Swine Flu

Options
ittapp
ittapp Member Posts: 383 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello, I live in Ga. and they are reporting the worst Swine Flu season yet.(I am sure this is reported everywhere). Saying it will come early in the school year. I have two kids 10 and 13 and I am so nervous about staying well and keeping my family well. If we can't have a live vaccine (nobody in my family)how do we combat this? My Onc. said I can't even be around people that have had any live vaccines. Were you all told this while undergoing chemo? My husband says that I am becoming withdrawn,don't get me wrong he is a wonderful, and supportive husband.He just says that I still have to live and do things but I am so cautious of going out around germs. Both of my kids are in sports, football, and cheer, I am so scared to even go to practices and games during the Fall season. I am just a wreck emotionally and need some advice, I know most of you would have an opinion on this so, I come to you for advice. I guess I need a nerve pill or something. I worry all the time about big and small things.I have become obsessive over washing hands, and asking everyone else to wash their hands as well.I am a Christian and I do have faith in the Lord,I do try and stay positive but the worry creeps in.I just can't seem to stop the worry and move on to enjoying things! God Bless you all,Patti

Comments

• Sigma34
    Sigma34 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    Essential Oils
    I use a pure oil called Valor, it is great for keeping germs away.

Christine
  • lmliess
    lmliess Member Posts: 329
    Options
    Sigma34 said:

Essential Oils
    I use a pure oil called Valor, it is great for keeping germs away.

Christine

I am in the same boat.
    My daughter starts kindergarden in 3 weeks and my husband had to take her to get her shots because my WBC count is so low I am not supposed to be around dr offices. Also, she couldn't get her chicken pox shot or MMR because it is a live virus vaccine. Because of that we have to stay away from my neighbors because their little boy starts school too and he just got his shots. ALSO, it was recommended I stay away from my daughters school for about 4 weeks after it starts because of all the kids getting their vaccination!! ugh! Her first day of school I will not miss however. I will ride to the school with her and my husband and walk her to the door and he will take her the rest of the way. She is our one and only (because of this cancer our shot at having #2 was removed - overies).

Anyway I am really trying to eat healthy, walk, and wash hands alot. (Even though I just polished off my husbands BDay cake this morning!) I also read that rebounding on a tranboline moves toxins thorugh your body and increases your immune system by 5 times, so I am doing that too. I am also mentally willing my immune system to be strong! Sounds weird but I feel if you believe it will happen.

Hang in there - we are all in your shoes right now going through chemo. I just decided only work and home for me for the next 8 weeks or until my WBC go up. Oh and the Cancer Center to get my lovely chemo.

Hang in there -
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Germs
    Patti,

My bloodwork has been a hot mess for weeks and my small town had a documented swine flu case last month. I'm not too worried about living my life at a normal pace and going where I want to. I go to the canzer center all the time. There are sick people there at the hospital! I'm much more careful there than anywhere else. The grocery store and church are clean. I wash my hands and disinfect the shopping cart handle with wipes. The hospital is filled with germs and sick people. It's all perspective I guess.

canzer has taken enough from me and I won't let it have anymore. I will go where I want, when I want....it can't stop me!

Kimby
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Late Sunday Mornin' Patti
    I

I was told that I needed to wear a mask and everything, so I would not catch germs - stay away from children, stay away from people etc.etc.

The only problem with that was I had to go to work where "people" are with their germs and whatnot. Let me tell you a Men's Public Restroom is no picnic at work or in public.

I had to shop for groceries too and run errands so I had to interact with people all the time.
    Touching kepypads and carts - filling up with gas and touching the handles etc.etc. I would just wash my hands when I got home.

What I did was wear no mask - the swine flu is telling us that wearing a mask is akin to wearing nothing at all, so forget about that, it's just not effective and is a knee jerk reaction.

I washed my hands where I could as soon as I could and other than that, I was like Kimby - I just did what I had to do and did not let the public concern me - it was of no consequence to me...I had to function in society and handle my business. When people coughed I would hold my breath in as I passed them or tried to get out of the way.

I would not overly concern myself with this right now - just take safe precautions and go about living your life - don't let Cancer make you a prisoner of your own life. I was out in big crowds at the mall and did not worry - I felt like I was among the living again, so think about it in those terms. When you go about living your life - You are the one who wins, not the Cancer and the Fear! Life is too short for those to get in the way too long.

I'm starting to wake up now, I feel the words starting to churn out...

You said your husband sees you withdrawing - it's perfectly natuaral to have a down day or even a few of them, but don't let yourself string more than a few at a time...things are still new to you right now...and you are going through things that were unimaginable just a few short months ago.

