Post-Surgery Radiation and Avastin for Stage III

Options
Oceansaway
Oceansaway Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone had post-surgery radiation therapy to treat rectal cancer? If so, did you experience a lot of side effects? My Dad did not have any pre-surgery treatment. Now his primary doctors are debating whether to give him post-surgery radiation?

Has any Stage III taken Avastin? I understand that it is more for Stage IVs. Thanks much!

Comments

• NWGirl
    NWGirl Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Post Surgery Radiation
    I had post surgery radiation. I had lots of tests done before my surgery - all showed no lymph node involvement - so we went straight to surgery,thinking I was a stage 2. Unfortunately, I had extensive lymph node involvement - so my radiation was done post surgery. I had 4 rounds of FOLFOX, then 30 radiation treatments (while on the 5FU pump 24/7), then 6 more rounds of FOLFOX and the last 2 rounds Xeloda only.

I won't kid you - radiation is no picnic. Women have our own unique problems with it - you'd probably get better input on what your father will experience from the men who have had radiation post surgery.

I was never offered or recommended Avastin.

I was told that with radiation, the chances of a local reccurrence would be drastically reduced. Despite how rough radiation was, I figured if it helps increase my chances of survival - it's worth it. I have no regrets.
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    radiation
    I had pre surgery radiation,with xeloda for 6 weeks for colorectal cancer,and the side effects were severe stomach cramps,with naseua,and I lost 25 pounds.I also had alot of fatige. I was stage III,if that helps.
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Avastin
    ASCO came out in May with trial results for Avastin with stage III crc. It showed no improvement for stage III, which I found surprising. It seems sooner would be better, but not so. Avastin is currently only recommended for stage IV. Go figure.

Kimby
  • Oceansaway
    Oceansaway Member Posts: 25
    Options
    kimby said:

Avastin
    ASCO came out in May with trial results for Avastin with stage III crc. It showed no improvement for stage III, which I found surprising. It seems sooner would be better, but not so. Avastin is currently only recommended for stage IV. Go figure.

Kimby

Thanks.
    Thank you all for the info. Knowledge is power.
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Options
    kimby said:

Avastin

Kimby

Avastin
    I am stage 4 and my medical oncologist did not recommend Avastin for me for the adjuvant chemo (FOLFOX) since I was NED after my surgeries. I had a stage 3 rectal tumor and one liver met at diagnosis; no lymph node involvement.

Leslie
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator