AFTER EFFECTS OF RADIATION

Options
Kristin N
Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Anyone who has finished rads having any problems?

Thanks! Kristin

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I haven't finished yet. I
    I haven't finished yet. I am burnt some, but, am using the creams. I have some pain, not for sure if it is the rads or the lumpectomy.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Where are you
    in rads? I finished in October '08. I was a little burned, but not too bad. The most significant thing for me is that I wimp out quickly. I have little energy and have to sleep more. Being tired also interferes with my ability to think. So maybe it's not just chemo brain! I feel a little better every day. Lynn
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Where are you
    in rads? I finished in October '08. I was a little burned, but not too bad. The most significant thing for me is that I wimp out quickly. I have little energy and have to sleep more. Being tired also interferes with my ability to think. So maybe it's not just chemo brain! I feel a little better every day. Lynn

I am still having a few
    I am still having a few problems. I just saw my radiation oncologist and he said that they are normal and that it just takes time. Problem is, I have no patience. lol

I have had some pains, pretty sharp ones that kind of stop you in your tracks. But, they only last a second, and, there are only a few, and then, they do go away.

I also still have some redness, but, he said that will fade. It is right at the booster site, not where I had the regular rads. He said it is normal and almost everyone has it and it will go away in time. Once again, No patience! lol

Think that is all for now. I hope that any problem that you are having is going away. And, if you don't think it is right, call or go see your rads doctor. I still see mine monthly. I love that guy and the techs. It is like going home..sort of. lol

Love, Jeanne
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

I am still having a few
    I am still having a few problems. I just saw my radiation oncologist and he said that they are normal and that it just takes time. Problem is, I have no patience. lol

I have had some pains, pretty sharp ones that kind of stop you in your tracks. But, they only last a second, and, there are only a few, and then, they do go away.

I also still have some redness, but, he said that will fade. It is right at the booster site, not where I had the regular rads. He said it is normal and almost everyone has it and it will go away in time. Once again, No patience! lol

Think that is all for now. I hope that any problem that you are having is going away. And, if you don't think it is right, call or go see your rads doctor. I still see mine monthly. I love that guy and the techs. It is like going home..sort of. lol

Love, Jeanne

also love my radiology team
    but i never expected the 3rd degree burns and the pain from it. I know this is not the normal..but i guess they gave me a more concentrated dosage (they said) It was a few weeks of hell but i am healing and know that this is what i had to do to fight the beast! I am just a little sore now and the fatigue is still hanging on but i am hoping it will lesson each day.
    The best thing i found for severe burning is to wet gauze pads with natural saline (the NR gave me this) and leave them on your skin until dry..when you take them off they will be hot as coals! but your skin will be soothed, then open to air at night. anyway along wigh good pain pills you will get through it. (this is worst case scenerio, so don't get alarmed..i heard i am one of just a few who burn this badly. wishing you the best, Jackie
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    rads.....
    I had some burning but nothing really horrible, like others have experienced. But I didn't have boosters either.

The area that was irradiated is kind of sensitive still...I finished rads in February. Like, kind of sore when I touch it.

Fatigue! By the time I finished rads and even now, I get so tired! I'm really hoping that gets better with time!

CR
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

rads.....
    I had some burning but nothing really horrible, like others have experienced. But I didn't have boosters either.

The area that was irradiated is kind of sensitive still...I finished rads in February. Like, kind of sore when I touch it.

Fatigue! By the time I finished rads and even now, I get so tired! I'm really hoping that gets better with time!

CR

I am not quite done, still
    I am not quite done, still in boosters. I am totally exhausted, even though I am getting lots of sleep. But, this is one of the side effects, to be tired. I am burnt, but, not horrible yet. The creams help to ease the burn and I keep aquaphor on the area at night to keep it moist. I am having pain. I didn't know if it is from the rads or still because of the lumpectomy, or both. My rads ocologist also said it is normal. Good luck to you!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    DianeBC said:

I am not quite done, still
    I am not quite done, still in boosters. I am totally exhausted, even though I am getting lots of sleep. But, this is one of the side effects, to be tired. I am burnt, but, not horrible yet. The creams help to ease the burn and I keep aquaphor on the area at night to keep it moist. I am having pain. I didn't know if it is from the rads or still because of the lumpectomy, or both. My rads ocologist also said it is normal. Good luck to you!

Burnt, tired, peeling,
    Burnt, tired, peeling, blisters, red around booster site and pain. Not a good thing.

Hope you heal up!