Thank you so much for all the help (from new member) - Full of anxiety.....

Daledj85
Daledj85 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Thank you for all the responses. I did not expect so much information in a short amount of time. You are all so amazing and inspirational. As each one of you know, this is soooooooo very difficult. Thanks for being there for me.

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    I didn't have the same experience,so can't help you there
    but there are several people on here who can.
    Just know that you are not alone.
  • maya00i
    maya00i Member Posts: 42
    Herception
    I had Herception and a few other gooodies plus radiation. I would feel sick a few days after than be fine until the next treatment. I had prepared foods that I could tolerate and have them in the house. Gingerale,rice,pudding,pastina.Be perpared when to go also bring something to drink and to nibble on.Puzzles, anything to keep you occupied.I was there usally four to five hours.The radiation is a snap. No reaction at all other then being tired.You can not use deoderant or creams other then when you leave that day put lotion on the area,it gets pretty dry.Hope this helps.Best of luck.Were here when you need to talk.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    maya00i said:

Herception
    I had Herception and a few other gooodies plus radiation. I would feel sick a few days after than be fine until the next treatment. I had prepared foods that I could tolerate and have them in the house. Gingerale,rice,pudding,pastina.Be perpared when to go also bring something to drink and to nibble on.Puzzles, anything to keep you occupied.I was there usally four to five hours.The radiation is a snap. No reaction at all other then being tired.You can not use deoderant or creams other then when you leave that day put lotion on the area,it gets pretty dry.Hope this helps.Best of luck.Were here when you need to talk.

Herceptin
    Herceptin is not a chemo drug. I had Herceptin w/Taxol once a week for 12 weeks and then will start on Herceptin alone in August for a year. I did not have nausea with Herceptin.
    Before the Herceptin w/Taxol I had Adrmyacin with Cytoxan. I also did not have nausea with these chemo drugs either. My oncologist gave me anti-nausea pills to take and they worked for me.

Welcome to this awesome board.

Margo
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Dale........
    Hello and welcome.

I am having Herceptin it is a breeze, no real problems, so don't stress too much over it.

I also had A/C chemo and Abraxane. Plus 28 rounds of rads.

Hugs,

CR
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    CR1954 said:

Dale........
    Hello and welcome.

I am having Herceptin it is a breeze, no real problems, so don't stress too much over it.

Hugs,

CR

Herceptin
    Like Margo ... I had weekly treatments of herceptin and taxol ... and had no problems. What side effects I did have were from the taxol and not the herceptin. I'm now doing the herceptin every 3 weeks until March. As CR said ... it's a breeze. I was more afraid of needles than the actual treatments ... so I'm very thankful that I had a port installed. It's great! So ... now every 3 weeks I just put a blob of EMLA cream on my port spot an hour before I get the herceptin ... and the rest of it is a breeze. I don't feel a thing ... before, during ... or after. You'll do just great.

hugs.
    teena
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Sorry Daledj,
    Guess it was so late when i answered last night that I didn't read your whole post! I have had chemo and rads,just not herceptin .
    Yes,with cancer there's a lot of fear of the unknown unfortunately.
    The ladies here will be quick to post as they already have,and there are other posts on here about chemo and rads that are good for reading too.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Dale...
    Just wanted to welcome you. You are in great company here. I did not have herceptin. However, I am posting a daily blog of my Rads treatment if you become curious on what it will be like. Good luck. There are lots of amazing women that will respond to you with great wisdom. (:-) Pammy
  • Daledj85
    CR1954 said:

Dale........
    Hello and welcome.

Hugs,

CR

Thank you so much. To be
    Thank you so much. To be honest I am scared and nervous just waiting until 08/12 for the first treatment. Sigh................
    Thanks so much for the information and encouragement!!! Hugs
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497

Herceptin
    Herceptin is not a chemo drug. I had Herceptin w/Taxol once a week for 12 weeks and then will start on Herceptin alone in August for a year. I did not have nausea with Herceptin.
    Before the Herceptin w/Taxol I had Adrmyacin with Cytoxan. I also did not have nausea with these chemo drugs either. My oncologist gave me anti-nausea pills to take and they worked for me.

Welcome to this awesome board.

Margo

Margo
    I am on the same treatment plan as you. I just had my last Adriamycin/Cytoxan treatment last Thurday. I have been still feeling crappy the last few days. I have been light headed after this last treatment. I put a call into the doc. The nurse called back and said the doc wasn't concerned about this. I will see him this Tues. to make sure all is OK. My question is, I will be starting Taxol/ Herceptin treatments next. Did you have any side effects with the 2 drugs. What should I expect? Thanks, Diane
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Daledj85 said:

Thank you so much. To be
    Thank you so much. To be honest I am scared and nervous just waiting until 08/12 for the first treatment. Sigh................
    Thanks so much for the information and encouragement!!! Hugs

Hi Daledj and Welcome. Are
    Hi Daledj and Welcome. Are you the one that had bc 3 years ago and just now had your lymph nodes tested?

Just trying to figure this out. That is what I read on the Tamoxifen thread that you wrote.

Thanks!
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Just wanted to make sure
    Just wanted to make sure that I welcomed you here ... you are in great and amazing company... though each of us travels this path with different experiences, and even some similar... we are all here together... to support eachother for whatever this journey brings...

hugs

~T
  • Daledj85
    Alexis F said:

Hi Daledj and Welcome. Are
    Hi Daledj and Welcome. Are you the one that had bc 3 years ago and just now had your lymph nodes tested?

Just trying to figure this out. That is what I read on the Tamoxifen thread that you wrote.

Thanks!

Yes, Alexis F. I had bc three years ago with negative lymph nodes. After surgery I was placed on tamoxifin. Now, because of positive axillary lymph nodes I need to have chemo treatments, herceptin and radiation. The MDs were quite surprised and said "it was not suppose to happen" because my initial dx was DCIS. So now I am scared and trying to get some sense out of all this. How do you cope with the unanswered questions (....why?) How come night time is more difficult as my mind just wanders? How do I get a full nights sleep without waking in a panic?
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Daledj85 said:

Yes, Alexis F. I had bc three years ago with negative lymph nodes. After surgery I was placed on tamoxifin. Now, because of positive axillary lymph nodes I need to have chemo treatments, herceptin and radiation. The MDs were quite surprised and said "it was not suppose to happen" because my initial dx was DCIS. So now I am scared and trying to get some sense out of all this. How do you cope with the unanswered questions (....why?) How come night time is more difficult as my mind just wanders? How do I get a full nights sleep without waking in a panic?

Ok, thanks for replying.
    Ok, thanks for replying. But, why or how did all of this happen now? Did you get breast cancer again? Did you find something new or did someone do a test for some reason? I don't mean to pry, but, I am just trying to understand. Is this a recurrence of your original breast cancer? Or, a new cancer?

I always find that my oncologist, plastic surgeon or radiation oncologist can answer my questions fully and completely. They are the ones with the knowledge. Make an appt. if you need more answers. Hope they can help you.

Lex
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Daledj85
    You wonder about night time anxiety and panic attacks...I think all of us have been there. Talk to your doctor about getting some xanax or alprazolam to settle you down. Getting your sleep is a big deal so go to bed earlier in case you do wake up and if the doc will give you somethiing you should be able to get back to sleep... unanswered questions are really hard, I do know that.

Hang in there...we are all here for you
    Hugs
    Linda T
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    chickad52 said:

Margo
    I am on the same treatment plan as you. I just had my last Adriamycin/Cytoxan treatment last Thurday. I have been still feeling crappy the last few days. I have been light headed after this last treatment. I put a call into the doc. The nurse called back and said the doc wasn't concerned about this. I will see him this Tues. to make sure all is OK. My question is, I will be starting Taxol/ Herceptin treatments next. Did you have any side effects with the 2 drugs. What should I expect? Thanks, Diane

Diane
    Diane and others who are on this cocktail regime: Taxol is milder on your system than A/C and Herceptin is not a chemo drug. I did not have any side effects per say from any of my treatments so far.

Well maybe a few:
    Loss of hair--most everywhere
    discoloration of nails
    chemo induce menopause

But I was never sick.

Doctor monitors my heart by doing echocardiogram every three months-to make sure the heart is working properly.

Margo
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Akiss4me said:

Hi Dale...
    Just wanted to welcome you. You are in great company here. I did not have herceptin. However, I am posting a daily blog of my Rads treatment if you become curious on what it will be like. Good luck. There are lots of amazing women that will respond to you with great wisdom. (:-) Pammy

Thanks
    Thanks for posting your Rads experience. I shall use that info when I cross that bridge. Just getting started with chemo.

P
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497

Diane
    Diane and others who are on this cocktail regime: Taxol is milder on your system than A/C and Herceptin is not a chemo drug. I did not have any side effects per say from any of my treatments so far.

Well maybe a few:
    Loss of hair--most everywhere
    discoloration of nails
    chemo induce menopause

But I was never sick.

Doctor monitors my heart by doing echocardiogram every three months-to make sure the heart is working properly.

Margo

Thank You Margo
    Thanks Margo for your information. You kind of eased my mind. I hope that the Taxol/Herceptin is not as harsh. I do have palpitations and the doc has done 2 echocardiagrams to monitor my heart. I will get the results of my second one on Tues. Hugs, Diane