Options
2»

Comments

• lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    pbcsn00 said:

freaking out
    Laura - I completely understand. Not exactly knowing what will happen does throw you for a loop! I completed 12 rounds of chemo in January 2009. I had a port put in a week before chemo started. I didn't know what to expect either which is the scariest part. Once you have one treatment, the mystery is gone and it gets a lot easier.

My treatments lasted 4-6 hours because they will draw blood first to run tests before the pharmacist will make up you "chemo cocktail". There is typically an hour of wait time minimum for this to happen as well as getting weighed in (how wonderful!) and your blood pressure checked and a chat with the nurse to see how you are doing.

My treatment center had a large room where 5-6 patients received treatment and you could draw a curtain if you wanted privacy. They also had individual rooms with TV's.

My daughter came with me the first time which definitely took the "edge" off. The treatment did not hurt and I did become sleepy in latter treatments and would nap. You should bring water and snacks unless your facility provides them along with a good book,Ipod,computer or DVD player with earphones - it will make things go quicker.

I had an Internet card in my computer so I would bring my cell phone and computer and work almost the entire time (except in later rounds where I did more sleeping!)when I had a private room.

I definitely did not have the nausea you see in the movies where they are vomiting all the time. I never lost it! I had some nausea but they give you meds to help so take them. Be prepared with a BIG pill box for multi-dose daily pills to keep you on track. I always had a burst of energy the first few days from the steroids and would lose ensrgy and be a bit emotional on day 4 and 5 when the steroids were wearing off.

Some folks brought a bevy of friends or family. If you keep busy with any of the suggestions, the time will go quicker.

It is definitely worth the fight and keep a positive attitude. Smile often and you will get through it!

Patti

Thank you guys so much for
    Thank you guys so much for all the info on what to expect. Now i know bout what im getting into. The reason why i hate my onc is because i feel like she is always in a rush and doesnt take the time with me like she should. Shes snooty too, and im not so we clash. And also when i had called her before my last appt about the swollen lymph nodes it took them two days to call me back and all they said was it wasnt my bc. She tried to diagnose me over the phone and didnt even ask me to come in! And her being in such a hurry at my last appt caused me to forget to ask her what the chemo treatments were like. Thank god i have you wonderful people here for me. I would be a total basket case if i didnt. Thank you all soo much again. Lots of hugs and prayers.

laura
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    lolad said:

Thank you guys so much for all the info on what to expect. Now i know bout what im getting into. The reason why i hate my onc is because i feel like she is always in a rush and doesnt take the time with me like she should. Shes snooty too, and im not so we clash. And also when i had called her before my last appt about the swollen lymph nodes it took them two days to call me back and all they said was it wasnt my bc. She tried to diagnose me over the phone and didnt even ask me to come in! And her being in such a hurry at my last appt caused me to forget to ask her what the chemo treatments were like. Thank god i have you wonderful people here for me. I would be a total basket case if i didnt. Thank you all soo much again. Lots of hugs and prayers.

laura

HMMM
    Laura you need to tell her in a most sincere fashion that you know she is busy and her time is valuable but so is yours and yours in on the line right now. You need to let her know if you feel you are being rushed that you have concerns that need to be addressed and ask her to please give you a few more minutes since this is a serious illness you are dealing with, its not like you have the sniffles. Back in the 70's when my mom first was dx she had to tell a doc as he was walking out the door "excuse me we are not done here". Needless to say he never short changed her again. Sending cyber hugs to you!

RE
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Laura........
    Please try and be calm. I know that it's so hard, but many of us have gone through chemo, dealt with any side effects, and moved forward. And the vast majority of us would do it again, if need be.

You can do this, and before long, you will be encouraging others who are just starting their journeys...

Hugs,

CR
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Laura........
    Please try and be calm. I know that it's so hard, but many of us have gone through chemo, dealt with any side effects, and moved forward. And the vast majority of us would do it again, if need be.

You can do this, and before long, you will be encouraging others who are just starting their journeys...

Hugs,

CR

Very wise words CR. :)

Very wise words CR. :)
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi Laura
    I truly know how you feel about being freaked out with starting the chemo. I just had my third cycle of adriamycina and cytoxin which I guess is pretty strong stuff. I have one more to go in 2 wks then will start taxol and hercepting for 4 cycles, then herceptin every 3 wks for 1 year. I got to the clinic at 8:30 this am and got home at 3:30pm. They give me 2 nausea meds iv plus decadron to help the nausea meds work better then the chemo.

I am on paxil as an antidepressant which took about 5 to 6 weeks to work and my internist just put me on xanax or alprazolam which I believe is a wonder drug. It really is helping my anxiety.

As far as your oncologist goes, if you could switch I might consider doing so...This is a hard thing to deal with and you dont need your doctor running out the door before youve asked all your questions.

Keep us posted... we are all here for you

Hugs
    Linda T
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    lolad said:

Thank you
    to everyone who has replied. It helps to know the details of what i will be going through. I love you guys. Im definately calling for nerve meds. Thanks again

laura

No Shame in Our Game
    Better living through chemistry I always say. Don't be afraid to ask for something any time you have symptoms. You don't have to endure any pain or discomfort. And don't be embarrassed by getting nerve or head meds. They do help. I had crying spells until I got on my meds. It's all good now or at least I don't lose it when it's not. You will get through this.

P
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    lolad said:

laura

Trade Her In
    Fire her arse and get you a new Onc. My Onc spent two hours reviewing everything with me. He wrote stuff down that explained my type of cancer and he gave me copies. He allowed me to tape record our conversation so I could remember what we discussed. When I have a problem, they get on it and call in meds very quickly. When I had a fever, they actually chewed my arse out for not calling. My vote, try another Onc. You do not need her attitude at this time. She needs to make this easy for you not harder.

P