SUGAR

Options
chickad52
chickad52 Member Posts: 497
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Not sure if this has been dicussed before as I'm recently new to the board, But has anyone heard of not eating sweets during cancer treatments as cancer cells feed off sugar? Diane

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    I have, but I am not sure if
    I have, but I am not sure if thats true or not. Lord I hope not.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    I heard this too....
    but not sure if this is more of a holistic approach with diet. When I asked my Oncologist about food restrictions (and I rattled off a whole list!) she laughed at me and said I had two things to worry about since I was recieving treatment...no soy products & no grapefruit (this interfers with tamoxifen). She said everything else would apply to someone that opted not to have treatment and therefore, would need to watch what they ingested. Who really knows? :) Pammy
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    I love you pups photo. I asked my oncologist this question since my neighbor mentioned it to me in "97". He told me that no it was not the sugar that caused my cancer and the sugar would certainly not enhance my cancer. His comment was everything in moderation.

Hugs,

RE
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    RE said:

Welcome
    I love you pups photo. I asked my oncologist this question since my neighbor mentioned it to me in "97". He told me that no it was not the sugar that caused my cancer and the sugar would certainly not enhance my cancer. His comment was everything in moderation.

Hugs,

RE

I thought it was the
    I thought it was the artificial sweeteners??????
  • chickad52
    Options
    Thank You
    Thanks for all the info as I have a sweet tooth!!LOL
  • faithandprayer
    faithandprayer Member Posts: 177
    Options
    My doc
    My oncologist weighed in like the rest - "it's a myth". I received a long, convincing, scientific explanation Anyway, the answer from their office is "no", also.

Whew, was I relieved! Every time I have a chemo-hangover rebound, I crave birthday or wedding cake. Weird, I know. My kids (who totally find this a bonus) and I head to the grocery store, buy a 1/2 sheet birthday cake and dive in. As we're cutting it, we say "Happy Birthday to Someone" - it's really become a ritual.

Ahhh, the special moments & memories that have come from this!
  • chickad52
    Options

My doc
    My oncologist weighed in like the rest - "it's a myth". I received a long, convincing, scientific explanation Anyway, the answer from their office is "no", also.

Whew, was I relieved! Every time I have a chemo-hangover rebound, I crave birthday or wedding cake. Weird, I know. My kids (who totally find this a bonus) and I head to the grocery store, buy a 1/2 sheet birthday cake and dive in. As we're cutting it, we say "Happy Birthday to Someone" - it's really become a ritual.

Ahhh, the special moments & memories that have come from this!

Glad
    Glad to hear this Faith. What a great thing to do!!!!
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    My Onc.
    Did tell me no soy, and try to follow the no white flour/sgar diet. That is very hard todo so I am going with healthy moderaton, but so far no weight-loss.
    jackie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    rjjj said:

My Onc.
    Did tell me no soy, and try to follow the no white flour/sgar diet. That is very hard todo so I am going with healthy moderaton, but so far no weight-loss.
    jackie

I just heard soy and if you
    I just heard soy and if you are on tamox, no grapefruit. But, I never heard anything about sugar. It seems everything gives you or could give you cancer.