Surgery Yesterday..... "Feeling Great" !!!

Options
angel23
angel23 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone... I was admitted for my surgery yesterday, and I am feeling great today...I understood the surgery to be a "Lumpectomy" and the surgical consent (very important) stated, "Partial Mastectomy, with possible total lymph node dissection". I had talked with my doctor at length about a lumpectomy, (not, partial mastectomy), so, I did not sign the surgical consent. The absolute caution here, is that if your surgical consent does not state the "Exact Procedure" you have consented to your surgeon for, DO NOT SIGN IT!!! If you don't sign the surgical consent your doctor must explain the procedure to you again...When my doctor arrived she explained that my tumor (3cm) was large enough that more then a lumpectomy may have to be performed, and that if my nodes were positive, (more then 5 or so, a complete lymph node dissection (removal) would be provided.... I was then, satisfied....( Profile on line)

The rule of thumb as a patient advocate is, don't sign anything unless you are completely satisfied with the explanation.... the "Lumpectomy" was done per my request, and at my doctor's discretion, only removed 2 lymph nodes. My surgeon stated that she was 85% sure that all cancer was removed.( 15% chance that she might have to do margins again...) I am now waiting for the pathology report. ( 3 days or so..)

My experience was wonderful, and today I feel great, very little pain, and just getting over the "grogginess" of anesthesia... I was worried more about the lymph node injection, and that was a piece of cake.... (less then 2 minutes, no pain at all...)

I am in a holding pattern now, and wanting to get on with the following treatment.... I have off of work until the 24th of August, and I am antsy to get on with this all... I am so thank-ful I have time to be antsy....LOL.....

I am blessed for all of you, and looking at my life in such a different way now....Prayers are working, and I am working on my prayers.....

Peace, Angel23

Comments

• chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    Great
    Good to hear you are feeling so well Angel!! Thank you for the information on surgery. I will be having mine after chemo!!:) Diane
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    That's great! I'm having my
    That's great! I'm having my lumpectomy tomorrow. Hope it goes well like yours. I'm happy for you.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    chickad52 said:

Great
    Good to hear you are feeling so well Angel!! Thank you for the information on surgery. I will be having mine after chemo!!:) Diane

Glad to hear that you are
    Glad to hear that you are doing so great Angel! Take it easy though!

Hugs, Kristin
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    lanie940 said:

That's great! I'm having my lumpectomy tomorrow. Hope it goes well like yours. I'm happy for you.

lanie
    IT WILL! Huge hugs to you JXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • traceyt
    traceyt Member Posts: 77
    Options
    lanie940 said:

You will do fine
    Lanie
    I had my lumpectomy Monday and yesterday I felt great, tired, but great. I still am a bit tired today but I am up showered dressed and moving. I know you will sail through with flying colors :)
    ((hugs)) and prayers to you
    Tracey
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi angel
    Good to hear everything went well for you.

My lymph node injection hurt like h---

You can fill in the blanks.

Be happy

Hugs

Linda T
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Good news Angel!
    So glad to hear all went well for you. Remember to do what I do best...rest, rest, rest!!! Soon you will be up and around. Hoping for clean margins for you! :) Pammy
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    lanie940 said:

Lanie....
    Just wanted to let you know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. Post when you are up to it to let us know how everything went. We will be right here waiting for your return! :) Pammy