Get the kleenex

Options
tgf
tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I got this email this morning and just had to share ....

"Lucky"

Anyone who has pets will really like this. You'll like it even if you don't and you may even decide you need one!

Mary and her husband Jim had a dog named 'Lucky.'

Lucky was a real character. Whenever Mary and Jim had company come for a weekend visit they would warn their friends to not leave their luggage open because Lucky would help himself to whatever struck his fancy. Inevitably, someone would forget and something would come up missing.

Mary or Jim would go to Lucky's toy box in the basement and there the treasure would be, amid all of Lucky's other favorite toys Lucky always stashed his finds in his toy box and he was very particular that his toys stay in the box.

It happened that Mary found out she had breast cancer. Something told her she was going to die of this disease....in fact; she was just sure it was fatal.

She scheduled the double mastectomy, fear riding her shoulders. The night before she was to go to the hospital she cuddled with Lucky. A thought struck her...what would happen to Lucky? Although the three-year-old dog liked Jim, he was Mary's dog through and through. If I die, Lucky will be abandoned, Mary thought. He won't understand that I didn't want to leave him! The thought made her sadder than thinking of her own death.

The double mastectomy was harder on Mary than her doctors had anticipated and Mary was hospitalized for over two weeks. Jim took Lucky for his evening walk faithfully, but the little dog just drooped, whining and miserable.

Finally the day came for Mary to leave the hospital. When she arrived home, Mary was so exhausted she couldn't even make it up the steps to her bedroom. Jim made his wife comfortable on the couch and left her to nap.

Lucky stood watching Mary but he didn't come to her when she called. It made Mary sad but sleep soon overcame her and she dozed.

When Mary woke for a second she couldn't understand what was wrong. She couldn't move her head and her body f felt heavy and hot. But panic soon gave way to laughter when Mary realized the problem. She was covered, literally blanketed, with every treasure Lucky owned! While she had slept, the sorrowing dog had made trip after trip to the basement bringing his beloved mistress all his favorite things in life.
He had covered her with his love.
Mary forgot about dying. Instead she and Lucky began living again, walking further and further together every day. It's been 12 years now and Mary is still cancer-free. Lucky He still steals treasures and stashes them in his toy box but Mary remains his greatest treasure.

Remember......live every day to the fullest. Each minute is a blessing from God. And never forget....the people who make a difference in our lives are not the ones with the most Credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care for us.

If you see someone without a smile today give them one of yours! Live simply. Love seriously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God

hugs.
teena

Comments

• traceyt
    traceyt Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Smile
    Thanks for sharing Teena, GREAT story :)Smiles to everyone
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Wow....
    You didn't warn me I would need the WHOLE box of tissues!! Thanks for the beautiful story. :) Pammy
  • Nufferz
    Nufferz Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Sniffling
    I read this earlier, went through TONS of kleenex!
    What a beautiful story, thanks for that.
    Nuff
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Nufferz said:

Sniffling
    I read this earlier, went through TONS of kleenex!
    What a beautiful story, thanks for that.
    Nuff

That was so beautiful.
    That was so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Stef
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Options
    fauxma said:

That was so beautiful.
    That was so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Stef

I love that story, I have
    I love that story, I have heard it before, and love it even more every time i read it
    tjhay
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    tjhay said:

I love that story, I have
    I love that story, I have heard it before, and love it even more every time i read it
    tjhay

Someone sent me this a

Someone sent me this a couple days after I was released from the hospital when I had my mastectomy and reconstruction. You can imagine what the impact was!

Joyce
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful story.
    That is a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Thanks, teena :-)
    For sharing this with everyone. Like a few others, I had seen it before - yet, love re-reading it every time. Especially as a lifelong insane lover of dogs. Makes me think of my beloved Abigail, my avatar here on this site. She was my steadfastly loyal, devoted and sole 24/7 companion during the absolute worst year of my life - cancer treatment.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    traceyt said:

Smile
    Thanks for sharing Teena, GREAT story :)Smiles to everyone

Thanks Teena! I have read
    Thanks Teena! I have read this before and it still is just as touching! One kleenex, two kleenex...lol

How are you doing with rads? Are you doing ok? Close to being done?

Love, Jeanne
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Well, sniff sniff, at least
    Well, sniff sniff, at least you warned me. A beautiful story, thank you.
    jan
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi Teena
    I have never read that story before and I absolutely loved it and I am still smiling. I love my dog...my 9month old golden retriever Riley but I really miss my golden Toby. I had to put him down in the fall... NO love like the love of a dog...

Thanks for making me smile

Hugs
    Linda t
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    okay...sniff sniff... that
    okay...sniff sniff... that was too wonderful... thanks for sharing Teena.. I had never heard that one before..

Awe...

~T
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    lanie940 said:

That is a wonderful story.
    That is a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Teena for this. I
    Thanks Teena for this!

I have read it before, but, love reading it again!

Thank you for posting it for us!

It is a wonderful story always worth repeating!

Hugs,

Susie
  • faithandprayer
    faithandprayer Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Lucky
    I was in the dark with this story so thanks for sharing - so, so sweet!
    Hugs,
    KC
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Thank you, dearheart!
    I had cats that shepherded me thru...one would lay with his throat on my belly, purring, when I was in alot of pain from the rectal cancer...

The other two stayed right by my side during my breast cancer treatment...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    KathiM said:

Thank you, dearheart!
    I had cats that shepherded me thru...one would lay with his throat on my belly, purring, when I was in alot of pain from the rectal cancer...

The other two stayed right by my side during my breast cancer treatment...

Hugs, Kathi

Love this Teena!
    Love this Teena! Thanks!

Lex
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Alexis F said:

Love this Teena!
    Love this Teena! Thanks!

Lex

Thanks for this Teena! I
    Thanks for this Teena! I have heard it before, but, it was nice to read it again!