Cytoxan/Abraxane and Cytoxan/Adriamycin

Options
MarthaB
MarthaB Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I somehow deleted my original post where I was charming and spoke intelligently. Now you'll get the real me!

Diagnosed in November 2009 with poorly differentiated invasive ductal carcinoma. Three lumpectomies later and masectomy was the required treatment. I elected to do bi-lateral as I could not stand the idea that my other breast was potentially hanging out waiting to bring cancer back into my life. In April we did the skin sparing bi-lateral masectomies with TRAM flap reconstruction. In May the nipples failed and I went back for skin graft surgery. Finally healed enough to begin chemo July 6th.

July 6th I was to receive Taxotere and Cytoxan. Less than 2 minutes (really) into the Taxotere I had a severe allergic reaction (even with the steroids I'd taken the night before and the morning of). That treatment was changed to Cytoxan and Abraxane and I had this infusion last Monday, July 13th. Significant steriod given prior to treatment, Cytoxan went ok then Abraxane went to about 80% before I experienced allergic reaction again.

My questions: 1) I have joint pain in my wrists and ankle, the wrists starting today. Normal? Ice is helping; 2) Scratchy throat with a naggy tickle. Normal or unrelated? 3) Major heartburn and rock in my stomach but Aciphex seems to be helping the heartburn. Normal? 4) INSOMNIA!!! I was given Ativan but it doesn't seem to be helping with sleep or much of anything that I can feel. Any experience with insomnia? I almost feel like I'm vibrating inside....which probably sounds more fun than it is!....but I am really AWAKE! I've had about 12 hours of sleep in the last 5 days. Normal? 5) Adriamycin. What can you tell me? Has anyone had cardiac issues or allergic reactions? I've not been nervous but with the last two allergic reactions I'm getting a little gun shy.

Thank you for your time and attention. I'm kicking this things arse with LOVE and fortitude. I'm sorry we've all had to meet in this forum. May our daughters meet in much more loving and healthful ways.

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Martha.......
    Hello and welcome!

I had Adriamycin/Cytoxin and then Abraxane/Herceptin.

Yes to bone pain. Although, I had the pain in my legs and hips mostly. But the onc gave me meds. to help it.
    Heartburn...YES!
    Insomnia, well, I started with that when I had surgery. Has lasted all through chemo & then rads. I still suffer with it 7 months after chemo ended and 5 months after rads. The doc prescribed Ambien CR, but it did not help at all. I take Xanax now and can usually get a few hours sleep.

You keep kicking arse and I too hope that our daughters will be spared!

Hugs,

CR
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    Adriamycin
    Hi Martha,
    I am on Adriamycin/Cytoxan for my chemo treatment . I do have palpitations from the adriamycin. The doctor did a echocardiagram before my treatments and will do another after my last one which is this week. The nurses also do a EKG at every visit. Sorry to hear that you are having such allergic reactions to the meds. Good Luck and God Bless Diane
  • MarthaB
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Martha.......
    Hello and welcome!

I had Adriamycin/Cytoxin and then Abraxane/Herceptin.

Yes to bone pain. Although, I had the pain in my legs and hips mostly. But the onc gave me meds. to help it.
    Heartburn...YES!
    Insomnia, well, I started with that when I had surgery. Has lasted all through chemo & then rads. I still suffer with it 7 months after chemo ended and 5 months after rads. The doc prescribed Ambien CR, but it did not help at all. I take Xanax now and can usually get a few hours sleep.

You keep kicking arse and I too hope that our daughters will be spared!

Hugs,

CR

Thank you CR
    I went ahead and took Benedryl last night after the Ativan and was able to get some sleep. Thank you for the note about the bone pain and heartburn too.

I hope your insomnia resolves itself. Are you on Tamaxifen now?

Be well,

Martha
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    MarthaB said:

Thank you CR
    I went ahead and took Benedryl last night after the Ativan and was able to get some sleep. Thank you for the note about the bone pain and heartburn too.

I hope your insomnia resolves itself. Are you on Tamaxifen now?

