Mirilax

Options
TDodds68
TDodds68 Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I know a lot of you said you use mirilax I could only find it in a powder form to put in a drink. My question is for those that have used it is what drink do you suggest and does it have a bad taste? I have had problems with senocot and the others I have used.

Comments

• jane65
    jane65 Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Hi,
    Miralax only comes in the powdered form it has absolutely no taste. I've mixed the recommended amount into a cup of water, cranberry juice or any juice mixed with water.

It is not a laxative, my doctor said it is a stool softener and is safe to take every day.

In addition to Miralax, I take 2 colace tablets and prune juice. That combo works for me.

Good luck,
    Jane
  • BrittanyC
    BrittanyC Member Posts: 100
    Options
    I have taken it for a
    I have taken it for a hemroid a few years ago... Ouch.

But Miralax is wonderful.
    I mixed it with my apple juice in the morning and it didn't taste very different.
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    In my coffee
    I use miralax in my coffee everyday..no taste so whatever you use it in is fine. The key is to drink lots of water during the day as it brings the fluids to your bowels. If you don't stay hydrated it can not work. I also take senna-s use to take it just b4 and after chemo but now take it every night at bedtime. Hope this works for you. Hugs Bonnie
  • jane65
    jane65 Member Posts: 277
    Options
    BonnieR said:

In my coffee
    I use miralax in my coffee everyday..no taste so whatever you use it in is fine. The key is to drink lots of water during the day as it brings the fluids to your bowels. If you don't stay hydrated it can not work. I also take senna-s use to take it just b4 and after chemo but now take it every night at bedtime. Hope this works for you. Hugs Bonnie

BonnieR
    Hi Bonnie,
    In coffee, is that hot or iced coffee?

Now that's one I haven't thought of, I'm always learning something new on this forum!

Have a pleasant day,
    Jane
  • JanQ
    JanQ Member Posts: 236
    Options
    same here
    I put it in whatever I am drinking coffee, juice ect...
    Constipation is one thing we don't need! Good Luck!
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    JanQ said:

same here
    I put it in whatever I am drinking coffee, juice ect...
    Constipation is one thing we don't need! Good Luck!

try
    Maybe this is what Jean and I need to do. Thanks all for the tip.

Libby ☺
  • lnyeholt
    lnyeholt Member Posts: 59
    Options
    LPack said:

try
    Maybe this is what Jean and I need to do. Thanks all for the tip.

Libby ☺

miralax
    I have had HUGE problems in this area ever since my first chemo. In addition to a daily high-fiber diet, I start taking Miralax the morning before I have chemo, mixing it in Silk chocolate soy milk or G2. As noted above, you can mix it almost anything since it has no flavor what-so-ever. I also take 2 colace and 2 citrucel, repeating the colace in the evening and the citrucel up to three times daily. If I'm still having problems (and often, even after three days of this regimin I am) I also take a 4 oz. dose of Milk of Magnesia in the evening.
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    lnyeholt said:

miralax
    I have had HUGE problems in this area ever since my first chemo. In addition to a daily high-fiber diet, I start taking Miralax the morning before I have chemo, mixing it in Silk chocolate soy milk or G2. As noted above, you can mix it almost anything since it has no flavor what-so-ever. I also take 2 colace and 2 citrucel, repeating the colace in the evening and the citrucel up to three times daily. If I'm still having problems (and often, even after three days of this regimin I am) I also take a 4 oz. dose of Milk of Magnesia in the evening.

Wow
    Inyeholt,

I think that would clean me right out!! I hope just a little Miralax will do this time around.

Libby ☺☺☺☺
  • TDodds68
    TDodds68 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    lnyeholt said:

miralax

lnyeholt
    I hear you there I have tried the mirilax 2 days now no response I do have to use that and suppositories alsong with caster oil when it is too bad. I was also using the senokot but those nasty burps make me so nausious I can't stand it.
  • lnyeholt
    lnyeholt Member Posts: 59
    Options
    TDodds68 said:

lnyeholt
    I hear you there I have tried the mirilax 2 days now no response I do have to use that and suppositories alsong with caster oil when it is too bad. I was also using the senokot but those nasty burps make me so nausious I can't stand it.

Miralax
    Actually, I take daily Miralax for about a week after each chemo. Usually it takes three days to get everything going again after my treatment. I was almost impacted after the first chemo and ended up in the emergency room because I was in so much pain. My oncologist says this was an unusual reaction but to be VERY agressive going forward. I also continue the colace and citrucel regimine as well then gradually decrease everything I'm taking over a few days.

I should probably mention that I suffer from both IBS and fibromyalgia, which compounds this particular problem.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator