just been dignosed

Options
ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have just been told i have breast Cancer.I have surgery in a few days,then radiation.I am very scared but don,t feel like i have anyone to tell this to.

Comments

• mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi ppurdin
    Hi. I aso sorry about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed at the end of April, had bilateral mastectomy and started chemo July 2. I just had my second dose yesterday. I remember how I felt with my diagnosis. I found out at work and luckily my boss went thru the same thing 8 years ago. I think we all are scared. I am new to this site but from what I have been reading over the past few days these women are a wonderful support group from all over and all ages. This is the one place you can seem to ask anything. As you hear from people on this site you will find there are people who are years out from their diagnosis. The treatment isnt a cake walk and there are a lot of ups and downs along the way but I have to have hope that breast cancer is treatable with radiation and chemo. Ask lots of questions and come to this site often because these women are the ones you want to talk to. Not even your family can give you what these women can because we all have been there. Are they doing a lumpectomy then radiation and do you know about chemo. Let us know what the plan is and dont go thru it alone.

Hugs

Linda T
  • ppurdin
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi ppurdin
    Hi. I aso sorry about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed at the end of April, had bilateral mastectomy and started chemo July 2. I just had my second dose yesterday. I remember how I felt with my diagnosis. I found out at work and luckily my boss went thru the same thing 8 years ago. I think we all are scared. I am new to this site but from what I have been reading over the past few days these women are a wonderful support group from all over and all ages. This is the one place you can seem to ask anything. As you hear from people on this site you will find there are people who are years out from their diagnosis. The treatment isnt a cake walk and there are a lot of ups and downs along the way but I have to have hope that breast cancer is treatable with radiation and chemo. Ask lots of questions and come to this site often because these women are the ones you want to talk to. Not even your family can give you what these women can because we all have been there. Are they doing a lumpectomy then radiation and do you know about chemo. Let us know what the plan is and dont go thru it alone.

Hugs

Linda T

Breast Cancer
    Hi,thanks for your reply.Looks like i got lucky finding this web sight.I will visit it often.Yes i do have the surgery the second time next week.They will be removing more of my breast where the Cancer was when they did the lumsectomy.If it is in the limp nods they will remove them also.Then they are talkining 6 weeks of radiation.Good luck to you and God bless.
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Breast Cancer
    Hi,thanks for your reply.Looks like i got lucky finding this web sight.I will visit it often.Yes i do have the surgery the second time next week.They will be removing more of my breast where the Cancer was when they did the lumsectomy.If it is in the limp nods they will remove them also.Then they are talkining 6 weeks of radiation.Good luck to you and God bless.

Yes, indeed, ladies...
    breast cancer most certainly IS treatable. I lost both breasts by the time I was 40 and I turned 61 last month.
    There is life after cancer and it can be GOOD.
    Find the best treatment team you can and tell them everything that is going on with you during and after treatment. They will know how to help you deal with any issues or side effects you may encounter. And these vary greatly with each person and plan so don't be 'scared off' by other ladies' stories. You will be writing you own story here soon and it will be a great blessing to those who come after you.
    God bless.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome ppurdin......
    I'm very sorry for your dx, but happy that you have found us.

You can always feel free to post here about your worries. All on this board are either going through what you are, in fighting bc, or have been through it. There is much wisdom and compassion here, along with some humor too!!

Hugs,

CR
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    CR1954 said:

You can always feel free to post here about your worries. All on this board are either going through what you are, in fighting bc, or have been through it. There is much wisdom and compassion here, along with some humor too!!

Hugs,

CR

We're all sorry that you had

We're all sorry that you had to seek out a group like this but we're glad that you found us.

Zahalene has such great words of encouragement and words of wisdom. Knowing that someone has survived over 20 years after losing both breasts is a great comfort for me. And, I agree with her, there is life after cancer treatments. And, although we are all scared at one time or another, we are strengthened by the fact that we are fighting back when we have our treatments.

I also agree with Zahalene when she says that a good medical team is a must in finding the right treaments. My team has been wonderful, and I hope and pray that yours will be also.

Joyce
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    jk1952 said:

We're all sorry that you had

We're all sorry that you had to seek out a group like this but we're glad that you found us.

Zahalene has such great words of encouragement and words of wisdom. Knowing that someone has survived over 20 years after losing both breasts is a great comfort for me. And, I agree with her, there is life after cancer treatments. And, although we are all scared at one time or another, we are strengthened by the fact that we are fighting back when we have our treatments.

I also agree with Zahalene when she says that a good medical team is a must in finding the right treaments. My team has been wonderful, and I hope and pray that yours will be also.

Joyce

Hi Ppurdin, Welcome, sorry
    Hi Ppurdin, Welcome, sorry for the reason your here, but so glad you found us. A lot of us are at the beginning of this journery. You will never be alone in this. There will always be someone to talk to, maybe answer some questions. All it takes is for you to post. Best of luck to you with your surgery. Let us know how it goes.
  • ppurdin
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Hugs,

CR

Thank you.
    THANK YOU .i am going to love being able to visit this board.A CONCERN OF MINE ALSO IS I HAVE A OLDER SISTER WHO HAS ALREADY WENT THROUGH THE SAME SURGERY AND TREATMENTS THAT I WILL BE GOING THROUGH.She has this attitude that she has already been their and it is no big deal.She says things that get me down.I WOULD THINK SHE WOULD BE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT MY FEELINGS.She had some of her breast removed like I will be having done .and then radiation.She told me today if she had it to do over she would let them cut her breast off because it would be cheaper and wouldn,t have to have treatments.I TOLD HER SOME THINGS ARE WORTH MORE THEN MONEY.but as the day has gone by,I am thinking is she right?She has always been jelous of me and put me down alot.MY DAUGHTER SAYS I NEED TO STOP TALKING TO HER IF SHE MAKES ME FEEL THIS BAD,she also invited people to come to the hospital when i have surgery.I really just wanted my kids and husband their.IT IS VERY PERSONAL TO ME.she also tells everything that she knows.ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRIATED.i know i probley shouldn,t be worried about this but i am.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Thank you.
    THANK YOU .i am going to love being able to visit this board.A CONCERN OF MINE ALSO IS I HAVE A OLDER SISTER WHO HAS ALREADY WENT THROUGH THE SAME SURGERY AND TREATMENTS THAT I WILL BE GOING THROUGH.She has this attitude that she has already been their and it is no big deal.She says things that get me down.I WOULD THINK SHE WOULD BE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT MY FEELINGS.She had some of her breast removed like I will be having done .and then radiation.She told me today if she had it to do over she would let them cut her breast off because it would be cheaper and wouldn,t have to have treatments.I TOLD HER SOME THINGS ARE WORTH MORE THEN MONEY.but as the day has gone by,I am thinking is she right?She has always been jelous of me and put me down alot.MY DAUGHTER SAYS I NEED TO STOP TALKING TO HER IF SHE MAKES ME FEEL THIS BAD,she also invited people to come to the hospital when i have surgery.I really just wanted my kids and husband their.IT IS VERY PERSONAL TO ME.she also tells everything that she knows.ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRIATED.i know i probley shouldn,t be worried about this but i am.

First i want to say welcome.
    First i want to say welcome. I know how scared and confused you are right now. I just went through a double mastectomy, but i still dont know what treatments i will be getting besides hormone therapy. Your sister should realize that each person is their own. You may have more aggressive therapies. And everyone doesnt handle pain and emotions the same. I know it may be hard, but you should let your sister know that it isnt right for her to invite anyone to your surgery. Your daughter is right as well, you dont need the extra stress and sadness in your life from your sister. You need to take care of yourself and she doesnt sound like a good support person to me. Do what you want to do about your surgery day with only your kids and husband. You are right, it is very personal and its a very good idea to only have supportive people there with you. It is all about you and what you want. Take care and good luck.

laura
  • ppurdin
    Options
    lolad said:

First i want to say welcome.
    First i want to say welcome. I know how scared and confused you are right now. I just went through a double mastectomy, but i still dont know what treatments i will be getting besides hormone therapy. Your sister should realize that each person is their own. You may have more aggressive therapies. And everyone doesnt handle pain and emotions the same. I know it may be hard, but you should let your sister know that it isnt right for her to invite anyone to your surgery. Your daughter is right as well, you dont need the extra stress and sadness in your life from your sister. You need to take care of yourself and she doesnt sound like a good support person to me. Do what you want to do about your surgery day with only your kids and husband. You are right, it is very personal and its a very good idea to only have supportive people there with you. It is all about you and what you want. Take care and good luck.

laura

JUST BEEN DIGNOSED
    thank you so much.And i think you are right.IF I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT SHE WOULD HAVE DONE THIS i WOULD HAVE TOLD HER AFTER SURGERY.I WAS REALLY UPSET AT HER FOR INVITING PEOPLE.i also have another sister that these two might have words.Its terible that i have to worry about this.I AM SO THANKFUL THAT I FOUND THIS BOARD TO TALK TO SOMEONE LIKE YOU.tHANKS AGAIN.God Bless you.
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hello Ppurdin and Welcome
    I'm sorry you're feeling so alone right now, but you came to the right palce, I too am having a second surgury next week, they're calling it a re-incission, I guess the margin on side nearest the skin wasn't clean or clean enough after the lunpectomy so they're going back in.

