I signed up for the LAF 10K!!!!

Options
chenheart
chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Whooo hooo~ guess what?? I am going to be paricipating in a 10K on September 19th to benefit the Lance Armstong Foundation ( one of my absolute heros) and within seriously, 3 minutes of sending out my "begging" emails, someone pledged $100.00!!!! I was thinking in these times, I would get $5 and $10 donations~ you can imagine how amazingly thrilled I am!! And that is from only one person! YEAH!!!!!!

Hugs,
Claudia

Comments

• Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    WTG!
    I would say you are off to a good start Claudia! And, good luck with the race!

Hugs, Kristin
  • chenheart
    Options
    Kristin N said:

WTG!
    I would say you are off to a good start Claudia! And, good luck with the race!

Hugs, Kristin

Thank you!
    Yeah, good thing I have such long legs, huh?? LOL

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    You
    go girl!!
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi Claudia
    I am sorry but I am pretty new on this site and I dont remember what you have had done, if you had mastectomy or chemo. But I have been a runner for about 18 years and I am so excited that there is someone on this site who runs... Maybe I should ask. I am 2 treatments into Ac with 2 more to go every other week then 4 treatments of taxol and herceptin. I also had bilateral mastectomy in May with a second surgery in June and I cant run 1/2 at block without getting really tired with my heart rate racing. So I am biking instead. I did 10 miles on sunday and 8 miles yesterday but I had 21 nodes removed on the right side and whats left of my right breast gets so hard from swelling. Could you tell me how you did it? I am really afraid to try because I am afraid I wont be able to do it

I really miss it...Its a great stress reliever

Thanks for the tips

Linda T
  • chenheart
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Claudia
    I am sorry but I am pretty new on this site and I dont remember what you have had done, if you had mastectomy or chemo. But I have been a runner for about 18 years and I am so excited that there is someone on this site who runs... Maybe I should ask. I am 2 treatments into Ac with 2 more to go every other week then 4 treatments of taxol and herceptin. I also had bilateral mastectomy in May with a second surgery in June and I cant run 1/2 at block without getting really tired with my heart rate racing. So I am biking instead. I did 10 miles on sunday and 8 miles yesterday but I had 21 nodes removed on the right side and whats left of my right breast gets so hard from swelling. Could you tell me how you did it? I am really afraid to try because I am afraid I wont be able to do it

I really miss it...Its a great stress reliever

Thanks for the tips

Linda T

Hi Linda T~I have done lots
    Hi Linda T~

I have done lots since finishing treatment~ and believe you me, I am no Spring Chicken! The first thing I did was get physically stronger! Our local YMCA had a FREE 12 week training program for us cancer-types; it is called the Well-Fit program. I don't know how wide-spread these programs are, but perhaps it exists in your community as well.
    I actually didn't get back into running, my knees aren't as young and kind as they once were...but I have really, vigorously taken up walking. Not walking for slugs and slouches, either! LOL I have done half marathons, and multiple 5K's and I walk on uneven, even, uphill, downhill terrain 3X a week. Aside from the upcoming 10K, my next half-marathon is in November. Plus, I am now doing Jazzercise 3X a week, which really kicks my a$$ and gets those endorphins going as well as giving me a major workout. I laugh when new ones come into Jazzercise poo-poo-ing this piece of cake that they all did in the 1970's! The class I attend is full of a variety of age groups,the youngest being 18, the oldest in her 60's. And that 18yr old comes out as whipped as anyone else! :-)

For the record, I had a lumpectomy, lymphnode dissection ( 3 of 15 positive) did chemo, rads, and recently finished 5 years of Arimidex. I had all of the side-effects of these Life-Saving treatments~ pain, swelling, neuropathy, you name it, I had it. So, I checked with my oncologist, and got the go-ahead to be as physically active as my body would allow at any given time. It didn't happen overnight, but I did get it all back! I also danced when I got the opportunity, went camping, and did other physical things. Sometimes my body said mean, ugly things to me, and I listened to it. But it got used to me being active and I think it is happy I am!

I think it is wonderful that you want to run~ I feel certain it will happen for you! That you are biking is fabulous! You will continue to grow in strength and with your Dr's advice and approval, be to the place you want to be! Don't give up! Be determined, but not so over-anxious right now that you do yourself harm while you are getting healthy. Give yourself time to heal, and gain your strength. There is a reason you are tired with a racing heart~ please keep your Dr in the loop as to your activities and your future plans for running! I'm sure he will also encourage you!

You will make it, you are determined!!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • ninjamom
    ninjamom Member Posts: 142
    Options
    Claudia that's wonderful an
    Claudia that's wonderful an you're right in this times we think that people will be less generous but they always prove me wrong. My family is hosting a fashion show/afternoon desserts to benefit ACS Relay For Life and I'm finding that people who will not be able to make it are still sending donations.

