Can Side Effects Appear Anytime???

Options
idlehunters
idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hey All,

I have just been thru 3 chemo treatments and thank God I have not had any side effects... none. My last chemo session was 12 days ago. Yesterday I started developing this horrible headache. The only way it will stop is with pain meds. I take Folfiri. (5FU,irinotecan, avastin) I always thought if side effects were gonna happen they would happen within that first week after chemo. I just find it odd that it started NOW. I am not a headache person... never get them.... until now. If its a side effect I will deal with it. I just need to make sure it ain't something else. Thank you

Jennie

Comments

• tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    side effects
    I had very mild side effects when I had treatment. I didn't start getting the numbness in the hands and feet until later. I would call your oncologist and tell them about your headache, especially if it's not letting up. They may want to check you over and the dosage of the chemo drugs may need to be adjusted. I received oxiplatin and did very well with it when others can't tolerate it.
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    Side Effects
    Side effects can be cumlative; increase or show-up with each new treatment. I was on FLOFOX and I would get a new side effect with each treatment, but I made sure I notified by care team of each new side effect to determine if it was considered normal or not.

I would keep a note pad and write down each one so I would not forget.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Side effects
    It would always be a gradual thing for me, I never had one side effect show up without notice. We're all different. I'd check with Onc to be safe. You've seen the laundry list of side effects they always say on TV for drugs. The cure sounds worse than the disease.
    -p
  • sdfloyd987
    sdfloyd987 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    side effects
    My side effects were immediate. My second day on 5FU i had chest pains. Call your onc.
    Better safe than sorry.
  • pokismom
    pokismom Member Posts: 153
    Options
    Side Effects
    Hi,
    I would get a new side effect every week, I'd be telling my doc,
    and he'd say "Oh that could be a side effect". My chemo nurse
    would tell the study people when they would ask me if I had
    any side effects, " give her a long piece of paper".
    Pokismom