It scares me because if it doesn't come back clean, then I don't know what happens next. My lymph nodes (5) were clean. So for now I just have to put my faith in God and pray that the surgeon knows what shes doing.

Please know the we are all in this together and you are not alone. We will all help you walk this new path, and are here to answer you questions as best we can, so if you need to talk or vent or just want to share a joke. Please come back often, and lets us know how you're doing.

You be in my thoughts and prayers next week.

God Bless
    Aurora
  • ppurdin
    Options

Hello Ppurdin and Welcome
    I'm sorry you're feeling so alone right now, but you came to the right palce, I too am having a second surgury next week, they're calling it a re-incission, I guess the margin on side nearest the skin wasn't clean or clean enough after the lunpectomy so they're going back in.

It scares me because if it doesn't come back clean, then I don't know what happens next. My lymph nodes (5) were clean. So for now I just have to put my faith in God and pray that the surgeon knows what shes doing.

Please know the we are all in this together and you are not alone. We will all help you walk this new path, and are here to answer you questions as best we can, so if you need to talk or vent or just want to share a joke. Please come back often, and lets us know how you're doing.

You be in my thoughts and prayers next week.

God Bless
    Aurora

surgery next week
    Hi,thank you and God bless.I PRAY YOU GET GOOD NEWS AS WELL.i am praying my lymph nodes are clean as well.Iv held up fairly well but Tues. is getting close.We are going to Church this morning,I hope i don,t get ask questions.I KNOW THEY MEAN WELL BUT JUST DON,T FEEL LIKE IT TODAY.I WILL KEEP IN TOUCH.GOD BLESS THIS MESSAGE BOARD.HAVE A GREAT DAY.Pat.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    ppurdin said:

surgery next week
    Hi,thank you and God bless.I PRAY YOU GET GOOD NEWS AS WELL.i am praying my lymph nodes are clean as well.Iv held up fairly well but Tues. is getting close.We are going to Church this morning,I hope i don,t get ask questions.I KNOW THEY MEAN WELL BUT JUST DON,T FEEL LIKE IT TODAY.I WILL KEEP IN TOUCH.GOD BLESS THIS MESSAGE BOARD.HAVE A GREAT DAY.Pat.

Hi ppurdin and welcome. I
    Hi ppurdin and welcome. I will keep you in my prayers! Good luck!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    ppurdin said:

surgery next week

Welcome Pat....
    So sorry to hear about the conflict with your sister. It makes it even harder when it is family. I am a quiet, easy going, layed back type person (darn, I sound pretty good, don't I?) but found after my diagnosis I had to become more assertive in my needs and wishes. This was a struggle for me because it took me out of my comfort zone and made me feel like someone I wasn't. But it became neccessary if I were to get through this and concentrate on me. I think maybe that is part of why so many people say you come out stronger in the end.
    As far as people asking you questions, you can always reply with "I don't have any new news right now, so that's a good thing!" and change the subject. That would be telling the truth, unless you actually DID receive some news in the course of your conversation with the person, then you would be lying. And I always believe in telling the truth!!!
    Hang in there. I just realized you are probably at church and hoping you were not asked too many questions. Come back often and keep us posted. :) Pammy
  • SoftBallMom2
    SoftBallMom2 Member Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I want to welcome you also.
    I want to welcome you also. These guys have helped me with alot with my worries. I just wanted to tell you that you don't need the stress of your sister right now. You need to just not talk to her right now. I want to tell you about my sister. My sister has done drugs and drinking for years. She went to rehab for a few months and had been clean. When I found out I had bc she came over and was crying telling me she wanted to be there for me since she had never been there before. That lasted about a week. She went out and drugged her self up one night and told my mom that the reason she did that was because I was getting all of the attention and she had a disease also.I didn't ask for bc or the attention. I would rather not have the attention. She has called alot since then and I just don't answer the phone. I can not handle her right now. I need to concentrate on me right now. She really hurt me by saying that.
    About the visitors, My dr told my husband to tell him or the nurse to tell everyone I didn't need alot of vissitors. I was there and needed to rest after my surgery. Ask your dr or nurse to tell everyone you don't want there to go. The hardest part for me has been the waiting. Just know we are here to help you or if you just need to vent! Sometimes that helps to relieve stress.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    ppurdin said:

JUST BEEN DIGNOSED
    thank you so much.And i think you are right.IF I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT SHE WOULD HAVE DONE THIS i WOULD HAVE TOLD HER AFTER SURGERY.I WAS REALLY UPSET AT HER FOR INVITING PEOPLE.i also have another sister that these two might have words.Its terible that i have to worry about this.I AM SO THANKFUL THAT I FOUND THIS BOARD TO TALK TO SOMEONE LIKE YOU.tHANKS AGAIN.God Bless you.