And I'll tell you how normal you are...I've been at this for awhile, but the last two months have been sort of hard for me, waiting for all of my new mess to get sorted out. I was feeling withdrawn after work - I'm alone at night, no friends around, and no family near, so it's up to me how my evenings go...but I was feeling badly at the thought of the ongoing battle, and why after all of this time, could I not get rid of this stuff.....AND THEN...

I found this beautiful board and all of the wonderful people like you that I've met, that
    have brightened my life and given me a purpose for getting up every morning. You guys have given me extra strength to fight my battle and now I have a family that I can talk to and tell things to, and learn about other people and what they are going through too.

I don't have to go through this alone anymore - the last 5 years with just Me, Myself, and I, have been very hard and at times, and it's been a very lonely road at different points.
    I was a broken man, because I had no one outside my wife who really cared or would be interested. The Board has changed all of that and it has given me an outlet, that I'm trying to use for good.

We joined about the same time - you are early in your battle, and I'm late in mine, but you know I like you and care about you - and being your friend is very important to me and I just love talking with you. Whenever I hear you hurting, I will always try to help you, the Good Lord Willin' and the Creeks Don't Rise.

Because you know, we are...

Kindred Spirits
    -Craig
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

I

I was told that I needed to wear a mask and everything, so I would not catch germs - stay away from children, stay away from people etc.etc.

The only problem with that was I had to go to work where "people" are with their germs and whatnot. Let me tell you a Men's Public Restroom is no picnic at work or in public.

I had to shop for groceries too and run errands so I had to interact with people all the time.
    Touching kepypads and carts - filling up with gas and touching the handles etc.etc. I would just wash my hands when I got home.

What I did was wear no mask - the swine flu is telling us that wearing a mask is akin to wearing nothing at all, so forget about that, it's just not effective and is a knee jerk reaction.

I washed my hands where I could as soon as I could and other than that, I was like Kimby - I just did what I had to do and did not let the public concern me - it was of no consequence to me...I had to function in society and handle my business. When people coughed I would hold my breath in as I passed them or tried to get out of the way.

I would not overly concern myself with this right now - just take safe precautions and go about living your life - don't let Cancer make you a prisoner of your own life. I was out in big crowds at the mall and did not worry - I felt like I was among the living again, so think about it in those terms. When you go about living your life - You are the one who wins, not the Cancer and the Fear! Life is too short for those to get in the way too long.

I'm starting to wake up now, I feel the words starting to churn out...

You said your husband sees you withdrawing - it's perfectly natuaral to have a down day or even a few of them, but don't let yourself string more than a few at a time...things are still new to you right now...and you are going through things that were unimaginable just a few short months ago.

And I'll tell you how normal you are...I've been at this for awhile, but the last two months have been sort of hard for me, waiting for all of my new mess to get sorted out. I was feeling withdrawn after work - I'm alone at night, no friends around, and no family near, so it's up to me how my evenings go...but I was feeling badly at the thought of the ongoing battle, and why after all of this time, could I not get rid of this stuff.....AND THEN...

I found this beautiful board and all of the wonderful people like you that I've met, that
    have brightened my life and given me a purpose for getting up every morning. You guys have given me extra strength to fight my battle and now I have a family that I can talk to and tell things to, and learn about other people and what they are going through too.

I don't have to go through this alone anymore - the last 5 years with just Me, Myself, and I, have been very hard and at times, and it's been a very lonely road at different points.
    I was a broken man, because I had no one outside my wife who really cared or would be interested. The Board has changed all of that and it has given me an outlet, that I'm trying to use for good.

We joined about the same time - you are early in your battle, and I'm late in mine, but you know I like you and care about you - and being your friend is very important to me and I just love talking with you. Whenever I hear you hurting, I will always try to help you, the Good Lord Willin' and the Creeks Don't Rise.

Because you know, we are...

Kindred Spirits
    -Craig

Craig
    Wonderful post.

Eric
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    eric38 said:

Craig
    Wonderful post.

Eric

Germs
    I am a school bus driver for high school,middle school and elementary kids..I was told to wear a mask also..I didn't do that cause I didn't want to scare the kids..lol lol I did like everyone else here I lived my life...I did wash my hands alot and used hand sanatizer alot..But I continued on..I also refuse to let cancer run my whole life..It has taken over enough of it!!!!! I am now NED for 3 months so I would say to you get out and enjoy life when you feel up to it..Staying in the house and not doing and going places will do NOTHING for your mental health..........Julie
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    I agree
    with Hubby. There were times my white blood counts were low 1.7, so I would wear a mask to work and have NO physical contact with anyone. I did not get sick the whole time going through chemo.

