Casual comment that can "make your day"

sgamtd
sgamtd Member Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was visiting with a group of women, mostly seniors like me, and a friend in the group asked me if I am into treatment yet. Nope not yet, but will have surgery Wednesday.
A new woman to our group spoke up and said: "I had breast cancer 30 years ago." It was said so casual-like, and I think I was the only one congratulating her and getting all exited, but Y'all cannot imagine how that comment made my day. My feet seems to be not touching the floor anymore. Later on I got to talk to her some more, got her phone number so I can call her. You just never know where support can come from. I feel blessed having found this place, but also for casual encounters, and I am not even looking for thirty more years, that would make me too close to 100. lol

Comments

• Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    LOL, thanks for this posting
    LOL, thanks for this posting sgamtd! A lil bit of sunshine came your way unexpectedly!
  • faithandprayer
    faithandprayer Member Posts: 177
    Thanks
    Thanks for passing it along. Those 30 year ago women pioneered the way for us today. I can't imagine what it must have been like then. Primitive. Just imagine, not even a computer to find a site like this.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Casual encounters
    It certainly is amazing and I am so glad you found each other. About 6 years ago I was on a business trip flying back to California from South Carolina sitting next to me was another woman. She was traveling with her family but just happened to get the seat next to me. She resides in Ohio but was on her way to California to visit an Aunt who was sick with breast cancer. Needless to say I told her my story and our friendship was cemented! We write letters to each other once a month and shoot e-mails like mad. We give each other quirky things for our birthdays and we always know that even though we are miles apart we are truly friends forever. So happy to hear about your new special friend!

Hugs,

RE
  • faithandprayer
    RE said:

Casual encounters
    It certainly is amazing and I am so glad you found each other. About 6 years ago I was on a business trip flying back to California from South Carolina sitting next to me was another woman. She was traveling with her family but just happened to get the seat next to me. She resides in Ohio but was on her way to California to visit an Aunt who was sick with breast cancer. Needless to say I told her my story and our friendship was cemented! We write letters to each other once a month and shoot e-mails like mad. We give each other quirky things for our birthdays and we always know that even though we are miles apart we are truly friends forever. So happy to hear about your new special friend!

Hugs,

RE

Inspiration
    RE,
    You are another one of those women who trudged through long before many of us...blazing the trail for us...paving the way for us...holding a candle for us...and inspiring each of us... Thank you.

Warmest Hugs,
    KC
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member

Inspiration
    RE,
    You are another one of those women who trudged through long before many of us...blazing the trail for us...paving the way for us...holding a candle for us...and inspiring each of us... Thank you.

Warmest Hugs,
    KC

Jackie wrote a very
    Jackie wrote a very inspiring post on here about a stranger that sat down and talked to her on one of her lowest days during rads. I will see if I can find it and bump it up. Please read it, it so inspiring!

Hugs,

Kristin
  • faithandprayer
    Kristin N said:

Jackie wrote a very
    Jackie wrote a very inspiring post on here about a stranger that sat down and talked to her on one of her lowest days during rads. I will see if I can find it and bump it up. Please read it, it so inspiring!

Hugs,

Kristin

Thanks!
    Thanks, Kristin! Would love it!!!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    There it is KC. Angels in
    There it is KC. Angels in Disguise by rjjj! It is awesome!
  • faithandprayer
    Kristin N said:

There it is KC. Angels in
    There it is KC. Angels in Disguise by rjjj! It is awesome!

Thanks Again
    Thank you, again, Krisin! I'm popping into it now...
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    RE said:

Casual encounters

Hugs,

RE

That is so nice RE. We find
    That is so nice RE. We find angels all over so unexpectedly!
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    My granmother
    My granmother had bc, a masectomy, and no chemo, or radiation as they didn't do it back then. She was cancer free for 20 years. She did get a second cancer unrelated to bc but that was when she was 80. So I figure I come from strong stock.