STAGE 4 SMALL LUNG CANCER

mfm
mfm Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
HI,MY SISTER DX WITH SMLC IN 2008, DID CHEMO, RAD, SHE ONLY HAD A 6WEEK FREE ZONE & NOW IT HAS SPREAD TO JUST OUTSIDE THE UTEREUS. DR SAYS TERMINAL FEW WEEKS TO 2 YRS, NO CURE NO SURGERY FOR HER,ASKING HER TO CHOOSE QUALITY OF LIFE. SHE IS 54. THIS IS SO NEW TO US ALL WERE NOT SURE WHERE TO GO NEXT,
2ND OPINION? LET IT RIDE? CHEMO AGAIN?
WLDNT MIND SOME ADVICE, THANK YOU ALL

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    advice
    Any time a doctor uses the word 'terminal' I would think that a second opinion is probably a good idea.

As for chemotherapy and quality of life, there is a fine balance involved in here, and the only person, truly, who can make this decision is the person whose 'quality' is involved.

We have different effects from treatment, just for starters, and that is the easy one. Each of us has a pain threshhold beyond which we do not want to go, at least on a regular basis.

My mom fought cancer in 1974, and again in the early 90s. A tough lady who fought like a trooper, she finally decided it was time to stop when it had not only gone to her brain but affected her ability to think, to remember, and to endure the pain. Who were we to begrudge her her decision at that time, regardless our own desires that she endure?

And so it goes. I would advise, personally, that sis accept the chemotherapy, that she see how it impacts quality of life, and that she proceed from there.

Best wishes to sister and her family.

Take care,

Joe