Wash hands, dont' have contact outside of your immediate family, don't get me wrong, go out and do what you would normally do, but don't have physical contact. Wear light gloves if necessary. Don't let cancer live YOUR LIFE. YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE and cancer is just part of it right now.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    swine flu vaccine
    I know the whole swine flu vaccine and situation is new, so the Drs. really don't know what's going to happen. I will plan on talking to my Dr. about it at my appt tomorrow.
    I was told I HAD to get a flu shot the past couple of seasons since my diagnosis. I think maybe the difference is the "regular" flu shot is not made from live viruses? I really don't know.
    I was not that cautious, honestly, about being in public places. I tried to use hand sanitizer and hand wipes on shopping carts, etc., but I definitely didn't do it everytime. I was very fortunate in that I stayed really healthy (aside from the cancer- ironic, isn't it?!)
    I should probably be more careful in the future, though. Just remember not to let cancer rule your life!

Blessings to you,
    Lisa
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

swine flu vaccine
    I know the whole swine flu vaccine and situation is new, so the Drs. really don't know what's going to happen. I will plan on talking to my Dr. about it at my appt tomorrow.
    I was told I HAD to get a flu shot the past couple of seasons since my diagnosis. I think maybe the difference is the "regular" flu shot is not made from live viruses? I really don't know.
    I was not that cautious, honestly, about being in public places. I tried to use hand sanitizer and hand wipes on shopping carts, etc., but I definitely didn't do it everytime. I was very fortunate in that I stayed really healthy (aside from the cancer- ironic, isn't it?!)
    I should probably be more careful in the future, though. Just remember not to let cancer rule your life!

Blessings to you,
    Lisa

Georgia, too
    I live in Georgia too and have not gone to church for several months because of the huge number of people in our large church who've had strep, stomach viruses, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc.

I go to the grocery store and Wal-Mart. I can keep my distance quite easily there. There's not much else in our little town. I've walked the mall in the big town about 16 miles from here but we usually go early morning when it's not crowded.

Hubby coaches a number of sports and I would take a chair and sit along the fence instead of in the stands. The teachers and most parents knew the situation and would stop to visit but not get into my face or hug me. (We're big huggers in Georgia) Also, hubby would avoid kids at school who were noticeably ill.

I home school Nick who is now entering 9th grade. We've been part of the local home school group for over 10 years now. I choose functions to attend that are in open areas or smaller groups. The president of our groups Mother had CC 30 years ago. The VP's 27 year old brother just finished his chemo for cc. Our group asks parents not to attend functions if their child/ children are showing signs of illnesses. Some of the group are anti vaccines.

My WBC's were down to .5 after my 2nd or 3rd tx and I had to skip a week. They've been fine ever since my dosage was reduced. I was given masks to wear during that time but just stayed in the house instead.

I get a flu shot every year because of hubby's asthma but have no idea what'll happen with the Swine Flu.
  • DK2006
    DK2006 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    lmliess said:

I am in the same boat.
    My daughter starts kindergarden in 3 weeks and my husband had to take her to get her shots because my WBC count is so low I am not supposed to be around dr offices. Also, she couldn't get her chicken pox shot or MMR because it is a live virus vaccine. Because of that we have to stay away from my neighbors because their little boy starts school too and he just got his shots. ALSO, it was recommended I stay away from my daughters school for about 4 weeks after it starts because of all the kids getting their vaccination!! ugh! Her first day of school I will not miss however. I will ride to the school with her and my husband and walk her to the door and he will take her the rest of the way. She is our one and only (because of this cancer our shot at having #2 was removed - overies).

Anyway I am really trying to eat healthy, walk, and wash hands alot. (Even though I just polished off my husbands BDay cake this morning!) I also read that rebounding on a tranboline moves toxins thorugh your body and increases your immune system by 5 times, so I am doing that too. I am also mentally willing my immune system to be strong! Sounds weird but I feel if you believe it will happen.

Hang in there - we are all in your shoes right now going through chemo. I just decided only work and home for me for the next 8 weeks or until my WBC go up. Oh and the Cancer Center to get my lovely chemo.

Hang in there -

germs
    I was on FOLFOX (stage 3 cc) during my son's kindergarten year. I started the Neupogen injections after treatment #3 and I continued to volunteer weekly in the classroom, never missing a week. I was careful to wash my hands after leaving the classroom.

My son starts 4th grade in 2 weeks!

I hope you both have a great school year!

Best wishes,

Donna