Options
2»

Comments

• maryannrogers
    maryannrogers Member Posts: 115
    Options
    jnl said:

How are you doing Maryann?
    How are you doing Maryann? Haven't seen you post for awhile.

jnl
    Thank you for inquiring. Yes, have been a bad girl and haven't been posting much at all. I started back two weeks ago so that seems to be taking all my time and energy for the time being.

I've been on the Arimidex for a few weeks (2 or 3)and haven't been having any significant side effects. Maybe it's just to early yet but keeping my fingers crossed. Sometimes my fingers feel a bit stiff, but oncologist said it might happen but will dissipate. Playing my piano helps me.

I am one of the very fortunate people who does not need chemo. My Onoctype DX came out at 8.

Again, thank you for asking and hope you're doing well. Keep me posted.

Love,
    Maryann
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Arimidex and Side Effects
    Grandmato3 - Hugs & hello!
    I "WAS" on arimidex for just a very short period of time and I too, was flooded with most of its side effects, including crippling bone pain and the depression came on in Full Force, I had nothing to be depressed about, I made it through everything just fine!
    I tried to stay on it but, I just couldnt.
    My onco took me off for 2 weeks to see if there would be any relief... there wasnt even though I had stopped taking the Arimidex... so when I went back after 2 weeks, I knew I was not going to go back on it ....sadly to say... reason being ... as I told my onco... if I had to endure another battle while being on Arimidex... I would not survive... plain and simple.. I know my strengths and this medication had basically left me without any.. mentally, emotionally, & physically. Yet I know some on here that had no problems whatsoever with the drug....So I asked my Onco what my options were and he gave me these 3 choices.... take Tamoxifin... which when I asked what the sideveffects were.. he told me I wasnt going to like his answer.. "Blood Clots" ... well I had already had a bout with 2 of them when I had my "PORT" put in.. so I withdrew that choice, and then there was a "cousin" of Arimidex.. Aromasin... with basically the same side effects... and Choice #3 was to take nothing... and well.. unfortunately thats what I did...I am not on any after treatment drug at this point anyways....but I do feel 1000% better .. there are some studies being done on Avastin..its an osteoprosis medication.. that may benefit as hormone therapy.. not sure ..what the side effects are on it.. but, something to ask your onco abot maybe... I plan on discussing it with mine in a few weeks.
    Take care..
    Always,
    Trish

I'm wondering about EVISTA.
    I'm wondering about EVISTA. It is supposed to help with bone loss and breast cancer. Only thing is, I take Aciphex because of what the Fosamax did to my esophagus. So, I'm in a quandry. I am already taking and have been taking Benicar for my BP and Wellbutrin for my anxiety, have taken thoes for years. I understand that proton pump inhibitors also can cause bone loss. I have osteopena, not yet osteoprosis. So, what does one do?
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options

Make your oncologist listen
    Make your oncologist listen to you, and, if he won't, get an appointment with a counselor or a psychiatrist. Depression can be very serious. Don't let your doctor dismiss you.

Let us know how you do.

hormonals and depression -- Zometa
    I certainly don't know what the right answer is regarding hormonals, side effects, possible benefits versus quality of life. These are such quandries. But I wanted to bring up Zometa. It's an osteoporosis and bone mets drug that it now being used off-lable to help prevent mets for early stage breast cancer patients. It may offer an added layer of protection. It is still in clinical trials, but the results have been so good that many doctors use it as standard practice (like my oncologist). Not everyone agrees, but it seems to really help prevent not only bone mets, but all kinds of mets in cancer patients (it's used for other cancers as well). Anyway, it's a twice a year infusion and the only side effects are flu like symptoms for the first infusion. I want to emphasize that this is not a substitute for AIs or Tamoxifen. You can take them both. But it is something more, for those of you looking....

Mimi
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    mimivac said:

I certainly don't know what the right answer is regarding hormonals, side effects, possible benefits versus quality of life. These are such quandries. But I wanted to bring up Zometa. It's an osteoporosis and bone mets drug that it now being used off-lable to help prevent mets for early stage breast cancer patients. It may offer an added layer of protection. It is still in clinical trials, but the results have been so good that many doctors use it as standard practice (like my oncologist). Not everyone agrees, but it seems to really help prevent not only bone mets, but all kinds of mets in cancer patients (it's used for other cancers as well). Anyway, it's a twice a year infusion and the only side effects are flu like symptoms for the first infusion. I want to emphasize that this is not a substitute for AIs or Tamoxifen. You can take them both. But it is something more, for those of you looking....

Mimi

Thanks for this info Mimi!
    Thanks for this info Mimi! You are so knowledgeable!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Thanks, ladies! I'm supposed
    Thanks, ladies! I'm supposed to see my oncologist next month, but may call him sooner. The depression seems to get progressively worse. Most of the other side effects I might be able to live with, but they're no fun either.