Good luck to you, you make us proud :)

Patty
  • chenheart
    Options
    ninjamom said:

Claudia that's wonderful an
    Claudia that's wonderful an you're right in this times we think that people will be less generous but they always prove me wrong. My family is hosting a fashion show/afternoon desserts to benefit ACS Relay For Life and I'm finding that people who will not be able to make it are still sending donations.

Good luck to you, you make us proud :)

Patty

Patty~
    Yes, people are

Patty~
    Yes, people are amazing, aren't they?? You make me proud too ninja; and I know your fashionshow/dessert party will be a success as well! Good for you!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Thanks Claudia
    Thanks for the encouragement...Maybe my body is trying to tell me its too soon...all of my docs have said it was ok to go but I just dont know... But youre a great role model for me and it gives me hope that I can get back to it again

Thanks again

Hugs

Linda t
  • chenheart
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

Thanks Claudia
    Thanks for the encouragement...Maybe my body is trying to tell me its too soon...all of my docs have said it was ok to go but I just dont know... But youre a great role model for me and it gives me hope that I can get back to it again

Thanks again

Hugs

Linda t

If your docs have given you
    If your docs have given you the green light, and your heart is telling you to run...listen a bit longer to your body~ and take it slow and easy. Walk, race walk, jog, RUN! It's all a progression, and your body and spirit will rejoice! Good Luck! You will do it; I just know it!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Frickin' AWESOME, Kindred Spirit!
    Aw, honey - YEAH! WOO HOO FOR YOU! You know I'll be right beside you, as Kindred Spirit (in more ways than one!).

September 19th is on my calendar. YOU GO, girl! :-)

Kind regards, 12/25
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    You go girl!!
    I will be cheering you on with the Sept 10K LAF benefit!! And I just want you to know that you have sparked an interest with me with getting moving and getting fit. I kinda am enjoying being a couch potato right now (I just have not gotten over my fatigue from day 1) but I don't want to stay this way forever. I'm thinking bike riding may be fun. Cute pink helmet (with ribbon of course), knee pads, elbow pads, cute outfit and most importantly.....pink bike!!! Quess I'll be checking out the kiddy section. Should be easy to find a pink bike and one my size there! Thanks for the boost. :) Pammy
  • chenheart
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

You go girl!!
    I will be cheering you on with the Sept 10K LAF benefit!! And I just want you to know that you have sparked an interest with me with getting moving and getting fit. I kinda am enjoying being a couch potato right now (I just have not gotten over my fatigue from day 1) but I don't want to stay this way forever. I'm thinking bike riding may be fun. Cute pink helmet (with ribbon of course), knee pads, elbow pads, cute outfit and most importantly.....pink bike!!! Quess I'll be checking out the kiddy section. Should be easy to find a pink bike and one my size there! Thanks for the boost. :) Pammy

Thank you, 12/25 for the
    Thank you, 12/25 for the words of encouragment, and Pammy, I take it you did laugh and are not mad at me for commenting on your Day 7 of Rads?? I see you on your bike all Pretty in Pink!

Thanks Ladies~you rock!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

You go girl!!

Pink Bicycle...
    Yep, I got one last year as a birthday/Christmas present (they get mixed up, ya know - can't ever remember anymore!) from my husband!

A good ol' Schwinn - from Target. The bike model name: Roxie. It's mostly pink, with white and lotsa chrome trim. Very retro looking - wider, whitewall tires, comfortable seat, etc. ... I love it! When I ride around the neighborhood, people wave at me, little girls/teenage girls squeal - "I want a pink bike like THAT!"

I love it! :-)

Kind regards, Susan

P.S.: Yes, I had to retire my 10-speed racer bike - another Schwinn - from 1976... Skinny tires, butt-killing skinny seat, and those dreadful "ram horn" handlebars...
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Okay woman... (yeah.. the
    Okay woman... (yeah.. the 50' one...)... you are making me feel like a tub of couch potatoe... what an inspiration you are... must be time to get my bike off the rafters in the garage... I can't run... never have been a runner... but I have always enjoyed biking... alright.. you've talked me into it...... however... not this Sunday, but the following one, I will participate in my first "Race for a Cure"... no... I am not running... I will be in the walking group... lol

Hugs..

~T
  • jojo elizapest
    jojo elizapest Member Posts: 122
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

Thanks Claudia

Thanks again

Hugs

Linda t

she is a good role model for
    she is a good role model for many of us....congrats on the biking...i've been a bit nervous to get started the fatigue comes on so suddenly and then I go down...

But maybe when treatment is done I will have more confidence that my body won't fail me.

jojo