Hormone Therapy and Ovarian Cancer Risk According to JAMA article

Options
susie09
susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
In the Wall Street Journal today, it had that the JAMA published an article stating this:

Meanopausal women who took hormone therapy raised their risk of ovarian cancer by 38%, a study

in JAMA said.

I went to the JAMA site and the article is there stating the risk of ovarian cancer if taking

hormone therapy.

Scary, isn't it?

Think I will pass on the hormone therapy for sure.

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My husband brought the Wall
    My husband brought the Wall Street home and showed it to me and I went to JAMA and read part of the article too.

It is eye opening since JAMA published it and agreed with it.

Thanks for bringing it up Susie!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

My husband brought the Wall
    My husband brought the Wall Street home and showed it to me and I went to JAMA and read part of the article too.

It is eye opening since JAMA published it and agreed with it.

Thanks for bringing it up Susie!

YIKES! is all I can say.
    YIKES! is all I can say. Glad I haven't started tamox yet.
  • Ltalcott
    Ltalcott Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Kylez said:

YIKES! is all I can say.
    YIKES! is all I can say. Glad I haven't started tamox yet.

I haven't read the article,
    I haven't read the article, but my guess is that they are talking about hormone replacement therapy for women going through menopause, not tamoxifen, which actually suppresses estrogen.

Ovarian cancer scares me a lot more than bc does--although rates are low, so I do know it's mostly an unreasonable fear.

Lisa
  • mrsziggy
    mrsziggy Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Ltalcott said:

I haven't read the article,
    I haven't read the article, but my guess is that they are talking about hormone replacement therapy for women going through menopause, not tamoxifen, which actually suppresses estrogen.

Ovarian cancer scares me a lot more than bc does--although rates are low, so I do know it's mostly an unreasonable fear.

Lisa

I was told by my doctor that
    I was told by my doctor that tamoxifen does increase the chance of ovarian cancer. They want you to take it but they have to tell you that this is a possible side effect. Some side effect, huh?
    Tracy
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    It is about tamoxifen. That
    It is about tamoxifen. That is why they have to tell you of that risk when they prescribe it for you.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    One sure way....
    As soon as my Doctors found out I had left my ovaries in after my hysterectomy 4 years ago, ALL 6 of them told me the same thing.....please get them out!! This is very important if you are ER/PR+. My fear is that when they take them out (maybe this sept/oct possibly sooner) and test them, they will find I have ovarian cancer as well. From what I understand, there is no way to test for this type cancer until it is well advanced!! But, either way, they are history!! :) Pammy
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

One sure way....
    As soon as my Doctors found out I had left my ovaries in after my hysterectomy 4 years ago, ALL 6 of them told me the same thing.....please get them out!! This is very important if you are ER/PR+. My fear is that when they take them out (maybe this sept/oct possibly sooner) and test them, they will find I have ovarian cancer as well. From what I understand, there is no way to test for this type cancer until it is well advanced!! But, either way, they are history!! :) Pammy

Ovarian cancer is one of the
    Ovarian cancer is one of the "silent" killers because when they find it, it is usually too late. I am also ER PR +, but, would not have a hysterectomy because of that. Everyone has to make their own choices. I know some doctor's recommend it, especially, if you are taking Tamox.

Just wish they would find a cure, then we wouldn't have to be talking about this or making these life and physical altering changes.

Kristin
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Ovarian cancer is one of the
    Ovarian cancer is one of the "silent" killers because when they find it, it is usually too late. I am also ER PR +, but, would not have a hysterectomy because of that. Everyone has to make their own choices. I know some doctor's recommend it, especially, if you are taking Tamox.

Just wish they would find a cure, then we wouldn't have to be talking about this or making these life and physical altering changes.

Kristin

Ovarian cancer is very
    Ovarian cancer is very scary. So many die from it because it is always too late when they find it. :(
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options

Ovarian cancer is very
    Ovarian cancer is very scary. So many die from it because it is always too late when they find it. :(

Is the risk of getting
    Is the risk of getting ovarian cancer just for those post menopausal? I will have to do hormonal therapy and havent gone thru menopaus yet? Great! Something else to worry about

laura
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    lolad said:

Is the risk of getting
    Is the risk of getting ovarian cancer just for those post menopausal? I will have to do hormonal therapy and havent gone thru menopaus yet? Great! Something else to worry about

laura

Tamoxifen carries that risk.
    Tamoxifen carries that risk. It is in one of the side effects. Just go over everything with

your oncologist so that you know the side effects. And, then make your choice.

I also googled tamox to find out as much as I could about it and have decided to not take it.

Noel
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    lolad said:

Is the risk of getting

laura

I know that
    it is hard not to be afraid of tamoxifen. But when your tumor was hormone fed,what can you do?I've been taking it for a little over a year now and my onc is going to keep me on it for the remainder of the 5 years because he says that the other drugs are more expensive and the side effects are harder to deal with. And I feel that he has my well being in mind and I've trusted him since the beginning for many reasons.
    My take on it is that I'm going to try not to worry about everything and keep hoping like my onc has said that it's doing good in my body as far as lessening my chance of recurrence. But everyone is different and we all can make our own choices. Do talk to your onc about it!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options

I know that
    it is hard not to be afraid of tamoxifen. But when your tumor was hormone fed,what can you do?I've been taking it for a little over a year now and my onc is going to keep me on it for the remainder of the 5 years because he says that the other drugs are more expensive and the side effects are harder to deal with. And I feel that he has my well being in mind and I've trusted him since the beginning for many reasons.
    My take on it is that I'm going to try not to worry about everything and keep hoping like my onc has said that it's doing good in my body as far as lessening my chance of recurrence. But everyone is different and we all can make our own choices. Do talk to your onc about it!

Great!
    This is the very first I have heard of this... Thanks for posting, I'll go and google it now then make a decission, I am pre menopausal (I think) and have been on tamox for a year.
    Thanks again Jxxxxxxxxxx
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Great!
    This is the very first I have heard of this... Thanks for posting, I'll go and google it now then make a decission, I am pre menopausal (I think) and have been on tamox for a year.
    Thanks again Jxxxxxxxxxx

Didn't your oncologist go
    Didn't your oncologist go over the side effects with you Tasha? He should have. I think that is why some choose to not take it. Too many side effects for very little help in regards to percentages.