New Breast Cancer victim .. Mother of 2 - Corona, California

Options
VickiSam
VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am confused, and overwhelmed with my news. My left breast lumpectomy resulted with -- 'extensive high grade intraductal carcinoma in sintu solid tumor, and comedo type DCIS with Her2 - showing positive.

Looking for advise .. Chemo, and breast reconstruction ..

I am seeking out a surgeon at St. Joseph's hospital in Orange.

New to site, but I have found inspiration ..

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, experiences, and HOPE.

Vicki

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I didn't have chemo nor
    I didn't have chemo nor reconstruction. I just want to wish you good luck and to welcome you.
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Welcome Vicki
    I commented to you on your post to Wolfi.. I am so sorry about your DX.. You have come to the right place!!

I just had a skin sparing double masectomy with immediate reconstruction using the Tram on July29th..I'm doing really great...They removed my tumor at the time of my Masectomy and I'm still awaiting the final results... My lymph nodes are clear.. My Doc said I was stage 1....I'm not going to have to have radiation because I chose the total masectomy.. Not yet sure of chemo

I chose the Tram flap as the reconstruction becasue I wanted to use what nature had given me a little extra belly fat... I didn't want implants becasue my Doc told me there could be more complications with them... Plus since doing the tram tummy tuck is a one shot deal I did both breasts... I didn't want the worry of the beast coming back in my good breast...I was informed There's always a posibility of it coming back but it would be on my chest wall but the chances are low...

I felt like I did what was best for me... as you gather information you too will make the choice that is right for you...

HUGZ....Calleen
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi Vicki
    Sounds like our diagnosis were very similar. My cancer was extensive and aggressive and I am also her2 positive. My cancer was on the right breast but there was a questionable area on the left side on the mri so I chose bilateral mastectomy with expanders which I had done in May. My sentinel node was positive but the 21 lymphnodes on the right side were negative. I did have some complications with the surgery so one of the expanders was removed and I will have to have it reinserted sometime next year, then can start the reconstruction.

I was placed on adraimycin/cytoxan every other week x 4 wks, then I switch to taxol/herceptin every other week x 4 weeks, then its every 3 weeks of herceptin for 1 year. If you do have to do any amount of chemo and they offer you an implanted port, I would definitely take it. All blood draws and chemo can be done thru the port.

If you have to do chemo, it is not a cake walk but it is do able. I dont feel so hot today, but I know each day out gets a little better. I have managed to work 18 to 26 hours per week thru this.

Hang in there Vicki. Please know that this site is where you want to come for support. Everyone has been so good here.

HUgs
    Linda T
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Welcome Vicki
    To the club nobody wanted to join. You will find comfort and support here with us. I don't know how i would have survived all without our brave sisters here.

I was Her2 pos. also, meaning our cancer is very aggressive, but the good news is, they have come up with a drug (Herceptin) in the last 10 years that has amazing results with this type of cancer. Also it is unlike the chemo drugs in that it doesn't harm your good cells, only targets the bad.

Keep us posted. We will be here for you.
    Love, Jackie
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Hi Vicki
    Just wanted to welcome you also! Pammy
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Hi Vicki
    Just wanted to welcome you also! Pammy

Welcome and hi Vicki!

Welcome and hi Vicki!

Hugs ♥Lex♥
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Welcome to this website.
    Welcome to this website. You will always find someone who can answer your questions. (My dx
    is different, so I can't be much help.)
    Everyone is very supportive.

Hugs & prayers go out to you.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Welcome to this website.
    Welcome to this website. You will always find someone who can answer your questions. (My dx

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Tux said:

Welcome to this website.

Thank you
    Thank you for the kind words and thoughts. Prayers go a long way!

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my posting.

Vicki
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Thank you
    Thank you for the kind words and thoughts. Prayers go a long way!

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my posting.

Vicki

vickisam-a late welcome to you
    You'll find many here so willing to offer you their positive thoughts, prayers, and their own experiences. When I came to this site, nearly 3 years after my dx, I was in need of support and I was overwhelmed with how many people posted!

I'm not out of the woods, yet. But, because of the awesome women (and men) on this site I know that, if I had to, I could go through it again (I hope I never have to make that decision) because I know where to go for support).

Come here whenever you can, and you'll be surprised at the number of sisters here who will carry you if you need it--some might even tell a stupid joke and you can't help but laugh, in spite of yourself.

Sometimes, what others post will make you smile, and sometimes a post will make you cry--that's when you realize that there are many, too many, on these boards who are experienceing (or have experienced) exactly what you right now. And, you know what makes that 'okay'--- we understand.

Cry, laugh, share, support,...that's why we come here.
    dmc
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Hi Vicki....
    that's my name too!! Just finding out your diagnosis is hard but then the waiting...waiting, all the waiting in between then and finding out your treatment plan is so hard. I was diagnosed the 24th of July and am starting chemo this Thursday. I will have 4 rounds, then a masectomy, then 4 more rounds of chemo. Possibly some radiation thrown in there too.

I just wanted to take the time to welcome you to the board. There are a great group of women and men here who are all very knowledgeable and caring.

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • traceyt
    traceyt Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Welcome
    Vicki
    Welcome...this is a great place to find comfort! I was diagnosed last month and have found a wealth of caring and support here :) Although all of our dx are different the emotions we share are the same. Check in often and share your journey
    ((hugs))
    Tracey
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Tux said:

Welcome to this website.

Welcome to the website.

Welcome to the website.
  • 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    traceyt said:

Welcome
    Vicki
    Welcome...this is a great place to find comfort! I was diagnosed last month and have found a wealth of caring and support here :) Although all of our dx are different the emotions we share are the same. Check in often and share your journey
    ((hugs))
    Tracey

St. Josephs in Orange
    Hi Vicki,
    Welcome I'm so sorry for your dx. It is a very scary time and it just feels like your whole world is colapsing around you. I live near you in So. Cal and I am being treated at St. Josephs hospital in Orange. I was dx'd in Feb. started chemo in March and will finish chemo (God willing ) in Sept. of this year. I will PM you and tell you about my experiences at St. Joseph's ( very positive). Love Surf
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Hi Vicki....
    that's my name too!! Just finding out your diagnosis is hard but then the waiting...waiting, all the waiting in between then and finding out your treatment plan is so hard. I was diagnosed the 24th of July and am starting chemo this Thursday. I will have 4 rounds, then a masectomy, then 4 more rounds of chemo. Possibly some radiation thrown in there too.

I just wanted to take the time to welcome you to the board. There are a great group of women and men here who are all very knowledgeable and caring.

Love and Light,
    Vicki

Good luck Thursday Vicki
    Good luck Thursday Vicki with your chemo. Let us know how you do.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Hi VickiSam and welcome. I
    Hi VickiSam and welcome. I will put you in my prayers!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Belated welcome, Vicki
    Glad you found us, glad to have you. Though regretful for the reason.

We'll accompany you along the journey, each step of the way. Visit often.

Best wishes to you.