Venting too--RE: RSVP

tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I sent out 16 invites to Jake's party and only 1/2 RSVP'd.
Don't people know what RSVP means.

I sent out an email to 8 parents this morning asking them if they were coming--I needed to know one way or the other.

I always RSVP the day I get the invite so I don't forget--I don't understand why others can't do the same thing.

Sorry to vent.

Margo

Comments

  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Margo.....
    I agree, it's very rude and inconsiderate of people not to RSVP! And when you DO contact people to ask again, they have usually been "too busy...sorry forgot".

    I hope they get back to you...

    Hugs, CR
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Some people just don't RSVP
    They just don't get it. Maybe you are a little touchy because of last year's experience? xxoxoxo Lynn
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Simply rude
    People DO know what RSVP means.

    Hoping they'll reply to your email.

    Kind regards, Susan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    That is rude Margo for them
    That is rude Margo for them to not RSVP to you. People just don't have manners anymore.

    Hope you hear from all of them soon!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    DianeBC said:

    That is rude Margo for them
    That is rude Margo for them to not RSVP to you. People just don't have manners anymore.

    Hope you hear from all of them soon!

    I agree with Susan. People
    I agree with Susan. People know what it means. Just rudeness! You just vent away Margo.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Go ahead and vent....
    They have made your task harder by being rude. What is ruder is not RSVP'ing and just showing up!! How can you possibly plan? Humph!! :) Pammy
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I also don't know why RSVP's are not answered~ they seem to have fallen by the way-side for some reason I cannot understand. I know I'm older than dirt ( I was, in case you didn't know, the Hostess at the Last Supper) but do MANNERS have to be part of my past, and not part of my NOW?

    I have had this same problem for years now at Thanksgiving. I have resorted to asking those who I send invitations to to "Please let me know by November 10, so I know what size turkey to buy"~ because just saying RSVP has not been working at all! I hate resorting to what I think is ridiculous, but so it is! I mean, really~ what if I invited 20 people, got 8 responses, "assumed" only 8 were arriving and then~ whoops! 20 plus a few stragglers show up??

    Maybe you will have to resort to this as well: "Please let me know by such-and-such a date so I know how many party favors/prizes to have on hand" or some such thing. Sheesh!

    Your vent is one of my pet peeves as well, obviously~ and here I thought fighting the beast and being a survivor made me above such petty stuff. Guess not, huh? LOL LOL

    Hugs,
    and please RSVP to this whenever you have time~ no food or prizes at at stake! :-)

    Claudia
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    chenheart said:

    I also don't know why RSVP's are not answered~ they seem to have fallen by the way-side for some reason I cannot understand. I know I'm older than dirt ( I was, in case you didn't know, the Hostess at the Last Supper) but do MANNERS have to be part of my past, and not part of my NOW?

    I have had this same problem for years now at Thanksgiving. I have resorted to asking those who I send invitations to to "Please let me know by November 10, so I know what size turkey to buy"~ because just saying RSVP has not been working at all! I hate resorting to what I think is ridiculous, but so it is! I mean, really~ what if I invited 20 people, got 8 responses, "assumed" only 8 were arriving and then~ whoops! 20 plus a few stragglers show up??

    Maybe you will have to resort to this as well: "Please let me know by such-and-such a date so I know how many party favors/prizes to have on hand" or some such thing. Sheesh!

    Your vent is one of my pet peeves as well, obviously~ and here I thought fighting the beast and being a survivor made me above such petty stuff. Guess not, huh? LOL LOL

    Hugs,
    and please RSVP to this whenever you have time~ no food or prizes at at stake! :-)

    Claudia

    This year vs. last year
    This year was a whole different crew of children being invited than last year.

    I did put a date to RSVP by 7/19.

    I did buy extra stuff for gift bags just in case.

    Someone had the nerve to ask me if I was serving lunch to her child. The invite said 1-3 cake and ice cream--don't know where she got the idea of lunch.

    The email worked so far--I've gotten 4 responses so far today.

    Margo
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member

    This year vs. last year
    This year was a whole different crew of children being invited than last year.

    I did put a date to RSVP by 7/19.

