Another newbie

Options
Nufferz
Nufferz Member Posts: 55
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yep, I'm another newbie, just joining today.. although I've been lurking around for about a week to 10 days. I guess that makes me a stalker of sorts ;)
I feel as though I've come to know a few of you and I know I will be very comfortable talking with you.
I was diagnosed in late April, had a lumpectomy in May and I will be starting rads on the 30th of this month. I think it was kind of weird that they would start me on a Thursday, then not start again on a Mon. - Fri. schedule. I have already been started on Tamoxifen as of the 6th of this month. I gotta say, so far it's been quite a journey. A very overwhelming one so far and I've been on an emotional roller coaster. Some days I just cannot keep from crying and other days I'm fine. It just seems to me that it was much easier in the beginning than it is now. I just don't understand it, some days are just hard to bear. I know I should consider myself very lucky that I haven't had to go through chemo, and I DO. I thank God every day for that.
I've also been a smoker for many years, but I quit in April. Cold turkey. It's gonna take a heck of a lot more than breast cancer to make me give in to that nasty habit again. I'm not saying the temptation hasn't been there, but I want to beat this thing too. So far, so good.

Comments

• padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    Welcome Nufferz
    I am sorry for the reason you are here and I know you will be welcomed by all the Daft Sods here - its an incredible journey that we have all been on. I had a lumpectomy and rads, but the rads were after 6 rounds of chemo. I had the Oncotype DX test done and it showed that the tumor had a 34% chance of coming back, so they decided to go after it aggressively. I'm 2 months out of treatment and my hair is coming back, so I am beginning to feel human again. They started me on rads on a Thursday also, which surprised me but what can ya do??? I think we have all been oveerwhelmed by this, but I have found a lot of the help I need comes from these ladies on this site. They are incredible survivors! Welcome to the group!
    Pat
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Welcome
    (((((hugs))))) and welcome to you~ as we so often say, This is the Best club you never wanted to join! As you have no doubt seen by "stalking" for a bit, we are a supportive, fun, informative, kick-**** group of warrior-survivors, and some fabulous caregivers, too!
    Congrats on quitting smoking as well~ that is quite an achievement!
    Keep posting, we are now walking you path with you and will help you to the other side of cancer treatment! You can do it; fear, emotions and all of it included! It is truly worth it to find that Life Afer Cancer sooner than you think is possible at this point in time!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Welcome Nufferz....
    Congratulations on quitting smoking. It is hard, but soooooo worth it!! Glad you decided to announce your presence!! We will do all we can to walk through your journey with you. So come by anytime and for any reason. :) Pammy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Welcome Nufferz....
    Congratulations on quitting smoking. It is hard, but soooooo worth it!! Glad you decided to announce your presence!! We will do all we can to walk through your journey with you. So come by anytime and for any reason. :) Pammy

Don't beat yourself up
    Welcome, Nufferz -

I just wanted to add, please don't beat yourself up for not always being able to focus on the ways in which you are lucky.

I know that I'm lucky in a lot of ways, too -- very small, early tumors, no lymph node involvement, loved ones who've stood by me, and excellent medical care.

But sometimes I can't help saying to myself -- LUCKY??? I have CANCER, for God's sake!! It's completely okay to feel sad and overwhelmed and like you're on a roller coaster sometimes. We've all been there.

Traci
  • maya00i
    maya00i Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Welcome. You've come to the
    Welcome. You've come to the right place. I have learned so much here.Everyone is so supportive.We are here for you. Congrats on stopping smoking.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Welcome....
    Welcome Nufferz. I'm very glad that you have joined us!

I'm delighted that you have been able to quit smoking! Good for you!! I wish that I could say the same for me...

Hugs,

CR
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    maya00i said:

Welcome. You've come to the right place. I have learned so much here.Everyone is so supportive.We are here for you. Congrats on stopping smoking.

Glad your here
    Keep posting, we will be here each step of the way.
    Hugs. Jackie
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Welcome....
    Welcome Nufferz. I'm very glad that you have joined us!

I'm delighted that you have been able to quit smoking! Good for you!! I wish that I could say the same for me...

Hugs,

CR

CR
    I wish I could say the same also. I have cut down to about 2 packs a week though, Maybe someday soon. I just feel so much anxiety still...it is very hard.
    hugs, jackie
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    maya00i said:

A big welcome
    You came to the right place. Everyone on this board is so wonderful at advice and putting my mind at ease most of the time. They also give me smiles from time to time, which is also important to the process of healing. I know how the emotional roller coster feeling is. I was diagnosed in april as well. I had a double mastectomy and still dont know what treatments i will be getting. They sent my tumor for that oncotype dx test and i go to the onc finally tomorrow. It is so hard and frustrating to wait on all this stuff. Your life just feels like its on a big hold until i get the answers i need. Believe me, i will be going in the onc appt full force with tons of questions and i better get the answers i need too. Hope you are doing ok. My prayers are with you and welcome again.

laura
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Options
    rjjj said:

CR
    I wish I could say the same also. I have cut down to about 2 packs a week though, Maybe someday soon. I just feel so much anxiety still...it is very hard.
    hugs, jackie

welcome
    I'm an ex smoker... I quit cold turkey when my 1st grandchild was born nearly 14 years ago... I didn't want any reason whatsoever to put him down and didn't want him to smell smoke on me... It's weird but once in a while i get an urge but laugh it off...

Glad you joined.. I know it makes really happy getting to know my new friends on here..

Calleen
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Nufferz
    welcome to the group though sorry that you have to be here.
    Yes,congratulations on quitting cold-turkey-I think that's really something to be able to do that!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options

Nufferz
    Yes,congratulations on quitting cold-turkey-I think that's really something to be able to do that!

Nufferz
    I'd like to congratulate you in quitting too! Hey if you can do that, you can do this......easy! Welcome to the assylum.

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxx
  • Crystlesmom
    Crystlesmom Member Posts: 20
    Options

Nufferz

Hi there.....and welcome!!
    Hi there.....and welcome!! Way to go with the smoking....that's quite a feat in itself.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Welcome to the site. Its
    Welcome to the site. Its good you are here because you will find a lot of support here. I know what you mean when you say it seems to get more difficult as time goes by. I can only share my own perspective but this journey does tend to be like a roller coaster. I am more than 3yrs out from diagnosis and am still dealing with the shadow of my breast cancer over my shoulder. In fact I just recently decided to begin seeing a therapist. It is more an individual way that each person deals with and internalizes the experience. I would say to you, talk about your feelings with someone you are close to and don't keep things/fears inside. I personally have an excellent prognosis but I have the type of personality that I perseverate about things and no matter what anyone says, I still fear a recurrence. I also have developed a pretty intense fear of death since having cancer. I know I will eventually work through all this, because I am developing a plan to do so.

It all boils down to seeking help from others when you need it, and that includes loved ones, friends, your doctors and a therapist if thats whar it takes. I wish you good luck and hope you will keep us posted. The fact that your cancer does not require chemo is a very good thing. It is a very good sign. Take care, Eil.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Nufferz
    I think many read for a while, and then actively join. Glad you found us, glad to have you. You've already made much progress along your journey. We use the term "emotional roller coaster" quite often here on the board! We truly understand.

Visit often, whenever you'd like or need to.

Best wishes.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Welcome, Nufferz
    I think many read for a while, and then actively join. Glad you found us, glad to have you. You've already made much progress along your journey. We use the term "emotional roller coaster" quite often here on the board! We truly understand.

Visit often, whenever you'd like or need to.

Best wishes.

Just want to welcome you
    Just want to welcome you Nufferz!

Hugs, Diane
  • faithandprayer
    faithandprayer Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Welcome
    Nuff,
    Just wanted to extend the invitation on this post, too! You can join us in our quit smoking quest in the DIRTY SECRET thread.

Again, welcome to you, it's good to have you here!
    KC