Put my port in my thigh...

Options
Reikigemgirl
Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Anyone else have theirs there? My surgeon said that it usually takes 1/2 and hour to put a port in and my surgery took 2 1/2 hours. He couldn't find a vein that was big enough to use. He said my veins are extra tiny. I have 2 cuts in my upper body and 2 in my thigh. So, what do I do? Wear shorts to my chemo treatments so they can pull the leg up and reach the port?

Also I found out yesterday that my insurance doesn't pay for all of my chemo and that my portion of the Neulasta shot is $670!! Needless to say, I can't pay this. I was given three agencies to contact for help by my primary care physician's office. Incase anyone else is having problems with copays on their chemo meds, here they are:

Health Well Foundation: 1-800-675-8416
Patient Access: 1-866-316-7263
Patient Advocate for Copay Relief: 1-866-512-3861

I contacted the first one and the criteria are that you have to have insurance that won't pay all of it, a diagnosis that they cover (they said breast cancer is one of them)and be under a certain income level. I don't know what that level is. They are sending me paperwork for my doctor to fill out. So there are steps to take and things to do for it but it seems the help is out there. I was told in my pre-application that they did when I called that I qualify so now it's just getting all the paperwork into them. They also said it is 90 days retroactive after you are approved. Now if the chemo drug place just has a payment plan until then :>) Hope this info. can help someone else.

Love and Light my sisters,
Vicki

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry Vicki. I wish
    I am so sorry Vicki. I wish I could help you. Thank you for posting this very valuable information. I am sure several can use it. Good luck with it yourself and good luck with your chemo.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    I know that this is a stressful time
    and fighting the health insurance dragon shouldn't have to be a priority. Is there someone close to you that can fine comb your insurance policy and be a squeaky wheel? In my experience (not my cancer experience, thank goodness!), appealing health insurance denial of benefit responses can be very successful on your behalf. Thank you for sharing those phone numbers for alternative ways to get financial support for the cost of care. xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

and fighting the health insurance dragon shouldn't have to be a priority. Is there someone close to you that can fine comb your insurance policy and be a squeaky wheel? In my experience (not my cancer experience, thank goodness!), appealing health insurance denial of benefit responses can be very successful on your behalf. Thank you for sharing those phone numbers for alternative ways to get financial support for the cost of care. xoxoxoxo Lynn

I hope you get some luck
    I hope you get some luck with the expense of chemo. Hope those sites you posted can help you. Sorry Vicki.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

I hope you get some luck
    I hope you get some luck with the expense of chemo. Hope those sites you posted can help you. Sorry Vicki.

It just isn't right that
    It just isn't right that with all that you go thru that you have to deal with this. Can the cancer center help you out maybe? With financing or an alternate plan?
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Vicki, have you point blank
    Vicki, have you point blank asked the oncologist if he could see if the hospital would pay for your chemo? I know that most cancer center's have money set aside for this. You might ask.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

With all that you are going
    With all that you are going thru, it is so unfair that you have to worry about the cost of treatment. I hope that you can get some help. Thanks for posting this info for others.

Hugs,Leeza
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Very kind of you to post
    Very kind of you to post this information. You are such a kind and smart lady!

Wishing you good luck with your chemo Vicki.

Please post and keep us updated on how you are.

Praying for you!

Lex♥