New Symptoms -

Options
lizzydavis
lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
I was dc from round 3 (folfox) yesterday and have been feeling the worst yet. Many times when I get up from sitting, my eyes are open but I cannot see. It goes away quickly but for a time my view is mostly black. My calves ache, I have nausea, no energy and feel miserable. I have not felt this bad with rounds 1&2. I have been trying to get fluids down and eating light. Any suggestions? This is a miserable feeling. Thanks.

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Doctor
    You should call your doctor right away. I have not heard of this symptom, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I know when I have chemo my vision gets very blurry and I can't seem to focus and at one point only part of my eye was blurry not the whole eye. Just call the doctor and/or nurse to make sure it is nothing serious. Let us know.

Kim
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    Options
    eyes open but can't see
    are you on the verge of fainting? Try sitting up slower, taking in more fluids. I would call your doctor about symptoms-
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    Chemo Regime
    DX Stage II in 2006 and was on FLOFOX (5FU, Lecovorin & Oxy) every other week for 6 months (12 treatments). Depending on the person and their DNA, side effects will be cumlative. Some people experience different side effects as you get further into your treatments. I did not experience bad side effects until around #4. Then I spoke with my ONC Dr and we all agreed to reduce my drugs by 20%.

EYES: I always had eye problems as a baby. Had a muscle issue and surgery as an infant. Wore glasses, patches, etc., all my life, but when I finished my chemo treatments, I noticed a big change in my vision. I could no longer read labels on cans with or w/out glasses. Saw a new eye dr (mine retired) and he said it was due to age (42 yrs old / 2006). I disagreed and blamed the chemo.

Most important element, make sure you discuss ALL side effects, no matter how small, with your ONC Dr, because we are all different (DNA) and what affects one may not affect another.
  • luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi Lizzy!
    I did not have the

Hi Lizzy!

I did not have the vision problems with chemo, but definitely with each cycle, my other symptoms got worse. The nausea and vomitting...the fatigue...just miserable. My onc told me that each round is like a boxing match. Round 1, you're okay and with each round, you get knocked around just a little more than that last! And he was so right! Each cycle was more and more difficult for me and the side effects last a little longer than the last. But eventually you get through it! For me, my blood counts were going down with each cycle, to the point where I had to have 2 blood transfusions.

I agree with the others, make sure you tell your doctor each and every symptom. I had to write them down to remember (chemo brain!) because by the time I would go back for the next cycle (2 weeks) the symptoms would be gone. Anyway, take care and get plenty of rest!

-Sheri
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Options
    low blood pressure
    That blackness when you first stand up does sound like low blood pressure. Patteee, as well as others, made some good suggestions.
    --Greg
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Options
    PGLGreg said:

low blood pressure
    That blackness when you first stand up does sound like low blood pressure. Patteee, as well as others, made some good suggestions.
    --Greg

I agree about low BP
    I agree with Greg about the vision blackness and with Kim about calling your doc right away. Getting fluids on board is very important for low BP.

Leslie
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    lesvanb said:

I agree about low BP
    I agree with Greg about the vision blackness and with Kim about calling your doc right away. Getting fluids on board is very important for low BP.

Leslie

my eyes burned
    like they were on fire.i could not watch tv or they would start watering.the best thing i did was put some eyedrops in them,my nurse suggested that and then i would go to sleep.she also suggested putting a cold compress on my eyes and that helped a lot Godbless.....johnnybegood
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Options

my eyes burned
    like they were on fire.i could not watch tv or they would start watering.the best thing i did was put some eyedrops in them,my nurse suggested that and then i would go to sleep.she also suggested putting a cold compress on my eyes and that helped a lot Godbless.....johnnybegood

Thank you!
    Thanks everyone for writing. It is so comforting to know I can talk to you all about these things. This round almost kicked me to the curb but I am back and feeling much better! Well, I took ativan and went to sleep - off and on for 2+ days. It helped a lot to drink liquids, sleep, and take the ativan. I am writing everything down for the onc. Thanks for your support! It means so much! My best to all of you. Hang in there!

lizzydavis