Eating assistance

Options
2»

Comments

• Janet3
    Janet3 Member Posts: 59
    Options

DQ Blizzards
    I will ask the dr about the magic mouthwash Monday. I still think I may have had a sore in my throat, but it feels better now.

Applesauce and graham crackers have been my staples so far. I'll try some of the other suggested foods this next time.

Last night, because I have been able to eat the last 3 days, we decided to get DQ Thin Mint Blizzards. Yum, my favorite. I could only eat about 1/2 and something just didn't feel right, so I quit and tossed it out. Within about 5 minutes I noticed my lips were tingling and my tongue felt funny. I went to say something to my daughter and I couldn't form words properly. My tongue felt like it had swollen up. After looking at it in the mirror, I could tell that it was indeed swollen...quite thick too, just the front half. My older daughter suggested I drink something hot and maybe it would reverse the effects. Weird, but I drank some hot Tang and about 15 minutes later my tongue was back to normal. All I could do was laugh about the whole thing. Guess I won't be doing anymore blizzards until chemo is completely over.

So, if that happened with a blizzard, I'm wondering if it might happen with a milkshake?

~~Terry

Eating assistance
    I am new to this board and not a cancer patient. My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer 30JUNE09. My understanding is nothing cooler than room temperature and by that they mean close to your body temp for 5 - 7 days following chemo. My mom tried some cool water on day 5 after her first chemo and had that swollen tongue, razor blade in throat feeling, waited a couple more days and was fine with cold stuff. Everyone is different. You have to be careful. Best of luck with your fight. The magic mouthwash is wonderful. Some doctors call it pink magic. It works to numb your mouth/throat temporarily and helps to heal any open lesions. If for some chance your doc doesn't know about it, most pharmacists do.Good luck with this. I'm glad you still have your sense of humor!
    Janet
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    Janet3 said:

Eating assistance
    I am new to this board and not a cancer patient. My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer 30JUNE09. My understanding is nothing cooler than room temperature and by that they mean close to your body temp for 5 - 7 days following chemo. My mom tried some cool water on day 5 after her first chemo and had that swollen tongue, razor blade in throat feeling, waited a couple more days and was fine with cold stuff. Everyone is different. You have to be careful. Best of luck with your fight. The magic mouthwash is wonderful. Some doctors call it pink magic. It works to numb your mouth/throat temporarily and helps to heal any open lesions. If for some chance your doc doesn't know about it, most pharmacists do.Good luck with this. I'm glad you still have your sense of humor!
    Janet

Hi Janet!
    Just wanted to welcome you to the board as well! So sorry to hear about your mom, but you'll find alot of good support here!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    Options

DQ Blizzards
    I will ask the dr about the magic mouthwash Monday. I still think I may have had a sore in my throat, but it feels better now.

Applesauce and graham crackers have been my staples so far. I'll try some of the other suggested foods this next time.

Last night, because I have been able to eat the last 3 days, we decided to get DQ Thin Mint Blizzards. Yum, my favorite. I could only eat about 1/2 and something just didn't feel right, so I quit and tossed it out. Within about 5 minutes I noticed my lips were tingling and my tongue felt funny. I went to say something to my daughter and I couldn't form words properly. My tongue felt like it had swollen up. After looking at it in the mirror, I could tell that it was indeed swollen...quite thick too, just the front half. My older daughter suggested I drink something hot and maybe it would reverse the effects. Weird, but I drank some hot Tang and about 15 minutes later my tongue was back to normal. All I could do was laugh about the whole thing. Guess I won't be doing anymore blizzards until chemo is completely over.

So, if that happened with a blizzard, I'm wondering if it might happen with a milkshake?

~~Terry

oh you are brave for trying
    oh you are brave for trying a blizzard! But yes, I have heard that something hot will reverse the symptoms. My feeling in my throat was that there was something stuck there, like an aspirin or something. I would wash it down with room temp tap water, didn't help. One of the chemo nurses said it was the oxil, and to only drink warm or hot liquid. So I would put a 6 pack of grape soda in the sun! yummy!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Three little letters
    P
    O
    T
    It works wonders, it helps with nausea, appetite, mood.

I agree with Starleen.
    -p