Herceptin fever

Options
cathlinberreth01
cathlinberreth01 Member Posts: 38
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So

I had my second infusion of Herceptin yesterday am. I threw up and had chills DURING my first infusion (which was with my main chemotherapy) but seemed to only have standard chemo side effects like nausea, fatigue, sore mouth after the fact.

Well during this second infusion of Herceptin I got a fever.
Last night, I was still at work and I felt very unwell. I got chills really bad and had to go home. My fever was low-grade 99.7 and I took Tylenol. An hour later I was worse at 100.1. They told me to call if I had a fever of 100 or more, so I called my clinic's answering service. The doctor told me that since my counts had all been very good that day not to worry unless it got to 102.

The fever finally went down again and I slept. But woke up at five with 99.8 again. More Tylenol.

Anyone else gotten chills and fever from Herceptin? Anything to be done besides Tylenol?

I am also still fighting swelling in my armpit from my biopsy. I have to keep a rolled up bunch of socks in my armpit held in there by a large ace bandage wrapped around my body. It seems to help but it still hurts. They told me I might have to wear it for a month or more! I feel like "Boys Don't Cry" with my boobs all wrapped up. If I don't wrap them they push out under the ace bandage and ache.

I had non-Hodgkins before (1995) and have cardiomyopathy from the adriamycin and radiation back then. So I have to have heart medication the rest of my life and my heart is being monitored on herceptin. So I have another echocardiogram next month to see how it is holding up.

I am actually doing okay and trying NOT to think that it is going to get much worse before it gets better. I have a bilateral mastectomy coming up around October. ACK.

Comments

• Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Herceptin
    I am sorry the Herceptin infusion is causing fever and chills, ACK. You can't be getting much rest. I don't take Herceptin, but many here do. You will be hearing from them soon, I'm sure. Just wanted to send my sympathies and hope that the flu-like symptoms pass.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Cathlin
    I am interested in how you did with your other chemo drugs before the Herceptin, I have not had any problems since I am on Herceptin alone. I know they do tell you to watch for heart palpations, and call your doctor if you feel your heart is beating irregularly. Could it be that the fever is from the swelling in your armpit? Maybe you should get this all checked out. Fever could be a sign of infection.

I hope you keep us posted, I am sending good wishes and hugs your way,
    Jackie
  • cathlinberreth01
    Options
    rjjj said:

Cathlin
    I am interested in how you did with your other chemo drugs before the Herceptin, I have not had any problems since I am on Herceptin alone. I know they do tell you to watch for heart palpations, and call your doctor if you feel your heart is beating irregularly. Could it be that the fever is from the swelling in your armpit? Maybe you should get this all checked out. Fever could be a sign of infection.

I hope you keep us posted, I am sending good wishes and hugs your way,
    Jackie

fever
    It isn't infection. The swelling is lymph fluid. They have had to drain the site TWICE. It looks like apple juice (or pee). But the incision has healed already because surgery was July 8th. I haven't had any signs of infection and they looked at the site the day I got the Herceptin.

Yeah,if I thought it was infected I would be in the ER right away! Lots of other friends have asked me the same thing.

I had my first chemo (Taxotere and carboplatin) plus Hercpetin on July 21st with a Neulasta shot the next day. I couldn't tell what was from chemo because my armpit was so swollen and hurting that I was taking Percocet (which doesn't agree with me). I couldn't really tell what was from what. But I had nausea, fatigue, sore mouth and throat, sore joints (from Neulasta I think)and that basic flu-like unwell feeling. But I didn't have a fever.

They told me yesterday that I shouldn't have any side effects of the Herceptin because I didn't have any reaction to it last time. Oh well.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options

fever
    It isn't infection. The swelling is lymph fluid. They have had to drain the site TWICE. It looks like apple juice (or pee). But the incision has healed already because surgery was July 8th. I haven't had any signs of infection and they looked at the site the day I got the Herceptin.

Yeah,if I thought it was infected I would be in the ER right away! Lots of other friends have asked me the same thing.

I had my first chemo (Taxotere and carboplatin) plus Hercpetin on July 21st with a Neulasta shot the next day. I couldn't tell what was from chemo because my armpit was so swollen and hurting that I was taking Percocet (which doesn't agree with me). I couldn't really tell what was from what. But I had nausea, fatigue, sore mouth and throat, sore joints (from Neulasta I think)and that basic flu-like unwell feeling. But I didn't have a fever.

They told me yesterday that I shouldn't have any side effects of the Herceptin because I didn't have any reaction to it last time. Oh well.

Herceptin
    I was also on the carboplatin and taxotere plus Herceptin, finished this regimen in May, and now am on Herceptin alone. I also had nausea, fatigue and sore throat, from the combo. But now that I am on just Herceptin alone I have none of these symptoms. I only had to have the Neulasta once...but am thinking that could be the culprit.

You really shouldn't have side effects from Herceptin since it leaves your good cells alone and just targets cancer receptors, as in a preventative measure.
    Hope you feel better soon and contact your Dr. If not.
    Hugs, jackie
  • cathlinberreth01
    Options
    rjjj said:

Herceptin
    I was also on the carboplatin and taxotere plus Herceptin, finished this regimen in May, and now am on Herceptin alone. I also had nausea, fatigue and sore throat, from the combo. But now that I am on just Herceptin alone I have none of these symptoms. I only had to have the Neulasta once...but am thinking that could be the culprit.

You really shouldn't have side effects from Herceptin since it leaves your good cells alone and just targets cancer receptors, as in a preventative measure.
    Hope you feel better soon and contact your Dr. If not.
    Hugs, jackie

I am feeling better this
    I am feeling better this morning. I looked through my Herceptin pamphlet and fever is the first side effect they mention. :) Though the nurses told me side effects are rare. The other is the heart effects.

I will make sure to tell my doctor though. It took me for a loop and I wasn't expecting it.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

I am feeling better this
    I am feeling better this morning. I looked through my Herceptin pamphlet and fever is the first side effect they mention. :) Though the nurses told me side effects are rare. The other is the heart effects.

I will make sure to tell my doctor though. It took me for a loop and I wasn't expecting it.

Glad you are feeling better.
    Glad you are feeling better. Yes, tell your doctor about the fever!

Good luck!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

I am feeling better this

So, fever is one of the side
    So, fever is one of the side effects? Don't the nurses or doctors tell you this?

Glad you feel better!