Let us know what your
    Let us know what your oncologist says or prescribes for you Grandma. And, let us know how you are doing too.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • DianeBC
    Options
    JoMama54 said:

Arimidex
    Grandma, first let me say welcome! Your comment fit me to a tee. It has been almost a year now since my mastectomy. I first started on Femara but could not deal with the side effects of aching feet legs arms and hands. So my onc put me on Arimidex March of this year. I have the fatigue and depression and the hot flashes are tremendous. I have been taking Celexa but my Dr. has changed me to Prestig I will be starting it soon. I hope it works. The depression scares me the worst. I am sorry you are going through all of this, it does disrupt your life. Hang in there.................its all we can do!
    Hugs, JoMama

Just want to welcome you
    Just want to welcome you Grandma to the site. So sorry for what you are going thru. I have not been on Arimidex, so, I can't offer help on that.

I would suggest to talk to your oncologist about all of this very firmly. I sometimes think they just don't get how the se's are almost unbearable for us.

Good luck to you!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • DianeBC
    Options
    susie09 said:

Thanks for this info Mimi!
    Thanks for this info Mimi! You are so knowledgeable!

How are you doing Ohilly?
    How are you doing Ohilly? Haven't heard from you in awhile.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    mimivac said:

Mimi

Is Zometa an Alternatrive to Boniva?
    Mimi, I currently take Boniva once a month for osteopenia following chemo and because I am taking Arimidex. Do you know if Zometa an alternatrive to Boniva? xoxoxo (ps. am finally reading Anti-Cancer - life altering read!) xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    DianeBC said:

How are you doing Ohilly?
    How are you doing Ohilly? Haven't heard from you in awhile.

doing great
    I'm doing great! Thanks for asking. I have finally adjusted to my hair being thinned out from Femara, although I still look wistfully at other women with their thick hair like I used to have. I had to get on Lexapro to deal with a depression which I believe was caused or at least made worse by the Femara (I think it was chemical: it was bizarre, I would just wake up and cry every morning for no reason), but the medication really helped me a lot to the point that I now feel back to my old self. The only thing left for me to do is to get the tattooing done for my reconstruction. It's a long story, but the tattooing got cancelled five times...I now have appointments with both a tattoo artist and someone at a plastic surgeon's office to do the tattooing, and will go with whoever can do it first.

How are you, DianeBC? Thanks for asking about me.

Ohilly
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    ohilly said:

doing great
    I'm doing great! Thanks for asking. I have finally adjusted to my hair being thinned out from Femara, although I still look wistfully at other women with their thick hair like I used to have. I had to get on Lexapro to deal with a depression which I believe was caused or at least made worse by the Femara (I think it was chemical: it was bizarre, I would just wake up and cry every morning for no reason), but the medication really helped me a lot to the point that I now feel back to my old self. The only thing left for me to do is to get the tattooing done for my reconstruction. It's a long story, but the tattooing got cancelled five times...I now have appointments with both a tattoo artist and someone at a plastic surgeon's office to do the tattooing, and will go with whoever can do it first.

Ohilly

Hey Ohilly. It is good to
    Hey Ohilly. It is good to see you posting. Glad the Lexapro is helping. Good luck with your tattoos! Post more, we miss you.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Mimi

Mimi, is this something that
    Mimi, is this something that every bc survivor should look into or not? Ask their oncologist if it would be good for them? Thanks
  • DianeBC
    Options
    ohilly said:

doing great

Ohilly

Hi Ohilly
    I am doing great Ohilly! Really good! I am so happy to read that you are back to your old self again. Antidepressants can help so many people sometimes. I am glad that you finally broke down and got on one. And, I remember everything about the tattooing problem. I hope one of them can do it for you soon. Seems ridiculous that you would have to wait this long for it. But, good luck to you. Let us know how you are doing.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • geocachelinda
    geocachelinda Member Posts: 3
    Options
    depression
    I have been diagnosed as having severe depression for many years and now that I have started arimidex it has gotten a lot worse. I am on Lexapro but it doesn't help. All I want to do is sleep. I have no enthusiasm for anything and I agree with grandmato3.. this is not living.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    My vote is with Ohilly's.
    My vote is with Ohilly's. Try the antidepressant before giving up. I know I am just incredibly lucky to be a longterm survivor (25+ years), but I also believe that my medical background helped me understand how importance compliance is and my nursing training gave me the "I can fix this attitude--even if I have to break out the duct tape."

What I am trying to say is that, if you have an adverse effect from a cancer medication, speak to your physician and first try and manage the adverse effect before giving up. Compliance is so important. And I am not saying this lightly, because I know personally the havoc that these drugs can cause. Been there, done that. Still doing it as I am now on Faslodex and Xgeva.

Also, depression and anxiety hits many, many cancer fighters. I am on lexapro and it truly helps me. I have had no adverse effects from the lexapro that I am aware of--I only take 5 mg and it's just enough to help me keep fighting and not let the gloomies get me.

Hope this helps! Let us know how you do.

And here's a link about depression and cancer:

Depression and Cancer

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/depression/Patient/page2