Question regarding pain med, anyone here familiar with FENTANYL? or any morphine type drug

Options
marc24
marc24 Member Posts: 92
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello,

Just had a quick question on pain med. My mom saw the onc today and turns out the kras mutation STILL was not tested and was just sent due to some dumb admin b.s. about courier service...basically my mom yelled at my onc and staff for not notifying us that nothing was being done with it since the staff had a misunderstanding that the "patient refused to send the samples to other lab"....but my argument to that was WE ARE JUST ONE PHONE CALL AWAY if they can't send it themselves, so all along 3 weeks went by thinking it got checked.

ANYWAYS, my question is in regards to these patches called FENTANYL??? which is the pain reliever that my onc gave to my mom. Basically these are like patches that u wear for 72 hrs. I did some quick research and it states its actually stronger than morphine??! so i got scared, i figure if any of you guys have experience with FENTANYL? if not this, anyone taking morphine patches?? how are they like? I just want my mom to continue living without pain, she seems ok right now, but i said that last week and next thing u know we were at the ER on friday, so cross fingers.

Comments

• VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Fentynal
    I was on the patches after surgery and did fine. Yes, they are very strong, and the addiction rate is high, but if you are truly in pain, the doctors feel it's not a serious problem. They helped me a lot. They can cause serious constipation, so be sure Mom is drinking enough fluids.

I am sorry you are dealing with problems regarding the testing. Good for your Mom for speaking up...loudly!

Many hugs, Vicki
  • kevinpayne
    kevinpayne Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Morphine patch
    My husband used these patches when he was on chemo and having radiation treatments. These were helpful to him. Make sure that you read the instructions and follow them carefully.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Fentenyl
    I was on the patch for a while, it worked great. I think the first day I got a buzz from it but after that no problems. I stopped it ONLY because I swim a lot now and it's not practical to wear it in the water. Along with drinking a lot of fluids, make sure she moves the patch around and doesn't wear it in the same place all the time. I would rotate between arms.

As far as your first paragraph goes, my rule assume that EVERYONE involved with paperwork, phone calls, scans, etc are idiots and will drop the ball. I constantly confirm things with people. It's worse in the beginning. Very often the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Follow up, follow up, follow up, follow up....... I can't stress it enough.

Hang in there Marc...
    -p
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator