Tips and tricks for chemo. - would appreciate

Options
2»

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Hi 4slurpee
    Although I did not have the same chemo regimen as I am having now (CMF: Cytoxan, Methotrexate, 5FU), I can give you some general tips. Sucking candy or gum during the infusion should eliminate any metallic taste during infusion (which is the only time I get that side effect). Also, hydrate well. Drink lots of water and if you have diarrhea or anything that might deplete your stores of nutrients, drink gatorade. (You can tell if you need Gatorade by the color of your urine. It should be amber. If it is nearly clear, you are drinking too much water and not enough gatorade or sports drink.

If your doc. give you anti-nausea drugs to take, take them as directed. Once you become nauseated, it is harder to make it go away than preventing it altogether.

As far as mouth sores, a very helpful nurse suggested I rinse my mouth with water after eating anything. This is very helpful so even though i get mouth sores, they go away quickly and don't get big or painful.

Sleep as much as you can...sleep is healing.

If you take steroids, ask your Onc. to give you a prescription for Ativan to help you sleep while you're on the steroids. Don't be afraid to contact your oncologist's nurse with any questions you have. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Also, oncology nurses are great and know a lot. There is no need to suffer side effects if you don't have to. If you try a medication for a side effect and it doesn't work, call the nurse right away and ask for an alternative med. Don't worry about calling too much...that's what our health care providers are there for.

Finally, give yourself a break. Pamper yourself whenever you can. Indulge. Be well! Good luck with the chemo. Chemo is not pleasant, but it can and will be done.

Slurpee & Vicki
    I'm on the same "cocktail" you're having, Slurpee, but have the same chemo room setup that you do, Vicki. Reading Eli's description of her chemo center just made me turn green with envy (not nausea -- envy! :-)!

Vicki, definitely take more than crackers to eat -- did you ask them how long you'll be there the first time? I was there for five hours for my first one -- the nurse explained that they run the Taxotere verrrrrrry slowly the first time, in case of an allergic reaction. Like dmc, I took a picnic lunch with me (I brought a cooler) since I was going to be there so long -- and it turned out to be good that I ate well that day, because I had NO appetite for days afterward.

You may also want to take your own blanket -- they have them in my chemo room, but I kept getting cold anyway, and I felt bad asking the nurse to keep getting me more. And be sure to bring a nice big bottle of water!

(Honestly, between the cooler, blanket, duffel bag -- I showed up at my doctor's office looking like I was going camping! :-)

I was worried about getting bored out of my mind being there so long, but the Benadryl they gave me in the first IV made me so sleepy that I just dozed through most of it.

Traci
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

To help with nausea
    My doctor approved ginger tablets. I used the 250 mg. tablets and starting taking them 2-3 days before my treatments. I took 2 the first day and 3 the day before my treatment. I only threw up one time. I also had a prescrption from the doctor which helped in the 2-3 times I needed it. For my taxol the doctor told me to go to the vitamin shop and get glutamine powder. I took 2 teaspoons 3 times a day 2 days for before treatment and continued this for the day of treatment and 4 days after. It seems to have really helped with joint pain and tingling of the extremeties. The Taxol has been much easier in general. Hope you do well.

I was never on chemo, but, I
    I was never on chemo, but, I wanted to wish you good luck. Seems you have a lot of good advice here. Hope it helps you!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Slurpee & Vicki
    I'm on the same "cocktail" you're having, Slurpee, but have the same chemo room setup that you do, Vicki. Reading Eli's description of her chemo center just made me turn green with envy (not nausea -- envy! :-)!

Vicki, definitely take more than crackers to eat -- did you ask them how long you'll be there the first time? I was there for five hours for my first one -- the nurse explained that they run the Taxotere verrrrrrry slowly the first time, in case of an allergic reaction. Like dmc, I took a picnic lunch with me (I brought a cooler) since I was going to be there so long -- and it turned out to be good that I ate well that day, because I had NO appetite for days afterward.

You may also want to take your own blanket -- they have them in my chemo room, but I kept getting cold anyway, and I felt bad asking the nurse to keep getting me more. And be sure to bring a nice big bottle of water!

(Honestly, between the cooler, blanket, duffel bag -- I showed up at my doctor's office looking like I was going camping! :-)

I was worried about getting bored out of my mind being there so long, but the Benadryl they gave me in the first IV made me so sleepy that I just dozed through most of it.

Traci

Traci....
    I knew I remembered someone who wondered where the slave boys were feeding you grapes in the chemo room? It was you. Yeah, mine is the same. The patients in the doctors office can even see you when they are walking by. No privacy.

I want to be prepared with plenty to do too. They are putting benadryl in my cocktail too so possibly I will drop off to sleep. They said I will be there two and a half hours. I am happy it is such a short time, that is why I was only bringing crackers! But it makes sense to eat a hefty lunch. I am also going to take candy to suck on for the metallic taste like someone else suggested.

You cracked me up when you said you looked like you were going camping when you got to your doctor's office. That will be me. Did they have extra room for someone to sit with you? In mine, they don't and I am bummed about it.

Thanks for the info for us both!!
    Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Traci....
    I knew I remembered someone who wondered where the slave boys were feeding you grapes in the chemo room? It was you. Yeah, mine is the same. The patients in the doctors office can even see you when they are walking by. No privacy.

I want to be prepared with plenty to do too. They are putting benadryl in my cocktail too so possibly I will drop off to sleep. They said I will be there two and a half hours. I am happy it is such a short time, that is why I was only bringing crackers! But it makes sense to eat a hefty lunch. I am also going to take candy to suck on for the metallic taste like someone else suggested.

You cracked me up when you said you looked like you were going camping when you got to your doctor's office. That will be me. Did they have extra room for someone to sit with you? In mine, they don't and I am bummed about it.

Thanks for the info for us both!!
    Love and Light,
    Vicki

Yep, that was me.
    What do you want to bet that Eli got slave boys peeling grapes for her? :-)

At my doctor's office, the chemo room is in the back, so it's just nurses walking by, but the bathroom is in the front, so when you're dragging the infusion cart thing with you to the bathroom, you're strolling among the other patients coming and going: "Hey, how ya doing, pardon me and my toxic chemicals."

They do allow one (they really emphasize ONE) person to sit with each chemo patient, though there's barely room for that. I agree with the person who suggested that you really push that, maybe at the very least could your fiance hang out in the waiting room and just come by to check on you once in awhile? That might give you more peace of mind.

Slurpee, have you seen your chemo room yet?

Traci
  • j916
    j916 Member Posts: 141
    Options
    Tips
    I took an anti anxiety med prior to my chemo treatments, i think they really helped, and i also looked like i was going away for the weekend with my rolling pack that i took with me. I packed popscicles that i sucked on one after the other as they hand pushed in the first drug...must have worked, i never got even one mouth sore...then i packed both sugary and salty snacks..and ALWAYS made myself drink 2qts of liquid during chemo. The salty snacks helped with that because they made me thirsty. I took suduko books (which were hysterical to try and do because i did get very sleepy), the first time i took a mini dvd player with ear plugs to watch a movie, but slept through most of it, and taking your own blanket is a WONDERFUL idea!!
    The best of luck to you....also, sleep sleep sleep as much as you need to. Sometimes afterwards you just need to sleep from the tension let down...just do it! take care of yourself, let us know how you do!
    jeanne