right for us. Each of us has our own personal reasons for making the choice we made. Some of us didn't have an option, and some had all the options. It is such a personal matter... know one knows you or your reasons for going one way or the other, only you do. The most important factor is looking at the reoccurance rates... it is true lumpectomy followed by rads has the same rate as does a mastectomy.. even with this being the case, many women for personal reasons of their own, choose mastectomy. I personally chose a lumpectomy which turned out to be a partial mastectomy because they ended up taking more tissue than they thought they would have to in order to get clean margins.

Just make sure that before they do either one, they have run all the tests that they need to...then make whatever decision is best for you!

My best wishes... and sincerest hugs..

~T