personal question

Options
qwe
qwe Member Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have a belly that hangs and under neath I am getting a rash does any one know
what I can use for it.Now I have another question if you have an colostomy do you
wear the bag in or out of tour under wear I know this is a personal question but I
have been wearing mine on the out side so my under wear are bunched up near the bottom
of my abdomen maybe that is causing the rash cause it get wet from sweat what do you think?

PS I feel so dumb right now.Doris

Comments

• PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    rash
    Hi Doris. Don't feel dumb, dealing with a colostomy is a real challange. I wore mine on the outside of my underwear too. Those plastic bags made me sweat too. I wonder if you could make a terry cover for it with thin towel, or like a crown royal bag? The stuff for diaper rash will help with the rash, I have used it, and under the breasts if your large and sweat there too. I know they do make covers for the colostomy bags if you look up supplies, and some that are supposed to cover them for intimate times, but I bet you could make something. I found if I tried to tuck mine in my underwear,, then had problems with it binding up and filling at the top, not going to the bottom properly. I know they make bikini type and hipster underwear in queen size, and try to find cotton ones, or if you can get used to not wearing any that might help. Hope you find a good solution, you'll probably get more ideas from others too.
    Pam
  • janei1
    janei1 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    rash
    I get the rash and i statred using talc after showers and i do not get them anymore, trt it but you have yo do it regualary
    janei1
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Same problem
    Hi Doris! This is a great question, and i'm glad you asked it because like you, i have a the overhang. During Summer the rashes would get really bad. Let me tell you about the most wonderful product...Gold Bond Medicated Powder! It is a lifesaver! It will clear up your rash within a day. Just use it when you need to, or everyday. The generic works just as well.

I wore my underwear underneath my bag. It was just too uncomfortable on top of it. One hip on, one hip off.

Good luck with it!
    Hugs,
    Krista
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    rash
    Corn starch might work also for the rash. I bought bikini style underwear that just came up to the bottom of my appliance. I think it was a hipster style. I always wore my bag on the outside. Some might wear their bag tucked in, whatever works best.
  • qwe
    Options
    tiny one said:

rash
    Corn starch might work also for the rash. I bought bikini style underwear that just came up to the bottom of my appliance. I think it was a hipster style. I always wore my bag on the outside. Some might wear their bag tucked in, whatever works best.

Thank you so much.I will try
    Thank you so much.I will try the Gold Bond power,and I do wear
    bikini underwear but my colostomy is low and my barrier goes a little
    under the fold in my skin.I am wearing the bag with out the filter
    so air stays in it I might get bigger underwear and try wearing it
    on the inside if it is I may have room for the bag.I will check back
    later see what you think. Doris
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    qwe said:

Thank you so much.I will try
    Thank you so much.I will try the Gold Bond power,and I do wear
    bikini underwear but my colostomy is low and my barrier goes a little
    under the fold in my skin.I am wearing the bag with out the filter
    so air stays in it I might get bigger underwear and try wearing it
    on the inside if it is I may have room for the bag.I will check back
    later see what you think. Doris

Doris
    Mine was horrible it was from not getting air in that area, mine just spread upward. went to the dr he gave me some cream it made it worse then he gave me another cream that helped a little I put a cloth in that area to absorb the moisture and that helped but it took about a month to go away and it bleed alittle to but no rash this year. good luck. ps the powder made me burn

michelle
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    A & D Ointment plus cornstarch
    Wow. I always felt like I was the only person in the universe to get the "unsightly" rashes (also itchy & sometimes painful!) Anyway, I found that a light coating of A&D ointment (for babies) plus a good coating of cornstarch helped me. I haven't had a bad episode in a while, but I still put baby powder under my breasts & belly at least twice a day.

Good luck,
    Kirsten
  • pluckey
    pluckey Member Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    personal question
    Doris- don't feel dumb at all!!!

I do 2 different things with my Ostemy bag- I either wear 2 pairs of undies- the 1st pair being lower cut. I have the bag outside of the 1st pair and then the 2nd pair is a bit higher to belly button. That way the bag isn't against my skin.

I have also purchased undies that have a little panel or ouch to stick the bag in. they aren't cheap, but I bought a couple pair for when I'm dressed up.

ostemysecrets.com
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Underwear
    Hi Doris: I always wear the pouch inside my underwear. Always wore bikinis before until I got the ostomy now I wear the ones that come up to my waist. I just feel it stays in place better if its in the underwear vs shifting around inside my pants.

Don't have the rash issue so can't help with that.

Kim
  • qwe
    Options

Underwear
    Hi Doris: I always wear the pouch inside my underwear. Always wore bikinis before until I got the ostomy now I wear the ones that come up to my waist. I just feel it stays in place better if its in the underwear vs shifting around inside my pants.

Don't have the rash issue so can't help with that.

Kim

Thanks Kim and every
    Thanks Kim and every one.Guess what I think I may have solved my problem.
    I got a free sample of a small convex light barrier and boy it feels
    better and does not go under the fold,but i just got my order for the bigger
    ones so I will have to use them till the last of next month.Doris
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    Options
    Cornstarch powder or the
    Cornstarch powder or the medicated kind works great for under the belly rash, helps absorb the moisture. also I wear my pouch in my underwear, it feels more supported, you can get pouches that are material covered, so the plastic is not on your skin, they are great. CHeck out the hollister site and get a free sample, they are called new image.