another quick question

arbojenn
arbojenn Member Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having my reconstructed breast re excised mid august due to a recurrence. Have done the biopsies, know the tumors are er postivie and that the femara works. Why will they do a biopsy on the stuff they remove at surgery? We already know it is cancer and what will work. Will they be able to discover something else? What is LEFT to discover about it? Is is important to do that? Is it another test to wait for the result? It's been a long time since I've had my original mastectomy and I've forgotten so much: After ten years, I though I could erase that database. Reading your posts helps me remember. But so many things are new this time around: like FEMARA, not CHEMO which I like. And RADS this time. The posts are preparing me for this.

Any ideas on why they send the removed tissue to the lab when whey already know what kind of cancer it is?

Thank you. I think my sleeping pills are making me weird tonight.

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    I really can't answer your
    I really can't answer your questions arbojenn. I wish I could, but, I can't. These are questions your oncologist and plastic surgeon need to answer.

I take it that you had a mastectomy and reconstruction and bc came back there?

I am so sorry. Please keep us updated.

Hugs, Diane
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    DianeBC said:

I really can't answer your
    I really can't answer your questions arbojenn. I wish I could, but, I can't. These are questions your oncologist and plastic surgeon need to answer.

I take it that you had a mastectomy and reconstruction and bc came back there?

I am so sorry. Please keep us updated.

Hugs, Diane

Arbojenn, I am so sorry.
    Arbojenn, I am so sorry. You sound so confused about all of this, which is normal.

Please call your oncologist and tell him about all of your concerns. He will be able to

put your mind at ease, I hope.

Hugs, Kylez
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Kylez said:

Arbojenn, I am so sorry.
    Arbojenn, I am so sorry. You sound so confused about all of this, which is normal.

Please call your oncologist and tell him about all of your concerns. He will be able to

put your mind at ease, I hope.

Hugs, Kylez

I don't know the answers
    I don't know the answers Arbojenn. These are for your doctors to answer. Have you called and said that you need these answers? That would be my suggestion.

So sorry for your recurrence.

Praying for you!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    DianeBC said:

I don't know the answers
    I don't know the answers Arbojenn. These are for your doctors to answer. Have you called and said that you need these answers? That would be my suggestion.

So sorry for your recurrence.

Praying for you!

Call your oncologist and
    Call your oncologist and make an appointment to sit down and go over these with him.

Good luck to you!

Hugs,

Leeza
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    In my non professional opinion
    I am not sure, but I think it is state law that excised "things" have to be sent to a lab for pathology. Not only to rule things in and out,but probably, in our litigious society, to stave off malpractice suits and who knows what else! Because on the off chance that there is something other than what they already know, and yet they didn't do a pathology report on the tissue, can you imagine the lawsuits which would follow? Maybe not in your circumstance, but surely it could happen to someone!!! It is probably part and parcel of being vigilant and cautious at the same time! But it's just a theory~ I can't prove it at all! :-)

Hugs,
    Claudia