Welcome Ppur
    Very nice to meet you, sorry you are going through all this stuff but this site will help.
    My sister was a thoughtless b1tch when I was going through it too, as were many 'so called' friends. They are scared, they don't know what to say so they say the wrong things...it's normal, I'd have probably done the same (Yeah, I'm really good at opening my mouth and inserting my foot! LOL)
    Try not to worry, it just makes things worse, you will find that your priorities change and to let things pass...Sit back, relax and think about YOU...That is what is important right now. Good luck with your surgery, you'll sail through it and come out the other side a WARRIOR!

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • ppurdin
    Options

I want to welcome you also.
    I want to welcome you also. These guys have helped me with alot with my worries. I just wanted to tell you that you don't need the stress of your sister right now. You need to just not talk to her right now. I want to tell you about my sister. My sister has done drugs and drinking for years. She went to rehab for a few months and had been clean. When I found out I had bc she came over and was crying telling me she wanted to be there for me since she had never been there before. That lasted about a week. She went out and drugged her self up one night and told my mom that the reason she did that was because I was getting all of the attention and she had a disease also.I didn't ask for bc or the attention. I would rather not have the attention. She has called alot since then and I just don't answer the phone. I can not handle her right now. I need to concentrate on me right now. She really hurt me by saying that.
    About the visitors, My dr told my husband to tell him or the nurse to tell everyone I didn't need alot of vissitors. I was there and needed to rest after my surgery. Ask your dr or nurse to tell everyone you don't want there to go. The hardest part for me has been the waiting. Just know we are here to help you or if you just need to vent! Sometimes that helps to relieve stress.

sisters
    HI,THE PHONE JUST RANG AND IT WAS MY SISTER AND I DIDN,T ANSWER.yOU ARE RIGHT I JUST CAN,T DEAL WITH HER NOW.i DON,T KNOW WHY SHE IS DOING AND SAYING THINGS TO HURT ME RIGHT NOW.bUT I KNOW YOU ARE RIGHT I DON,T NEED IT RIGHT NOW.THE NURSE THAT DOES THE PREOP CALLED A FEW DAYS AGO AND ASK IF I HAD ANY CONCERNS AND I TOLD HER ABOUT MY SISTER INVITING WHO SHE WANTED.sHE SAID I COULD TELL THEM WHEN I GO IN TO LET JUST THE IMEDIATE FAMILY IN THE SURGERY WAITING ROOM.i HATE TO BE THAT WAY BUT I NEED TO RIGHT NOW.I AM SORRY ABOUT YOUR SISTER BEING THAT WAY WITH YOU ALSO.i WILL KEEP IN TOUCH.GOD BLESS YOU.love and prayers.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    ppurdin said:

sisters
    HI,THE PHONE JUST RANG AND IT WAS MY SISTER AND I DIDN,T ANSWER.yOU ARE RIGHT I JUST CAN,T DEAL WITH HER NOW.i DON,T KNOW WHY SHE IS DOING AND SAYING THINGS TO HURT ME RIGHT NOW.bUT I KNOW YOU ARE RIGHT I DON,T NEED IT RIGHT NOW.THE NURSE THAT DOES THE PREOP CALLED A FEW DAYS AGO AND ASK IF I HAD ANY CONCERNS AND I TOLD HER ABOUT MY SISTER INVITING WHO SHE WANTED.sHE SAID I COULD TELL THEM WHEN I GO IN TO LET JUST THE IMEDIATE FAMILY IN THE SURGERY WAITING ROOM.i HATE TO BE THAT WAY BUT I NEED TO RIGHT NOW.I AM SORRY ABOUT YOUR SISTER BEING THAT WAY WITH YOU ALSO.i WILL KEEP IN TOUCH.GOD BLESS YOU.love and prayers.

Good for you for standing up
    Good for you for standing up to your sister. I know it was probably not easy to not answer that call, but you are doing what is best for you right now and putting you first. Way to go, just stay strong and i hope your surgery goes well. Take up on the nurses advice too.

god bless
    laura
  • mgray
    mgray Member Posts: 7
    Options
    don't be scared
    Hello

I am a 10 year survivor. Please please follow doctor's orders. I had a tumor invasive carcinoma and I went through chemo and radiation and I survived it. Keep living and loving and do what you do today and don't stop. If you go to they gym, go to the gym. If you like basic beading like me, then bead and follow your doctor's orders. I did not get sick from chemo and I actually had adremician which was the highest type of chemo you can get. I traveled to the jazz festival during chemo treatments between my every three weeks. that is my advice.. Keep your postive mindset.