    I did buy extra stuff for gift bags just in case.

    Someone had the nerve to ask me if I was serving lunch to her child. The invite said 1-3 cake and ice cream--don't know where she got the idea of lunch.

    The email worked so far--I've gotten 4 responses so far today.

    Margo

    It really is plain rude
    Having Kids themselves they should know how it is to paln? GEEEEZZZ. a call is all it takes to tell someone you're going to be there.

    I have three kids (25,17,6) and unfortunatly have also had a few birthday parties flopps as well, It so upsetting being a mom, when the party flopps. I learned a few lessons along the way, like call the same day you send the invitation out, and then call about 3-5 days before the party, just in case. Another one is invite 12, count on at least 6-7 for sure, and then plan for 8-10 just in case.

    It's tough for sure, really hope you're party turns out for Jake.

    Aurora

    p.s. Do you mind me asking what happened last year?
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769

    It really is plain rude
    Having Kids themselves they should know how it is to paln? GEEEEZZZ. a call is all it takes to tell someone you're going to be there.

    I have three kids (25,17,6) and unfortunatly have also had a few birthday parties flopps as well, It so upsetting being a mom, when the party flopps. I learned a few lessons along the way, like call the same day you send the invitation out, and then call about 3-5 days before the party, just in case. Another one is invite 12, count on at least 6-7 for sure, and then plan for 8-10 just in case.

    It's tough for sure, really hope you're party turns out for Jake.

    Aurora

    p.s. Do you mind me asking what happened last year?

    Last Year
    Aurora,
    Last year I invited the whole day care and several kids at the preschool that he went to--probably 20 in all. I had about most of them call and say they were coming around 12-15 and only 1 showed up.

    Jake had fun--thank god the little girl had a swim suit with her--so the two of them had a great time but Jake was disappointed after I had told him who was coming. I had one mother call like 2-3 hours after the party and said they had forgotten about it and wanted to come over then--I told her no since I had already had plans--which I didn't but I would never call a parent and ask to come over after the party was over.

    Those extra gift bags came in handy when Jake went to other birthday parties. We would buy something less expensive and then also put the stuff from the gift bags in with the present.

    Margo
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member

    Last Year
    Aurora,
    Last year I invited the whole day care and several kids at the preschool that he went to--probably 20 in all. I had about most of them call and say they were coming around 12-15 and only 1 showed up.

    Jake had fun--thank god the little girl had a swim suit with her--so the two of them had a great time but Jake was disappointed after I had told him who was coming. I had one mother call like 2-3 hours after the party and said they had forgotten about it and wanted to come over then--I told her no since I had already had plans--which I didn't but I would never call a parent and ask to come over after the party was over.

    Those extra gift bags came in handy when Jake went to other birthday parties. We would buy something less expensive and then also put the stuff from the gift bags in with the present.

    Margo

    Awwww
    Im sorry to hear about last years party. I sure hope all goes well this year. I think you wrote that is was a different group of kids this year, So maybe that will make a difference. It's tough when you want it to be the "best day every" (spongebob) for your kids.

    I'll be keepin g my fingers crossed for Jake this year, with all that been happenig, he deserves a great party!!!!!

    Aurora
  • kiley40
    kiley40 Member Posts: 17
    Yes they do know what RSVP
    Yes they do know what RSVP means, parent just choose not too. It is rude and when no one shows it is crude for the kids. Makes ya just want to cry for the kids. We send out many and we may have 2-5 kids. We have started to just have 2-3 and make sure they come to the party by talking directly to the parents.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    chenheart said:

    I also don't know why RSVP's are not answered~ they seem to have fallen by the way-side for some reason I cannot understand. I know I'm older than dirt ( I was, in case you didn't know, the Hostess at the Last Supper) but do MANNERS have to be part of my past, and not part of my NOW?

    I have had this same problem for years now at Thanksgiving. I have resorted to asking those who I send invitations to to "Please let me know by November 10, so I know what size turkey to buy"~ because just saying RSVP has not been working at all! I hate resorting to what I think is ridiculous, but so it is! I mean, really~ what if I invited 20 people, got 8 responses, "assumed" only 8 were arriving and then~ whoops! 20 plus a few stragglers show up??

