Had bone scan today & then more x-rays

m_azingrace
m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
after the bone scan was completed, the film was sent to the radiologist, who then ordered more regular x-rays. Is this normal procedure? or should I be concerned that s/he saw something suspicious? Or maybe there was just some areas that didn't show up clear on the scan? I would appreciate some input from anyone who has gone through this. Thanks Gracie

Comments

• Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Bone Scan
    Gracie, I had a bone scan many months ago, but I can't remember what happened after. Sad to say, once you get a cancer diagnosis, the tests and follow-ups tend to blur together, at least for me. (I remember the results.)

PET scans do tend to turn up false positives--that much I know. You might call your doctor and just ask. They get the results usually the same day. Calling your doctor will be good practice for overcoming any hesitation to call with questions once your treatment starts.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful. Others here will have more information. I wish you the best. Please keep us updated as you have time.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Gracie
    I'm not sure, I went through all of those tests in such a blur, that I hardly remember them all. I do know that all places are different in the way things are done.I will be praying for all good news.
    hugs, Jackie
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Gracie
    What it says in the book by Dr Susan Love is that the radioactive particles from the bone scan show up where the bone is actively metabolizing.. that is doing something, this doesn't mean that the bone is dealing with cancer cells. It can mean that there's arthritis, a fracture that's in the process of healing or some kind of infection. The x-ray is to concentrate on where the particles showed up the strongest.

I hope this helps

HUGZ... Calleen
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Let your oncologist explain it
    Call your oncologist Gracie. That is the best thing for you to do. They have the results almost immediately.

Lex♥
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Calleen said:

Gracie
    What it says in the book by Dr Susan Love is that the radioactive particles from the bone scan show up where the bone is actively metabolizing.. that is doing something, this doesn't mean that the bone is dealing with cancer cells. It can mean that there's arthritis, a fracture that's in the process of healing or some kind of infection. The x-ray is to concentrate on where the particles showed up the strongest.

I hope this helps

HUGZ... Calleen

Great picture Call1een!

Great picture Call1een!
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Gracie, I had a bone scan
    Gracie, I had a bone scan recently but there was no x-rays afterward though. I'm sure your docs want to be thorough. Perhaps you should give them a call just to set your mind at ease.
    Eil
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Alexis F said:

Let your oncologist explain it
    Call your oncologist Gracie. That is the best thing for you to do. They have the results almost immediately.

Lex♥

Thank you to everyone for
    Thank you to everyone for the responses, they helped a great deal, especially Callen's detailed information from the book. Because of my age [67], it's quite likely that I do have some artheritis developing, that I'm not aware of since it's not causing me any discomfort. I was told today that the oncologist will get the results in about 2 days. Thursday I am getting the MUGA [heart function] test, to establish a base line before the chemo begins. Next Monday I'm scheduled for a ct scan. Then on the 28th, the chemo port goes in. After that, I'll be scheduled to see the oncologist again. Thank you all again. Gracie