Is there anyone else who's blood work shows that they can NOT take Tamoxifen????????

Options
taleena
taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having the hardest time finding reliable information on Zoladex also called Goserelin...I will have to have these injections for 5 years along with Femara, because my body won't metabolize Tamox.... has anyone else had these injections??????????????????????

I know I'm strange... (I guess only 6-7% of people can't metabloize it and go figure I fall in there).... but surely someone else has had this problem too....?? gulp... please..

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Sorry Taleena, I'm not a
    Sorry Taleena, I'm not a poor metabolizer but an intermediate which apparently makes up for about ~25% of the population and no one is sure how to dose Tamoxifen for that. I have to say it's wonderful you don't have to waste 5 yrs on something that isn't going to work for you. Alot of oncs won't test the cyp2d6 gene, I had to do it on my own. I was never offered Zoladex but I was post menopausal. Here's some info I found but I'm sure you've already seen it. I'll post it anyway. Good luck to you.

hugs
    jan

Brand Name
    Zoladex
    Common Name
    goserelin

DIN (Drug Identification Number)

02049325 ZOLADEX INJ DEPOT 3.6MG

How does this medication work? What will it do for me?

Goserelin is a medication that mimics the actions of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH or LHRH), a hormone that affects the release of sex hormones such as testosterone and estrogen. Goserelin is used to treat prostate cancer, breast cancer (if it develops before or around the time of menopause), and endometriosis (a painful condition caused by growth of extra tissue inside or outside the uterus). It is also used to help thin the lining of the uterus before surgery on the uterus. Goserelin works by suppressing the production of testotersone and estrogen.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

Sorry Taleena, I'm not a
    Sorry Taleena, I'm not a poor metabolizer but an intermediate which apparently makes up for about ~25% of the population and no one is sure how to dose Tamoxifen for that. I have to say it's wonderful you don't have to waste 5 yrs on something that isn't going to work for you. Alot of oncs won't test the cyp2d6 gene, I had to do it on my own. I was never offered Zoladex but I was post menopausal. Here's some info I found but I'm sure you've already seen it. I'll post it anyway. Good luck to you.

hugs
    jan

Brand Name
    Zoladex
    Common Name
    goserelin

DIN (Drug Identification Number)

02049325 ZOLADEX INJ DEPOT 3.6MG

How does this medication work? What will it do for me?

Goserelin is a medication that mimics the actions of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH or LHRH), a hormone that affects the release of sex hormones such as testosterone and estrogen. Goserelin is used to treat prostate cancer, breast cancer (if it develops before or around the time of menopause), and endometriosis (a painful condition caused by growth of extra tissue inside or outside the uterus). It is also used to help thin the lining of the uterus before surgery on the uterus. Goserelin works by suppressing the production of testotersone and estrogen.

Thanks Jan... actually I had
    Thanks Jan... actually I had seen it... that and some other information is on the med sheet that the nurse gave me at my appointment with the onco... I just know after participating on these boards for several months...that though we do receive some information on things we don't neccessarily receive it all... just hoping someone else could offer some in sight..

Thanks again

Hugs

~T
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    taleena said:

Thanks Jan... actually I had seen it... that and some other information is on the med sheet that the nurse gave me at my appointment with the onco... I just know after participating on these boards for several months...that though we do receive some information on things we don't neccessarily receive it all... just hoping someone else could offer some in sight..

Thanks again

Hugs

~T

You might want to do a
    You might want to do a search on breastcancer.org. I'm sure there are women on it there and you might gain some insight as to what to expect.
    jan
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    taleena said:

Thanks again

Hugs

~T

How lucky are you?
    Leave it up to me to find the good in a bad situation. Have you thought about what surpressing testosterone means for your body?? You know why men are hairier than us, right? TESTOSTERONE!!!!! This means all your hair will grow slower!! Not good for the hair on your head if you were auditioning for Lady Godiva or maybe Raponzel (sp) but certainly a plus on all the other areas you have to shave!!! Wow, can I be jealous now???? (:-) Pammy

PS) Just look at my picture....I can use a testosterone reduction!!!!!