Options
2»

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    lmmo said:

Thanks for more good wishes.

I am most afraid that I do not have enough tissue to re-create breasts since so much was cut away when my flaps died.

Do they do skin grafts with tummy skin when the use the abdominal tissue?

Apparently, the doc in DC teaches this kind of reconstruction and there will be 2 surgeons working at one time.

I know I should not care about this as much as health, but I do not feel like a woman and am reminded every time I take my bandages off. I want to be desirable to my husband when I am well since we are still young ang both teens will be off to college in 2010.

Hi Lisa just want to welcome
    Hi Lisa just want to welcome you. All I can say is we are here for you day and night. There is always someone here to vent to, laugh with, cry, whatever the mood. Hang in there
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    lmmo said:

Thanks for more good wishes.

I am most afraid that I do not have enough tissue to re-create breasts since so much was cut away when my flaps died.

Do they do skin grafts with tummy skin when the use the abdominal tissue?

Apparently, the doc in DC teaches this kind of reconstruction and there will be 2 surgeons working at one time.

I know I should not care about this as much as health, but I do not feel like a woman and am reminded every time I take my bandages off. I want to be desirable to my husband when I am well since we are still young ang both teens will be off to college in 2010.

With the DIEP surgery, they

With the DIEP surgery, they take the tissue and skin and that becomes the new breast. I don't think that they really need much skin or tissue from the breast area: the skin and tissue from the abdomin are attached to the skin and tissue that are left of the breast. My former breast is now a relatively small part of the reconstructed breast: it really forms an outline/base for the former abdominal tissue. But, it sounds like you should try to get an appointment as soon as possible to discuss options with the doctor in DC. He will be able to tell you if he expects the procedure to work and the steps that they will take during the surgery.

I don't blame you for worrying about this now. Even if you weren't young and wanting to be desirable to your husband, the reconstruction gives a certain freedom that you don't have with a prosthesis. And, it's not as much of a constant reminder that you've had cancer.

Joyce
  • lmmo
    lmmo Member Posts: 56
    Options
    jk1952 said:

With the DIEP surgery, they

With the DIEP surgery, they take the tissue and skin and that becomes the new breast. I don't think that they really need much skin or tissue from the breast area: the skin and tissue from the abdomin are attached to the skin and tissue that are left of the breast. My former breast is now a relatively small part of the reconstructed breast: it really forms an outline/base for the former abdominal tissue. But, it sounds like you should try to get an appointment as soon as possible to discuss options with the doctor in DC. He will be able to tell you if he expects the procedure to work and the steps that they will take during the surgery.

I don't blame you for worrying about this now. Even if you weren't young and wanting to be desirable to your husband, the reconstruction gives a certain freedom that you don't have with a prosthesis. And, it's not as much of a constant reminder that you've had cancer.

Joyce

DIEP
    Well, I will be having a consult, still have a drain in, but for now, everything is on hold until I start and finish chemo.
    I am supposed to also have the ovaries out or total hysterectomy w/in 4-6 months as well. Waiting to hear if insurance approves Lupron to bide time and shut off ovaries.
    Thanks for the info...did you need a wound vac for the skin grafts?
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Options
    lmmo said:

DIEP
    Well, I will be having a consult, still have a drain in, but for now, everything is on hold until I start and finish chemo.
    I am supposed to also have the ovaries out or total hysterectomy w/in 4-6 months as well. Waiting to hear if insurance approves Lupron to bide time and shut off ovaries.

Lisa
    This Journey we are on is so hard and emotional.. no one understands exactly what our minds are going through except us... I sometimes feel completey shut off from everyone... When people say they understand really they don't.. how could they ?? They are not living my nightmare... I cry all the time not just yesterday.. I am right now for you... you have so much more than me going on... I wish I could give you a big hug!!! I know it would help me too!! Hugs are the best... no words just big heartfelt hugs!!!
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    lmmo said:

DIEP

I had some drains, and I had

I had some drains, and I had to wear an abdominal binder, but other than that, everything healed on its own. You may want to try to have a consultation ASAP, so you can either look forward to the surgery and learn as much as you can, or determine that it won't work for you. I hope things start looking up for you soon!

Joyce
  • netty45
    netty45 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    hi i had diep flap
    where did you have this done?
  • netty45
    netty45 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    hi
    i ask because i have alot of necrosis and its still in my breast.
  • lmmo
    lmmo Member Posts: 56
    Options
    diep
    Have not had one, but will. Maybe post a new topic request.