need help finding info

Options
tjhay
tjhay Member Posts: 655
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Ok sisters, my friends well meaning as they are now have me worried. So I need to find more info on tomoxifen. For different friends have come to me saying that it does not make sense to take tomoxifen to try and pervent reccurance if it is going to raise the cance of uterine cancer by 5 times. I know I should have been wondering about this before now but i will blame it on chemo fog.
tjhay

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Wow! I never heard those
    Wow! I never heard those stats before....I wouldn't want to take it either! Hope somebody knows.....
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

Wow! I never heard those
    Wow! I never heard those stats before....I wouldn't want to take it either! Hope somebody knows.....

I am not taking it because
    I am not taking it because of the side effects, that being one of them. Not so sure that it is that high, but, it is a pretty high risk. And, several women on here that have been on tamox, have had recurrences. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Hey Tjhay
    I would check out those stats, but I don't know where to tell you to go to do it. I am starting it next month but I already had a hystorectomy, so I do not have that concern. I'll look in the papers that my Doc gave me about Tamoxifen to see if it says anything about that. I'll let you know if I find any info. Good luck and let us know what you have found out. Pammy
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Hey Tjhay
    I would check out those stats, but I don't know where to tell you to go to do it. I am starting it next month but I already had a hystorectomy, so I do not have that concern. I'll look in the papers that my Doc gave me about Tamoxifen to see if it says anything about that. I'll let you know if I find any info. Good luck and let us know what you have found out. Pammy

I was just
    Reading about that today!!! I found the info in the book "Dr Susan's Loves Breast Book" Chapter 18 page 300,301 has a table that has the risks and benefits for prevention... It can cause several other problems.... I've been reading up because I have not yet been to an oncologist for any treatments... I have seen all the posts with all the drugs being used.. I have been recomending this book and haven't picked it up since before my surgery.. I really hope this helps... I found the book at a Hastings book store here in our area...

HUGZ...Calleen
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Calleen said:

I was just
    Reading about that today!!! I found the info in the book "Dr Susan's Loves Breast Book" Chapter 18 page 300,301 has a table that has the risks and benefits for prevention... It can cause several other problems.... I've been reading up because I have not yet been to an oncologist for any treatments... I have seen all the posts with all the drugs being used.. I have been recomending this book and haven't picked it up since before my surgery.. I really hope this helps... I found the book at a Hastings book store here in our area...

HUGZ...Calleen

Meanwhile...
    And while Calleen was reading Dr. Susan Love's book, I was searching around on her website (dslrf.org) -- great minds, Calleen!

Dr. Love has so much really current information on scientific research on her site, but I didn't find anything about Tamoxifen and uterine cancer. I'm afraid to just try googling it -- I hope that someone else has a good resource idea for you, TJ.

Traci
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Tamoxifen
    Hey, TJ, I am not on tamoxifen, but many here are. If you do not get a lot of responses under this thread, you might start one with tamoxifen in the title. Sorry I can't help you more.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Tamoxifen
    Hey, TJ, I am not on tamoxifen, but many here are. If you do not get a lot of responses under this thread, you might start one with tamoxifen in the title. Sorry I can't help you more.

I have read about the s/e's
    I have read about the s/e's of tamox, cataracts, blood clots and uterine cancer. It is scary. The Susan Love book even said that they do not want women on it longer than 5 years because there is proof that it will and has caused cancer in some women. Scary stuff.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

I have read about the s/e's
    I have read about the s/e's of tamox, cataracts, blood clots and uterine cancer. It is scary. The Susan Love book even said that they do not want women on it longer than 5 years because there is proof that it will and has caused cancer in some women. Scary stuff.

Let us know Tj what you find
    Let us know Tj what you find out.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Options
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    tjhay said:

Wow Re
    thanks i will be checking this info right away thank you so much
    tjhay

Thanks for those sites.

Thanks for those sites.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Tamoxifen...
    It's always good to do the research, and educate yourself as much as possible.

Please remember, TJ, that Tamoxifen is a life-saving medication. EVERYTHING we do along the journey includes risk. The risks you already accepted with surgery, chemo and rads were probably far greater than those of Tamoxifen. And, all risks are potential - doesn't mean they WILL happen.

I took Tamoxifen for 2 years - no serious SEs (now taking Arimidex, 3+ years and still counting). I weighed the possible risks of the drug against my own risk of recurrence - with and without it. Was a no-brainer decision for me. So, please discuss thoroughly with your onc.

Good luck with your decision.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I was on Tamoxifen for 9
    I was on Tamoxifen for 9 months and started spotting. The onc ran a blood test and determined I was in menopause and switched me to Aromasin just in case (partly because uterine cancer was in the family). He sent me to a GYN then. She ran tests and I ended up with a D&C. It was just uterine polyps. Not cancer. If you are on Tamoxifen, you need to have regular GYN apointments.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I was on Tamoxifen for 9
    I was on Tamoxifen for 9 months and started spotting. The onc ran a blood test and determined I was in menopause and switched me to Aromasin just in case (partly because uterine cancer was in the family). He sent me to a GYN then. She ran tests and I ended up with a D&C. It was just uterine polyps. Not cancer. If you are on Tamoxifen, you need to have regular GYN apointments.

Good advice Marcia and they
    Good advice Marcia and they do stress that point because of the uterine cancer risk.