    Maybe you will have to resort to this as well: "Please let me know by such-and-such a date so I know how many party favors/prizes to have on hand" or some such thing. Sheesh!

    Your vent is one of my pet peeves as well, obviously~ and here I thought fighting the beast and being a survivor made me above such petty stuff. Guess not, huh? LOL LOL

    Hugs,
    and please RSVP to this whenever you have time~ no food or prizes at at stake! :-)

    Claudia

    Claudia , Your answer was a much better version of my post
    Claudia, That was what I was meaning, but you put it much more clearly. Thanks. Lynn
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    kiley40 said:

    Yes they do know what RSVP
    Yes they do know what RSVP means, parent just choose not too. It is rude and when no one shows it is crude for the kids. Makes ya just want to cry for the kids. We send out many and we may have 2-5 kids. We have started to just have 2-3 and make sure they come to the party by talking directly to the parents.

    Peasants!
    Margo, They are very rude. Put a big sign on the front door stating "NO RIF-RAF!"

    Maybe they can't read? Happy Birthday Jake! Hope your party goes well!

    Ere....where's my invitation? Lost in the post I guess LOL!

    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    tasha_111 said:

    Peasants!
    Margo, They are very rude. Put a big sign on the front door stating "NO RIF-RAF!"

    Maybe they can't read? Happy Birthday Jake! Hope your party goes well!

    Ere....where's my invitation? Lost in the post I guess LOL!

    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    I hope that Jake has a great
    I hope that Jake has a great birthday party Margo! He is so cute. Maybe, take a birthday pic of him and show it to us?

    Hope it doesn't wear you out. I guess my invite got lost in the mail :( lol

    Have fun, Susie
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    susie09 said:

    I hope that Jake has a great
    I hope that Jake has a great birthday party Margo! He is so cute. Maybe, take a birthday pic of him and show it to us?

    Hope it doesn't wear you out. I guess my invite got lost in the mail :( lol

    Have fun, Susie

    invite
    You are all invited of course--all kids party--and we are all kids at heart no matter how old we get. Only 8 are coming--not bad.

    Raining here today and suppose to get showers late tomorrow afternoon so hopefully the showers don't start until after the party.

    We are just having cupcakes and ice cream. Gifts are not required to come. I will post an updated picture of Jake if I can figure out how to download it to my computer and then load it to here. I know Joe has given us a course but I just don't get it.

    Margo
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

    invite
    You are all invited of course--all kids party--and we are all kids at heart no matter how old we get. Only 8 are coming--not bad.

    Raining here today and suppose to get showers late tomorrow afternoon so hopefully the showers don't start until after the party.

    We are just having cupcakes and ice cream. Gifts are not required to come. I will post an updated picture of Jake if I can figure out how to download it to my computer and then load it to here. I know Joe has given us a course but I just don't get it.

    Margo

    Eight is a manageable
    Eight is a manageable number. Happy 6th to Jake. And hope his party is dry, fun and just the best. Hope you can figure out how to post some pictures for us.
    Stef
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member

    invite
    You are all invited of course--all kids party--and we are all kids at heart no matter how old we get. Only 8 are coming--not bad.

    Raining here today and suppose to get showers late tomorrow afternoon so hopefully the showers don't start until after the party.

    We are just having cupcakes and ice cream. Gifts are not required to come. I will post an updated picture of Jake if I can figure out how to download it to my computer and then load it to here. I know Joe has given us a course but I just don't get it.

    Margo

    Since I'm invited...
    Here's my R.S.V.P.: regrets. Thanks for the invite - can't afford the plane ticket! Will be with you, and Jake, in spirit!

    Hope it's a fun day tomorrow - with NO RAIN! Sheesh. We had it here yesterday...

    Kind regards, Susan
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

    Since I'm invited...
    Here's my R.S.V.P.: regrets. Thanks for the invite - can't afford the plane ticket! Will be with you, and Jake, in spirit!

    Hope it's a fun day tomorrow - with NO RAIN! Sheesh. We had it here yesterday...

    Kind regards, Susan

    Hope the party is a huge
    Hope the party is a huge success Margo!