Avastin Clinical Trial

Options
love9kidz
love9kidz Member Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,

I was just informed last week that I will need chemotherapy as well as radiation therapy. My oncologist has asked me to participate in an Avastin chemotherapy trial and after reading the multiple side effects, I am not sure that I want to participate in this trial. The drug is used now mostly in people with metastatic colon cancer and they want to test it for breast cancer treatment. Has anyone heard of this or participated in this trial?

May God bless you all.

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Hi love9kidz! Haven't seen
    Hi love9kidz! Haven't seen you in awhile. I am sorry that you have to have chemo and radiation. And, I haven't heard of Avastin or the trial. If you do it, good luck.

Post and let us know how you are doing!
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Trial
    Hello, Love9kidz, I also was offered the Avastin clinical trial. It was the regimen my oncologist wanted me to have. I got a second opinion, which was to decline the trial and have 6 rounds of TAC instead. That is what I chose to do. Another member of the board, who is a friend, is currently finishing up an Avastin trial. Hopefully, she will see your post and respond.

On the positive side for Avastin, at the time I was interested in the trial, my little sister, who is an RN and works some shifts in chemo, consulted her Chemo Supervisor. This Nurse Supervisor told my sister that the trial could only benefit me. Also on the Avastin side, my oncologist told me that it is what he would recommend to a family member, and what every other oncologist at the Cancer Center recommended for me. You might question your oncologist regarding the possible side effects. He/she should be able to answer your questions to your satisfaction.

Again, the TAC was my decision based on a second opinion. I would never have chosen any chemo without a second opinion, so I suggest that to you also.

From experience, we all know here how a cancer diagnosis forces us to make so many decisions, sometimes in a short amount of time. It can be agonizing. Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best. I hope my information is of some help to you in making your decision.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Hi! No, I haven't heard of
    Hi! No, I haven't heard of it, sorry. I do want to wish you good luck.

And, please keep us updated on how you are doing!

Hugs, Diane
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Trial
    Hello, Love9kidz, I also was offered the Avastin clinical trial. It was the regimen my oncologist wanted me to have. I got a second opinion, which was to decline the trial and have 6 rounds of TAC instead. That is what I chose to do. Another member of the board, who is a friend, is currently finishing up an Avastin trial. Hopefully, she will see your post and respond.

On the positive side for Avastin, at the time I was interested in the trial, my little sister, who is an RN and works some shifts in chemo, consulted her Chemo Supervisor. This Nurse Supervisor told my sister that the trial could only benefit me. Also on the Avastin side, my oncologist told me that it is what he would recommend to a family member, and what every other oncologist at the Cancer Center recommended for me. You might question your oncologist regarding the possible side effects. He/she should be able to answer your questions to your satisfaction.

Again, the TAC was my decision based on a second opinion. I would never have chosen any chemo without a second opinion, so I suggest that to you also.

From experience, we all know here how a cancer diagnosis forces us to make so many decisions, sometimes in a short amount of time. It can be agonizing. Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best. I hope my information is of some help to you in making your decision.

Glad to hear from you. No,
    Glad to hear from you. No, I don't know anything about the trial. But, I want to wish you good luck. Let us know how you are doing!
  • prv
    prv Member Posts: 107
    Options
    Kylez said:

Glad to hear from you. No,
    Glad to hear from you. No, I don't know anything about the trial. But, I want to wish you good luck. Let us know how you are doing!

i'm in avastin clinical trial
    i started a/c with avastin yesterday. I read alot about it and it's side effects. I also did breast cancer research on VEGF for a year (the molecule it inhibits) it feels weird using a drug on myself that i did some research on in the same area. I decided to go for it. Both my oncologist and onc nurse said they would do it if it was their choice. I just didn't want to look back and feel i hadn't done everything in my power to stop bc from spreading. This was my personal choice although. at first i was going to opt out. JUst decide and go with your gut feeling! Good luck!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    prv said:

i'm in avastin clinical trial
    i started a/c with avastin yesterday. I read alot about it and it's side effects. I also did breast cancer research on VEGF for a year (the molecule it inhibits) it feels weird using a drug on myself that i did some research on in the same area. I decided to go for it. Both my oncologist and onc nurse said they would do it if it was their choice. I just didn't want to look back and feel i hadn't done everything in my power to stop bc from spreading. This was my personal choice although. at first i was going to opt out. JUst decide and go with your gut feeling! Good luck!

What is avastin, prv?

What is avastin, prv?
  • prv
    Options
    susie09 said:

What is avastin, prv?

What is avastin, prv?

avastin
    avastin is a drug that works by inhibiting blood vessels that feed tumor growth. It have been used f0r colon cancer and brain tumors in the past (mostly advanced). It has also been used on advanced breast cancer with metastasis to liver and other organs and has been shown to shrink the tumors. However as it does work on blood vessels it has some side effects on the rest of the body's blood vessel , but these are usually tolerable. many people get high blood pressure while on the drug which is reversible once it is stopped. Some people get some mild bloody noses. While on the drug you really can't have major surgery. Wound healing can be slowed. it is now being used in a clinical phase III trial to try and prevent metastasis in breast cancer patients with higher risk for mets those with positive lymph nodes or large tumors).I wanted to go on this trial because if I do get mets in the future i will know that i have done everything in my power to have tried to prevent it. Hope that helps.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    prv said:

avastin
    avastin is a drug that works by inhibiting blood vessels that feed tumor growth. It have been used f0r colon cancer and brain tumors in the past (mostly advanced). It has also been used on advanced breast cancer with metastasis to liver and other organs and has been shown to shrink the tumors. However as it does work on blood vessels it has some side effects on the rest of the body's blood vessel , but these are usually tolerable. many people get high blood pressure while on the drug which is reversible once it is stopped. Some people get some mild bloody noses. While on the drug you really can't have major surgery. Wound healing can be slowed. it is now being used in a clinical phase III trial to try and prevent metastasis in breast cancer patients with higher risk for mets those with positive lymph nodes or large tumors).I wanted to go on this trial because if I do get mets in the future i will know that i have done everything in my power to have tried to prevent it. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the Avastin info
    Hi PRV, I am a 3A BC survivor. Fear of metastasis is lurking in the back of my mind. Do you know if Avastin is available for survivors who have already completed chemo (a year ago)? Is it a 4 week infusion? Lynn
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Hi PRV, I am a 3A BC survivor. Fear of metastasis is lurking in the back of my mind. Do you know if Avastin is available for survivors who have already completed chemo (a year ago)? Is it a 4 week infusion? Lynn

Avastin for Prevention
    Hi, Lynn, I believe Avastin as treatment to prevent recurrence is currently being tested only in conjunction with chemo. But, you might research trials. Clinicaltrials.gov is a site I use. When I get a chance, I will look, too.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Lynn and Moopy
    If you find something out about this let me know. Thanks
    hugs, jackie
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    rjjj said:

Lynn and Moopy
    If you find something out about this let me know. Thanks
    hugs, jackie

I am stage 1, but, this
    I am stage 1, but, this sounds like it might be worth looking into. Can anyone get this from their oncologist? Or, get in the study? Recurrence looms in the back of mind always. So many seem to have recurrences.
  • prv
    Options
    jnl said:

I am stage 1, but, this
    I am stage 1, but, this sounds like it might be worth looking into. Can anyone get this from their oncologist? Or, get in the study? Recurrence looms in the back of mind always. So many seem to have recurrences.

trial
    my understanding is that about 5,000 women will be enrolled in the trial i'm in. It is given with a/c and then taxol and then weekly for about a year. The women in this trial must have larger tumors or be node positive. I will also be getting radiation. It's going to be a long year for me! My first chemo went ok just had mild nausea and stomach fullness and was kind of tired this weekend. Hope I'm ok for work tomorrow. I'm alone with my seven year old girl. I just put a frozen pizza in the oven for her. It has been a movie weekend!
  • prv
    Options
    jnl said:

I am stage 1, but, this

trial
    my understanding is that about 5,000 women will be enrolled in the trial i'm in. It is given with a/c and then taxol and then weekly for about a year. The women in this trial must have larger tumors or be node positive. I will also be getting radiation. It's going to be a long year for me! My first chemo went ok just had mild nausea and stomach fullness and was kind of tired this weekend. Hope I'm ok for work tomorrow. I'm alone with my seven year old girl. I just put a frozen pizza in the oven for her. It has been a movie weekend!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    prv said:

trial

Thanks for the info prv. I
    Thanks for the info prv. I had wondered about that trial too. Hope you feel better.
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    prv said:

trial

I sure hope you're feeling good tomorrow
    When I read your post, it touched my heart, I will keep you in my constant thoughts and prayers. This year is going to be a long one for us all. But being alone with a little one has got to be a little scary too.

I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you, and will be here if you need to talk. My youngest is only 6 too.

May God Bless You through out your journey

Aurora
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Options
    prv said:

trial

Avastin
    Hi Prv. I am in the Avastin study. There are 3 different groups in the study and each is given a different regimen. I had Avastin with my chemo drugs and then surgery, followed by radiation and 10 doses of Avastin...one every 3 weeks. I have not noticed any really bad side effects with it at all, but I will know better once radiation is over.
    Good luck with your decision.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Avastin
    Hi Prv. I am in the Avastin study. There are 3 different groups in the study and each is given a different regimen. I had Avastin with my chemo drugs and then surgery, followed by radiation and 10 doses of Avastin...one every 3 weeks. I have not noticed any really bad side effects with it at all, but I will know better once radiation is over.
    Good luck with your decision.

Hey Prv! Just want to wish
    Hey Prv! Just want to wish you good luck!

Hugs,

Kristin