Venting--had to take 3 hrs sick leave today

Options
tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm just venting because I had to take 3 hrs of sick leave today because it was over 90 in our office and I started feeling nauseous and my ankles are all swollen.

I brought in a dr.s note from my oncologist 5 wks ago about getting an air conditioner in our building and they never acted upon it until today when I sent the time keeper an email that I was leaving because it was too hot and I was sick.

Ever since March when I started chemo I never had to take any time off except for the time I was having chemo because I was never sick and today I had to take time because of the heat.

So now the form is signed now it has to go to two other places for approval before it goes to the director of the facility---hopefully an air conditioner will be put in before December.

Thanks for listening.

Margo

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Grrrrr!! Well, I am so sorry
    Grrrrr!! Well, I am so sorry you had to take valuable time off~ and yeah, the air conditioner might come in just in time for the first snow fall! Here's hoping that a fire gets put under the feet of those in charge of signatures, rather than it feeling like fire in the office!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I work for an HVAC
    I work for an HVAC contractor... you tell that boss man to call me... I will make sure he gets it hooked up!!! Okay.. really I can't do anything about it... sorry... But I sure can be mad about it with you!!!! I hope they get it in before December... slow pokes!

Hugs to you... and hopefully you are feeling better...

~T
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    I Hear Ya
    I work for a consulting firm so we go anywhere and everywhere. I have to perform work in schools and buildings that have shut off the AC except in the office. Lot of good that does me. The heat is a killer. I struggle with dehydration. I hope they get that fixed for you.

Take care,

P
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Grrrrr!! Well, I am so sorry
    Grrrrr!! Well, I am so sorry you had to take valuable time off~ and yeah, the air conditioner might come in just in time for the first snow fall! Here's hoping that a fire gets put under the feet of those in charge of signatures, rather than it feeling like fire in the office!

Hugs,
    Claudia

So sorry Margo. That just
    So sorry Margo. That just isn't fair. I hope you get ac very soon!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Crummy, no A/C...
    Yeah, hope the Facilities Manager, maintenance guy - whoever - finally gets off his butt and gets the office A/C fixed A.S.A.P.!!!

Kind regards, Susan

P.S.: Considering everything you've been going through with chemo... It's amazing to me that this is the first time (besides actual treatments) you've had to take "sick leave" from your full-time job. Amazing, you are.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Margo
    At least you can vent! lol! I work in a nursing home and the old people are always sooo cold if we turn the AC on, we give them sweaters and blankets and we are dripping sweat, but when an old sweet woman (or man) looks at you and says they are so cold please? well you just have to swallow it. I only work 4-5 hours a day though, and it isn't quite 90. I hope you get it settled. Sorry you got sick.
    hugs, jackie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Crummy, no A/C...
    Yeah, hope the Facilities Manager, maintenance guy - whoever - finally gets off his butt and gets the office A/C fixed A.S.A.P.!!!

Kind regards, Susan

P.S.: Considering everything you've been going through with chemo... It's amazing to me that this is the first time (besides actual treatments) you've had to take "sick leave" from your full-time job. Amazing, you are.

OMG Margo, that is horrible.
    OMG Margo, that is horrible. They should have that in for you already. I hope they get it very soon for you.

You vent all you want, you have a right too!

Lex
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Personal fan....
    Margo, I am so sorry you are working under these conditions. Stay on them!! Also, my husband bought me a personal fan (their smaller than reg fans) in anticipation of my hot flashes I will soon experience in the near future. Maybe you can bring one to work to help cool you down? They come in all different colors!! (:-) Pammy
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    :-(
    Margo I am so sorry that the co-worker in charge of taking care of the cooling system did not act on it until it caused you distress. I certainly hope it gets bumped up quickly has it seems to be a health and safety issue. Is it possible for them to supply a good dependable fan in the meantime to allow you some relief. I certainly hope they come through with some sort of plan to cool your job site down.

Hugs,

RE
  • tommaseena
    Options
    RE said:

:-(
    Margo I am so sorry that the co-worker in charge of taking care of the cooling system did not act on it until it caused you distress. I certainly hope it gets bumped up quickly has it seems to be a health and safety issue. Is it possible for them to supply a good dependable fan in the meantime to allow you some relief. I certainly hope they come through with some sort of plan to cool your job site down.

Hugs,

RE

fans
    We have plenty of fans but only blowing around hot air. I have been there for 11 years and most of those years I was in buildings without AC and have always dealt with it just fine but the big wig don't understand that chemo induce menopausse is different than if you go through menopause naturally. I have hot flashes and sweat 24/7 now.

If I have to I will go to another building to work that has AC until the ac is installed in our building.

Margo
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

fans
    We have plenty of fans but only blowing around hot air. I have been there for 11 years and most of those years I was in buildings without AC and have always dealt with it just fine but the big wig don't understand that chemo induce menopausse is different than if you go through menopause naturally. I have hot flashes and sweat 24/7 now.

If I have to I will go to another building to work that has AC until the ac is installed in our building.

Margo

Hope you get the ac soon
    Hope you get the ac soon Margo. So sorry. I can't believe you never missed work, even during chemo except for the treatment. Amazing!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options

fans

Margo

A/C
    I'm sorry its so hot there - my Mom's home a/c went out, then her dollar store fan burnt out, and being the sweet 87 year old she is, hollered at me over the phone to not call anyone - she would open the windows. So much for that - I made a couple calls and now she has air (it was over 90 degrees yesterday, and humid). Unfortunately, Margo, I hate to tell you its about 50 degrees in my office and I have on a jacket to keep me warm. I hope they fix it soon for you.
    Pat
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    padee6339 said:

A/C
    I'm sorry its so hot there - my Mom's home a/c went out, then her dollar store fan burnt out, and being the sweet 87 year old she is, hollered at me over the phone to not call anyone - she would open the windows. So much for that - I made a couple calls and now she has air (it was over 90 degrees yesterday, and humid). Unfortunately, Margo, I hate to tell you its about 50 degrees in my office and I have on a jacket to keep me warm. I hope they fix it soon for you.
    Pat

Hey Margo! I am so sorry.
    Hey Margo! I am so sorry. I hope today was better for you or maybe a cool front came thru and helped some.

I miss your jokes :(

Hugs, Noel
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

Hey Margo! I am so sorry.
    Hey Margo! I am so sorry. I hope today was better for you or maybe a cool front came thru and helped some.

I miss your jokes :(

Hugs, Noel

Margo, hope you get that ac
    Margo, hope you get that ac soon. Not fair at all.

Sorry you had to take off. Not fair again.

Hope today was better for you!
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    That really sucks Margo.
    I can understand totally, I do not do heat well at all. And I never took time off from work during treatment either, except my "chemo day". Pretty annoying when the chemo doesn't get you down, and your work atmosphere does. Do what you can to stay where there is a/c, and let your employers know they need to fix it sooner than December.
    Keep cool!
    =^..^=
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    cats_toy said:

That really sucks Margo.
    I can understand totally, I do not do heat well at all. And I never took time off from work during treatment either, except my "chemo day". Pretty annoying when the chemo doesn't get you down, and your work atmosphere does. Do what you can to stay where there is a/c, and let your employers know they need to fix it sooner than December.
    Keep cool!
    =^..^=

So, Margo, how did work go?
    So, Margo, how did work go? Did you get ac yet? Or, did you have to go work elsewhere?

Still so wrong for them to not get it for you right away.

Hope it cooled off for you today somehow!

Lex
  • tommaseena
    Options
    Alexis F said:

So, Margo, how did work go?
    So, Margo, how did work go? Did you get ac yet? Or, did you have to go work elsewhere?

Still so wrong for them to not get it for you right away.

Hope it cooled off for you today somehow!

Lex

Friday
    Sorry for the delay in the response.
    Friday was cooler in the office since there was no sunshine and just rain. It was in the 70's in the office--bearable.

One big wig has signed the letter from my oncologist--so now it has to go to three other big wigs and two of them are men who probably won't understand.

I am going to only be at work next week Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday Jake and I go to a camp until Saturday and then on the 10th I am in a golf tournament "Teeing it up for Ta Ta's" which supports local breast caner organizations. So on the 11th the AC better be there. While I am out my supervisor will keep tabs on this issue. I am so glad I have such a wonderful supervisor--she was just as upset about me having to leave work the other day as I was.

Margo
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi Margo
    I posted a reply to you thanking you for your input on the taxol/herceptin regimen vs the a/c and which was harder. But I wasnt sure you would see it.

Im sorry about the hassle you have had about the air conditioning at work. It amazes me that you have been able to work thru this...people have NO idea how gutsy you are going in day and day out. They should be more supportive and get that air conditioning in. I could never work in those conditions.

By the way did you have body aches with the taxol and how about neuropathy in the feet and hands?

Thanks lots again
    Hugs Linda T
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Margo
    I posted a reply to you thanking you for your input on the taxol/herceptin regimen vs the a/c and which was harder. But I wasnt sure you would see it.

Im sorry about the hassle you have had about the air conditioning at work. It amazes me that you have been able to work thru this...people have NO idea how gutsy you are going in day and day out. They should be more supportive and get that air conditioning in. I could never work in those conditions.

By the way did you have body aches with the taxol and how about neuropathy in the feet and hands?

Thanks lots again
    Hugs Linda T

I hope things got better at
    I hope things got better at work for you Margo.

I hope that they are working on getting ac for you in your office.
  • tommaseena
    Options

I hope things got better at
    I hope things got better at work for you Margo.

I hope that they are working on getting ac for you in your office.

Update
    Update--Air conditioner was put in yesterday afternoon in a small office upstairs in the building. Well it isn't in my office but I can go to that other office when I need to. I'm glad it is in now since it is going to be Hot and Humid through the middle of next week--they are calling for 90's.

Hugs,
    Margo