Dreary chemo room - suggestions?

Options
TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After waiting a week for my insurance company's authorization, it is finally GAME ON for chemo! I start next Tuesday, August 4th. None of my friends or co-workers can understand why I'm *excited* to start chemo, but I know you all can understand how good it feels to be moving forward instead of standing still.

I got a tour of the chemo room at my doctor's office yesterday, and was pretty disappointed, thanks to you guys. :-) Some of you have talked about how they give you lunch, you have a tv, private suite, blankies, naked slave boys peeling grapes for you, etc.

I get none of that. While I'm very comfortable with the office, and all the nurses seem to be warm and caring, the room itself is pretty dreary. One big room with five recliners (a little too close together for my liking), no tv, bring your own lunch/snacks. Not a naked slave boy in sight (maybe he was on a break while I was there?)

So, any suggestions for what to bring to make it feel less like I'm in detention? I know about lots of water, food, blankie, etc. Any other ideas?

Traci

Comments

• Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Idea for something to do while there....
    Hi Traci,

Have you ever played one of those hand held games? I have one that came with my Yahtzee dice game. It's the electronic, hand held version and I am addicted to it. I plan to take it with me to chemo. My fiance and I take turns playing and then see who can get the highest score. If he isn't around, I play against myself. I know they have them out there in poker games and I bet your favorite game too. The Yahtzee one is really fun.

I don't have any actual experience with knowing what to bring because I am waiting to start chemo too. I went to the doctor today to find out and they didn't have the pathology report there so he couldn't give me a treatment plan. Although, he says he could tell it was cancer when he cut into it, he wouldn't know what kind until he gets the path report. So I am, once again, waiting. I am glad you got your date and can now move forward with your treatment.

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Hi Traci,

Have you ever played one of those hand held games? I have one that came with my Yahtzee dice game. It's the electronic, hand held version and I am addicted to it. I plan to take it with me to chemo. My fiance and I take turns playing and then see who can get the highest score. If he isn't around, I play against myself. I know they have them out there in poker games and I bet your favorite game too. The Yahtzee one is really fun.

I don't have any actual experience with knowing what to bring because I am waiting to start chemo too. I went to the doctor today to find out and they didn't have the pathology report there so he couldn't give me a treatment plan. Although, he says he could tell it was cancer when he cut into it, he wouldn't know what kind until he gets the path report. So I am, once again, waiting. I am glad you got your date and can now move forward with your treatment.

Love and Light,
    Vicki

Path report
    I can't believe that! I had my biopsy on friday and they had a preliminary path report on monday. I even knew what kind IDC. I found out it was ER receptive on Friday, my surgery is this Thursday.
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options

Hi Traci,

Love and Light,
    Vicki

How about....
    a laptop (or other thech-no device) for music and movies, even if you can't get online.
    A good book if you prefer to read, which I do.
    A friend who loves to chat and knows how to shut up if you need to doze off. (They can also help bring you stuff if the staff is short-handed).
    You may (or may not) strike up an interesting conversation with the survivor next to you, so don't expect the worst. Also, some of your nurses are likely to become good friends as well as care givers during the process. So after the first visit you will feel much less 'out on a limb'.
    God bless.
  • faithandprayer
    faithandprayer Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Room
    iPod with your favorite music (although, keep in mind, some day you might associate the music w/this experience).

Also, one shot in a million, you might want to ask if they have private rooms. My hospital has both. My Mom or Hubby & children come so they always book us private but there are others at the hospital who didn't even know private was an option (no extra charge).

Good Luck,
    KC
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Naked slave
    boys-where were those when I was going through chemo?!
    Wow,it does sound a little lacking there. We had t.v,movies to watch and some books,snacks and water,soda,GREAT recliners(I tried to talk my husband into finding out where they got them from and buying a couple to take home-but no go...haha!).Game boy,I always brought books to read. Wow,you'd think they would make it more comfortable for you guys! My husband and I would donate snacks and water sometimes-maybe you could hint around about them possibly getting a portable fridge. The worst you're going to hear is no.Just thought about it,my husband got me a portable DVD player for my birthday one year-that's been great to have at times like those.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options

Naked slave
    boys-where were those when I was going through chemo?!
    Wow,it does sound a little lacking there. We had t.v,movies to watch and some books,snacks and water,soda,GREAT recliners(I tried to talk my husband into finding out where they got them from and buying a couple to take home-but no go...haha!).Game boy,I always brought books to read. Wow,you'd think they would make it more comfortable for you guys! My husband and I would donate snacks and water sometimes-maybe you could hint around about them possibly getting a portable fridge. The worst you're going to hear is no.Just thought about it,my husband got me a portable DVD player for my birthday one year-that's been great to have at times like those.

Traci!
    You misunderstood......You have to take along your OWN NAKED SLAVE BOYS!

LOLOL

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Just want to wish you good
    Just want to wish you good luck with your chemo!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Naked slave boys....
    Just advertise in the paper "meet lots of women, must be willing to get naked" and I'll bet they'll come running! Haha!! I'm so glad you have your game on now. That's a great feeling, isn't it? :) Pammy