Long living famous women with breast cancer

Options
carnic8488
carnic8488 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just saw the movie Julie and Julia last night and when I got home I googled Julia Child and didn't realize that she had breast cancer and a mastectomy and she lived a long full life. This is a wonderful movie and will help take your mind off cancer and on to food and wine!

Comments

• taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Food and wine... I'm in...
    Food and wine... I'm in... and what a great inspiration!

♥ & Hugs

~T
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Julie and Julia
    So the bc wasn't mentioned in the movie? That's interesting...I just heard a Terry Gross (Fresh Air on NPR) replay interview with Julia Child yesterday, and bc wasn't mentioned on it either. Other long-living famous women that people can add to this thread? xoxoxo Lynn
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Julie and Julia
    So the bc wasn't mentioned in the movie? That's interesting...I just heard a Terry Gross (Fresh Air on NPR) replay interview with Julia Child yesterday, and bc wasn't mentioned on it either. Other long-living famous women that people can add to this thread? xoxoxo Lynn

Lynn
    I will add all of us, cannot name everyone because there are so many! but we are all long-living and very famous amongst ourselves and our friends/family!
    =^..^=
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    bc in the past
    I found out so many people I knew had bc years ago. Back then it just wasn't spoken. When I informed my family and Robert's, I received replies from his aunt and cousin. they both had bc, 30 years ago and 20 years ago. Both had mastectomies and reconstruction. I did not know about either of them. The mindset back then was to keep it quiet. You don't speak about it. As opposed to now, when I decided to announce it to everyone in the office because I wanted them all to feel comfortable while watching me go through the journey and be ok with asking me any questions that popped into their heads.
    I am sure there are probably a lot of people out there who felt they couldn't share, there was no site available to them like we have here. Hard to say, but we are very lucky in that since we had to get the beast, at least it is "today" instead of "yesterday".
    Thanks for letting us know about Julia Childs, carnic8488
    Cat
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Lynn
    I will add all of us, cannot name everyone because there are so many! but we are all long-living and very famous amongst ourselves and our friends/family!
    =^..^=

thanks for adding all of us! : )
    And you make a good point in your next post that in the past, cancer wasn't always talked about. Lynn
  • j916
    j916 Member Posts: 141
    Options
    Nancy Regan
    Had bc in 1987.....long time survivor! :)
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Contemporaries...
    Melissa Etheridge, Sheryl Crow, Christina Applegate, Jacklyn Smith, Edie Falco... These are just a few that come to mind.

I'm always heartened when a "celebrity" makes public her own BC battle. Provides an enormous amount of awareness for our cause.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

Contemporaries...
    Melissa Etheridge, Sheryl Crow, Christina Applegate, Jacklyn Smith, Edie Falco... These are just a few that come to mind.

I'm always heartened when a "celebrity" makes public her own BC battle. Provides an enormous amount of awareness for our cause.

And just recently Maura
    And just recently Maura Tierney.
    Stef
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    fauxma said:

And just recently Maura
    And just recently Maura Tierney.
    Stef

US! ☺
    I think I will add all of us too!