She wants a wig! Any suggestions for a Florida resident

rodripa9
rodripa9 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey guys! It's me again. So I've been speaking to some of you about my sister, her decision to go ahead with chemo, she's getting a port put in this week and starting chemo next. She wants to be proactive and get fitted for a wig and get herself something nice (for her). Does anyone know of a website or place in Florida she can go to? She some synthetic ones over the weekend and was discouraged. She wants one that will look like her now hairdo. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Comments

• ninjamom
    ninjamom Member Posts: 142
    Have you tried the TLC store
    Have you tried the TLC store thru ACS?
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Hi rodripa! Go to the site
    Hi rodripa! Go to the site heavenlyhats.com They will send you a whole box of goodies. Also, the American Cancer Society will help you out too!

Good luck!

Noel
  • Lelana
    Lelana Member Posts: 32
    Wigs !
    Try looking at;
    www.paulayoung.com
    I got my wig from there.
    I never wore it, but they have a wide selection.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    The following site has lots of wig information - hope it helps!
    If you click on the following, it will take you to a website that has a lot of free wigs for bc patients.

Free Wigs
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    ACS AND WIGS
    The American Cancer Society usually has a small selection of wigs that are free to cancer patients. They also gave me a gift certificate for $70.00 to use towards the purchase of a wig or other head coverings at their site http://www.tlcdirect.org/default.aspx . You can also visit www.heavenlyhats.com where you can complete a short request for a hat package and you will receive free of charge a nice selection of brand new hats at no cost to you. Hope this helps.

RE
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    RE said:

ACS AND WIGS
    The American Cancer Society usually has a small selection of wigs that are free to cancer patients. They also gave me a gift certificate for $70.00 to use towards the purchase of a wig or other head coverings at their site http://www.tlcdirect.org/default.aspx . You can also visit www.heavenlyhats.com where you can complete a short request for a hat package and you will receive free of charge a nice selection of brand new hats at no cost to you. Hope this helps.

RE

Lots of good information
    Lots of good information here. I was going to say the ACS or the heavenly hats too. Let us know if any of these help you. Or, if you find something else. I am sure several could use this information.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Not specifically in Florida...
    ... Lots of good suggestions here for sources. I actually bought the wig I never, ever wore (not even once) at a theatrical costume supply store. (Very large selection of both styles & colors, relatively inexpensive). I was also told, way after the fact, that some well-known department store websites offer wigs (not carried in their stores); but, I didn't personally check. Don't know which ones...

Bear in mind that natural hair wigs require much extra effort to maintain; and, don't keep their good looks for very long - in addition to being very much more expensive than synthetics. Also, since your sister is attempting to match her current hairstyle (which is exactly what I did), she can choose a wig that's close/very similar - then have it trimmed by her regular hair stylist (which is also what I did - had the "bangs" and sides shortened, mostly).
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Hi Rodripa! I think
    Hi Rodripa! I think everyone here has given you all of the suggestions that I would. So, I am sure you will find something for your sister. You might also call some of the beauty salons and explain to them that your sister has bc and will have chemo and could use a wig. You might be surprised, someone might donate one!

Good luck!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    One other suggestion....
    If you want, check around your area as well. Wouldn't she be surprised if her sister found a nice one for her and shipped it (hint, hint). I know I am incredibly greatful for my sister that has gotten bracelets in honor of me to pass out and also will wear one until my treatments are over at which time she will send to me. She lives several states away, but is always sending something in the mail to keep my spirits up and to send me treasures she thinks I need. I love the surprises!! :) Pammy
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Hi rodripa9
    Hi I live in florida, and am just starting to grow my hair back i am in tampa bay area, where about are you guys
    tjhat
  • rodripa9
    rodripa9 Member Posts: 28
    tjhay said:

Hi rodripa9
    Hi I live in florida, and am just starting to grow my hair back i am in tampa bay area, where about are you guys
    tjhat

Thanks Guys
    My sister lives in Titusville, Fl. She's about an hour and 30 min. from Tampa. She actually had her lumpectomy at the Moffitt Center over in Tampa. I really appreciate all of the suggestions and am going to look into them. There is actually a respected costume shop near my home that has an entire store of wigs. Maybe I can pick up something for her and take it myself to a beautician here in Chicago with a picture of my sister to get it customized :) She gets her port in today, please keep her in your positive thoughts. Thank you
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    rodripa9 said:

Thanks Guys
    My sister lives in Titusville, Fl. She's about an hour and 30 min. from Tampa. She actually had her lumpectomy at the Moffitt Center over in Tampa. I really appreciate all of the suggestions and am going to look into them. There is actually a respected costume shop near my home that has an entire store of wigs. Maybe I can pick up something for her and take it myself to a beautician here in Chicago with a picture of my sister to get it customized :) She gets her port in today, please keep her in your positive thoughts. Thank you

I am sure that you will find
    I am sure that you will find lots of help with wigs for your sister.

Good luck to her today in getting her port in!

Keeping her in my prayers,

Diane
  • Chrispea
    Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
    I got a really nice wig, it
    I got a really nice wig, it has a monofiliment top, so it looks like your scalp with a part. It's hand tied.

I've gotten so many compliments on my wig, they'll tell me they love my highlights. I just laugh!

I got that wig at a wig salon.

Then I decided to get a second wig, and I bought it at wigs.com. They have great customer service. I ordered a wig, didn't like it, sent it back, ordered another, didn't like it sent it back, then finally got the one I want, and they were all very nice about it. There was a restocking fee, but I knew that. Now I have the one I like, but not the color, so I'm sending it back again. It's only $5 to switch to another color.

Try them if you can't find a good wig place locally.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I am in the Jacksonville, FL
    I am in the Jacksonville, FL area and we have a local store here called In The Pink. It is specifically geared towards breast cancer. I went there to get fitted for a wig, they come in several different sizes, and ordered 2 through the vendor the shop uses. Once they came in, I went back and tried them on and decided I really didn't want a wig. If I were you, I'd be careful about just purchasing one for your sister due to the different sizes. Maybe there is a store in her area similar to In The Pink. Good luck!!
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Finding a wig
    Check with the ACS.Some Cancer hospitals have hair boutique,s.I got mine their it was very nice.Good Luck. I am in Ohio. Pat.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    ppurdin said:

Finding a wig
    Check with the ACS.Some Cancer hospitals have hair boutique,s.I got mine their it was very nice.Good Luck. I am in Ohio. Pat.

I'm in Sebastian/Vero Beach area
    and got 2 awesome wigs from the local ACS office. They must have had 100 to chose from and they all looked new. Check for the branch in Titusville and see if they have them, too.
    Wigs are sooo expensive and you have no idea if they are comfortable or not unless you try them on yourself, so I was leery of ordering online.