Having Surgery

Options
angel143
angel143 Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm having my surgery next week. I am scared. I don't know what to do. I have the list of things the doctor gave me I have to do to prepare my self for the surgery. But honestly I am really scared. This is my first time to undergo operation. I have never been confined in the hospital except of when I gave birth to my three children. And since I was diagnosed with BC I have been affected so much, I have ups and down since the dx.
But I really appreciate this group I have been reading all the information in the discussion board and everyone are so warm in supporting each other. I am glad I found you.
You are giving me strength.

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Sweet Angel~
    Just know that

Sweet Angel~
    Just know that your emotionas are so normal~none of us ever wanted to get a cancer dx, and have these decisions to make. But as you have seen from these boards, we are a strong, funny, active, HUMAN group of Warriors-Survivors! You will not have to do this alone, you know. Post anytime you feel the need, or just read the threads...you will continue to gain the needed strength, and be surrounded by Kindred Spirits.

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck next week Angel! That is wonderful if you find strength here. We

are all with you, every step of the way! Keep us updated!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck next week Angel! That is wonderful if you find strength here. We

are all with you, every step of the way! Keep us updated!

Good luck next week. I know
    Good luck next week. I know your scared and know matter what I say your still going to be scared. You will be fine. We have all been scared and we have all came through just fine and you will to. Know that your in our prayers. Please be sure to let us know how you are when your up to it.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Best wishes, angel143...
    ... for your upcoming surgery. I'll be hoping all goes well for you, with the best possible outcome.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Me too!!!
    Angel, I had 7 lumpectomies prior to this one and I never got over being scared. If you go back a few pages on the board, I wrote about my last experience. Everything that happened to me was true. There are 6 chapters. If anything, it may give you some free entertainment!! hugs............:) Pammy
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Me too!!!
    Angel, I had 7 lumpectomies prior to this one and I never got over being scared. If you go back a few pages on the board, I wrote about my last experience. Everything that happened to me was true. There are 6 chapters. If anything, it may give you some free entertainment!! hugs............:) Pammy

Wishing you the best!

Wishing you the best!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Me too!!!

I bumped them up for you
    so you didn't have to search for them :) Pammy
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi angel143
    I am a homecare nurse who absolutely hates needles. Anything sharp freaks me out. I had my surgery on 051309 and was afraid of everything. I needed valium for the CT scans because I was claustrophobic. What I never realized before in my practice is just how scary what the medical community thinks is a routine test is for the newly diagnosed cancer patient. The unknown is awful and if you have never had any procedures which was just like me that is stressful in of itself. I still have alot of up and downs and did go on an antidepressant and antianxiety med along with a sleeping pill. Watch your sleep because if you are not getting any or its not quality sleep it will make you more anxious and depressed. Also I got a great relaxation/imagery tape from the oncology social worker to help me relax before bed and I highly recommend journaling. It helps to get all the negative thoughts and fears down on paper.

I am new to this group and I really think this group is going to save my sanity. I too am glad I found it. Please stay in touch because I truely can say I have been there too

Linda T
  • angel143
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

I bumped them up for you
    so you didn't have to search for them :) Pammy

THanks
    Hi, Pammy
    I will be searching for the postings that I know that might help me with these agony I am going to. I gonna find yours.
    Thanks for being there for me.
  • angel143
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi angel143
    I am a homecare nurse who absolutely hates needles. Anything sharp freaks me out. I had my surgery on 051309 and was afraid of everything. I needed valium for the CT scans because I was claustrophobic. What I never realized before in my practice is just how scary what the medical community thinks is a routine test is for the newly diagnosed cancer patient. The unknown is awful and if you have never had any procedures which was just like me that is stressful in of itself. I still have alot of up and downs and did go on an antidepressant and antianxiety med along with a sleeping pill. Watch your sleep because if you are not getting any or its not quality sleep it will make you more anxious and depressed. Also I got a great relaxation/imagery tape from the oncology social worker to help me relax before bed and I highly recommend journaling. It helps to get all the negative thoughts and fears down on paper.

I am new to this group and I really think this group is going to save my sanity. I too am glad I found it. Please stay in touch because I truely can say I have been there too

Linda T

Journaling, thanks.
    Hi, Linda,
    I have thought of that but I was'nt that a good writer. But I think I will give it a try. I will keep a journal to put my thoughts down.
    Thank you.
  • angel143
    Options
    chenheart said:

Sweet Angel~
    Just know that

Sweet Angel~
    Just know that your emotionas are so normal~none of us ever wanted to get a cancer dx, and have these decisions to make. But as you have seen from these boards, we are a strong, funny, active, HUMAN group of Warriors-Survivors! You will not have to do this alone, you know. Post anytime you feel the need, or just read the threads...you will continue to gain the needed strength, and be surrounded by Kindred Spirits.

Hugs,
    Claudia

Thanks
    Thanks for the group of warriors-survivors that help me to think positive and to look forward.
    Hugs and kisses for everyone.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Angel
    We all have the strength, it just takes something like this for you to bring it out into the open. You will do great with your surgery and recovery, because that is what we do.
    I can't say don't be scared, but only that you can prepare as much as possible, and leave the rest to God and your surgeon.
    Let us know how it goes as soon as you are able.
    =^..^=
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Angel
    We all have the strength, it just takes something like this for you to bring it out into the open. You will do great with your surgery and recovery, because that is what we do.
    I can't say don't be scared, but only that you can prepare as much as possible, and leave the rest to God and your surgeon.
    Let us know how it goes as soon as you are able.
    =^..^=

Hey Angel!
    I am also so glad you found us. I don't even know what i would have done without my amazingly supportive sisters here. You will do fine. We do what we must. I am keeping you close in my thoughts and prayers, keep us posted...and best of luck hun.
    jackie
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    rjjj said:

Hey Angel!
    I am also so glad you found us. I don't even know what i would have done without my amazingly supportive sisters here. You will do fine. We do what we must. I am keeping you close in my thoughts and prayers, keep us posted...and best of luck hun.
    jackie

Hi Angel. I've had several

Hi Angel. I've had several surgeries during the past ten years, and it still scares me before I have my next one. Believe it or not, the thing that helped me most right before this last surgery was that I would be 'sleeping' during all of it and not know what was happening. I knew that during that time, I had the easy job. The doctor was going to do the work and my husband the worrying.

I remember my first surgery and going into the operating room and talking to my surgeon; then, my first memory post-surgery was the nurse yelling my name to wake me up. It's become much more civilized since then. For both surgeries this year, I had a sedative before I left for the operating room, and I remember nothing after that until I awoke on my own in recovery. My husband has learned to say goodbye before the sedative, since I won't remember anything afterwards.

We all go through a lot both in testing and treatments, but we find the strength to do it because we want to do whatever we can to fight the beast.

Joyce
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    surgery next week
    Hi,i also have surgery next week.And yes i also am scared.Its the unknown that gets me the most.Not knowing how much more Cancer they will find.HOPE AND I PRAY IT ISN,T IN MY LEMP NODS.aND DREADING THE TREATMENTS.tHEN ALL THE EMOTIONS GOING ON.i PRAY FOR ME AND ALL THAT IS GOING THROUGH THIS.Good luck to you.God bless.