Be well,

Martha

Martha....
    No, I'm not on Tamoxafen. I have Herceptin infusions until late Nov. because I'm HER-2 positive. But I was not ER/PR positive.

CR
  • MarthaB
    Options
    chickad52 said:

Adriamycin
    Hi Martha,
    I am on Adriamycin/Cytoxan for my chemo treatment . I do have palpitations from the adriamycin. The doctor did a echocardiagram before my treatments and will do another after my last one which is this week. The nurses also do a EKG at every visit. Sorry to hear that you are having such allergic reactions to the meds. Good Luck and God Bless Diane

Thank you Diane!
    Are the palpitations you feel as if your heart will burst or simply racing? I'm trying to guage what could possibly be a reaction. Do you do an echocardiogram each time with blood labs? Are steroids part of the prep either the day of or night before infusions? What sort of time frame do post effects kick in for you? For example, day 3 I know my joints will ache but my mood will be great sort of thing. How many infusions have you had? Is this your first round with Adriamycin? Have your blood counts been ok without additional meds?

I appreciate your time.

Martha
  • MarthaB
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Martha....
    No, I'm not on Tamoxafen. I have Herceptin infusions until late Nov. because I'm HER-2 positive. But I was not ER/PR positive.

CR

CR
    I hope your Herceptin goes well and everything resolves itself as expected. A speedy recovery!

Martha
  • MarthaB
    Options
    Nov 2008
    Nov 2008 original diagnosis not Nov 2009.
  • chickad52
    Options
    MarthaB said:

Thank you Diane!
    Are the palpitations you feel as if your heart will burst or simply racing? I'm trying to guage what could possibly be a reaction. Do you do an echocardiogram each time with blood labs? Are steroids part of the prep either the day of or night before infusions? What sort of time frame do post effects kick in for you? For example, day 3 I know my joints will ache but my mood will be great sort of thing. How many infusions have you had? Is this your first round with Adriamycin? Have your blood counts been ok without additional meds?

I appreciate your time.

Martha

Sorry Martha
    Sorry to respond late as I was out of town! I will have my 4th and last treatment of Adriamycin this week. My palpitations are like a skipping of beats, or like a fluttering. I've only had one echocardiagram and that was before my treatments. I get steroids the day of and have to take them for 3 days after. It's (Decadron).I usually feel OK for a couple of days then I'm very very tired and then the heart starts in. Not bad though, just annoying. My taste buds are gone also. That means nothing taste good. You'll will have to experiment with it. Eggs seem to be the only thing that taste good to me. Whatever you do make sure that you drink lots and lots of water to keep hydrated and keep the kidneys working. I get a Nulasta shot 24 hours after treatment to help build the white blood cells. So far the counts have been OK. Hope this of help to you. Let me know if you have more questions that I can help you with!! Good Luck and God Bless. Diane
  • cathlinberreth01
    cathlinberreth01 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Adriamycin
    Hi. I has 8 rounds of Adriamycin (CHOP) in 1995-1996 for treatment for Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL)and had my lifetime allowable dose. I was 22 and pregnant when I was diagnosed with NHL.

Today I am 36. I was diagnosed with breast cancer this June (probably due to chest radiation for the NHL)and my oncologist told me they will not give me anymore Adriamycin EVER. I start chemotherapy on Tuesday and will have to take Herceptin (which has side effects on the heart as well) and my heart is being monitored.

I have cardiomyopathy from the Adriamycin and just started taking the beta blocker Coreg (a heart medication to improve my heart function). I will have to take heart medication for the rest of my life. If my heart function decreases significantly on Herceptin, I may have to have a defibrillator put in. What is funny, is I have good blood pressure (100/65), good HDL/LDL numbers, no enlarged heart. My heart is structurally sound, it just is weakened from chemotherapy damage.

I have a hard time exercising. I can maintain a brisk walk, but inclines kill me. I get very short-winded and my heart rate goes really high. I hope the Coreg helps this effect.

