St. Joseph's appt'mt - Wed. 8/19 .. Breast cancer surgeron // what questions do you wish you would o

Options
VickiSam
VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
8/10/09 .. Left breast lumpectomy .. resulted with 'extensive high grade intraductal carcinoma in situ solid tume, and comedo type. Her2 .. positive.

size: 3.0 x 2.4 x 2.0 cm

8/14/09.. General surgeon gave me this diagnosis: 1 year chemo, recommendation of mac'tmy.

8/15/09.. Joined ACS website .. comments posted gave me the courage to research my condition to the best of my ability ..

Invasive DCIS ?? or non ?? not available on my biopsy reports

Stage or level ?? not avilable on my biopsy reports
Comedo type ?? what the h is this ??

Her2 .. positive

I have spent 20 hours since Friday nite, on the internet and at the library researching .. I have copied 120 listing for both DCIS and Her2.. ACS, Susan g Koomen,WebMD, Breast Cancer articles, etc.

8/17/09... I called St. Joseph's Cancer center this morning and begged for an appointment .. no new patient appointmt's available until 8/28. I called back every ten mintues, until I got an appointment this Wednesday, 8/19 with Dr. Harness of St Joseph's Breast Cancer center. -- pushy, yes I am ...

I have a listing of about 20 questions .... Are there any questions any of you wished you would of asked on your first appointment ????

Vicki

Comments

• Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Your pathology report tells all.
    Your pathology report tells all of that and your oncologist or plastic surgeon should explain it all to you. Good luck!

Lex♥
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Vicki
    I would ask ER or PR positive or neg, what is the staging, what are my options and stats and what treatments are available. I already know that if you are Her2 your cancer is aggressive and your hope is in Herceptin, if you get a chance watch "living Proof" a very good movie for those who are Her2 gene positive or really for any BC survivor.

You will not know for certain your best choices until the pathology report is complete and you talk to your oncologist.

I am wishing you all the best dear, and pleas keep us posted,
    Hugs, Jackie
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    rjjj said:

Vicki
    I would ask ER or PR positive or neg, what is the staging, what are my options and stats and what treatments are available. I already know that if you are Her2 your cancer is aggressive and your hope is in Herceptin, if you get a chance watch "living Proof" a very good movie for those who are Her2 gene positive or really for any BC survivor.

You will not know for certain your best choices until the pathology report is complete and you talk to your oncologist.

I am wishing you all the best dear, and pleas keep us posted,
    Hugs, Jackie

Good luck at your doctor's
    Good luck at your doctor's tomorrow. I hope you get all of your questions answered.
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Options

Good luck at your doctor's tomorrow. I hope you get all of your questions answered.

Good Luck
    Be sure and ask for a recomendation for the best plastic surgeon in your area...

are you having immediate reconstruction?? if so implants or the tram procedure??

Go find the book by Dr Susan Love's Breast Book... that's very very helpful...

HUGZ... Calleen
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Options
    Calleen said:

Good Luck
    Be sure and ask for a recomendation for the best plastic surgeon in your area...

are you having immediate reconstruction?? if so implants or the tram procedure??

Go find the book by Dr Susan Love's Breast Book... that's very very helpful...

HUGZ... Calleen

Good Luck Tomorrow
    I hope all goes well with your appointment at St Joseph's.
    Ask about all the alternatives for treatment...are ther any clinical studies for which you might qualify. I have often found the nurse practioner to be the most help.
    I am in Maryland too at the University of Maryland Medical Center..it's a great city for breast cancer care. keep in touch.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options

Wishing You Good Luck Today
    Good luck with your appt. today, Vicki. Let us know if your questions were answered to your satisfaction. Hoping so!