I just thought you might like to know the long-term effects of Adriamycin. The short-windedness and heart medication is frustrating at times but is worth the 14 years it bought me.
  • MarthaB
    Options
    chickad52 said:

Sorry Martha
    Sorry to respond late as I was out of town! I will have my 4th and last treatment of Adriamycin this week. My palpitations are like a skipping of beats, or like a fluttering. I've only had one echocardiagram and that was before my treatments. I get steroids the day of and have to take them for 3 days after. It's (Decadron).I usually feel OK for a couple of days then I'm very very tired and then the heart starts in. Not bad though, just annoying. My taste buds are gone also. That means nothing taste good. You'll will have to experiment with it. Eggs seem to be the only thing that taste good to me. Whatever you do make sure that you drink lots and lots of water to keep hydrated and keep the kidneys working. I get a Nulasta shot 24 hours after treatment to help build the white blood cells. So far the counts have been OK. Hope this of help to you. Let me know if you have more questions that I can help you with!! Good Luck and God Bless. Diane

Thank you Diane
    Just got back to the board. Thank you for your response Diane. Did you celebrate after your last chemo infusion? If so, what did you do? How are you feeling?

Martha
  • MarthaB
    Options

Adriamycin
    Hi. I has 8 rounds of Adriamycin (CHOP) in 1995-1996 for treatment for Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL)and had my lifetime allowable dose. I was 22 and pregnant when I was diagnosed with NHL.

Today I am 36. I was diagnosed with breast cancer this June (probably due to chest radiation for the NHL)and my oncologist told me they will not give me anymore Adriamycin EVER. I start chemotherapy on Tuesday and will have to take Herceptin (which has side effects on the heart as well) and my heart is being monitored.

I have cardiomyopathy from the Adriamycin and just started taking the beta blocker Coreg (a heart medication to improve my heart function). I will have to take heart medication for the rest of my life. If my heart function decreases significantly on Herceptin, I may have to have a defibrillator put in. What is funny, is I have good blood pressure (100/65), good HDL/LDL numbers, no enlarged heart. My heart is structurally sound, it just is weakened from chemotherapy damage.

I have a hard time exercising. I can maintain a brisk walk, but inclines kill me. I get very short-winded and my heart rate goes really high. I hope the Coreg helps this effect.

I just thought you might like to know the long-term effects of Adriamycin. The short-windedness and heart medication is frustrating at times but is worth the 14 years it bought me.

Adriamycin/cathlinberreth01
    Cathlinberreth01,

Thank you for your response. I'm sorry to hear about your BC diagnosis after your having to deal with what Life has already handed you. I am only receiving 4 rounds of Adriamycin so perhaps have a "reserve" if ever needed. Thank you for sharing the cardiomyopathy you experience. I will make a mental note. Having an echocardiogram this Friday to prep for Monday's infusion. (Taxotere and Abraxane did not work for me/allergic reactions.) I have high blood pressure and a genetic predisposition to heart disease, not breast cancer thank you very much, and am a little spooked about the Adriamycin but I'm more focused on eating and exercising better.

I hope you're continued recovery is better than you expected.

Martha
  • chickad52
    Options
    MarthaB said:

Adriamycin/cathlinberreth01
    Cathlinberreth01,

Thank you for your response. I'm sorry to hear about your BC diagnosis after your having to deal with what Life has already handed you. I am only receiving 4 rounds of Adriamycin so perhaps have a "reserve" if ever needed. Thank you for sharing the cardiomyopathy you experience. I will make a mental note. Having an echocardiogram this Friday to prep for Monday's infusion. (Taxotere and Abraxane did not work for me/allergic reactions.) I have high blood pressure and a genetic predisposition to heart disease, not breast cancer thank you very much, and am a little spooked about the Adriamycin but I'm more focused on eating and exercising better.

I hope you're continued recovery is better than you expected.

Martha

Martha
    Just had my last treatment (of 4) Adriamycin/Cytoxcan last Thurs. I went for a echocardiagram and CT scan on the chest yesterday. I should have the results on Tues. when I go to the doc. Lets hope all goes well for us!! :) Diane