New to this

Stubbrn
Stubbrn Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was diagnosed with DCIS invasive, her2/neu+++, ER+. I have had lumpectomy x2 with no clear margins I'm up to 7cm. Go for double radical modified mastectomy with lymph node check on both sides on the 23rd then Herceptin treatment and maybe chemo.
BOY AM I OVERWHELMED, HER2/neu+++ from what I've seen isn't good

Comments

  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Welcome Stubbrn!
    Hi Stubbrn and Welcome! Having bc and all of the treatments and tests that follow can be overwhelming for everyone. But, you will get thru it, as, we all have and still are going thru various treatments.

    As far as HER2 -, it is best to talk to your oncologist as to what that means and how it will affect you. I am HER2 +, so, I can't answer about what it means.

    I do wish you the best of luck! Please post and keep us updated on yourself!

    Hugs, Kristin
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Sweet Sister~
    As we often

    Sweet Sister~

    As we often say, "Welcome to the club you never wanted to join~" your being overwhelmed is certainly understandable. Diagnoses, treatment options, staging, etc etc weigh heavily on all of our minds. Fortunately, what things didn't perhaps "look good", as you say, only a few years ago, look MUCH better now! My oncologist told me that, although the numbers of those being diagnosed have not lowered significantly, the SURVIVAL RATES with the aggressive treatment options available to us have sky-rocketed! Breast Ca is almost ( I say tongue in cheek) a "run of the mill" cancer which, it seems, every woman will get and get over. I am not at all being condescending or taking this lightly~ ALL of us in here are dealing with killing the Beast. Some are out of treatment, some are caregivers, some in the midest of treatment, and others, such as yourself are in a big decision making stage. We are united in bonds of understanding and compassion the likes of which you will be hard pressed to find anywhere.

    One thing is certain; you are now part of this strong Family, and our ears and hearts are will you every step of your journey.

    Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Welcome Stubbrn...
    Glad you found us, though sorry for the reason. I think Claudia summed up alot for me. I can tell you that in my experience, waiting for EVERYTHING is the hardest part. For someone like me that is a VERY patient person, the waiting kills me in this instance. Hang in there. Come here often. And keep us posted. :) Pammy
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Stubbrn
    Hi, Stubbrn, I like your name. Being stubborn is a good thing when it comes to being a survivor. Which you are.

    Her2/Neu positive does mean the cancer was aggressive; however, Herceptin is a very powerful drug. My tumor was large, and my oncologist counted my Her2/Neu negative status as not good because Herceptin wouldn't help me. So, while it would be best to have a non-aggressive cancer (well, best is none at all), it is good to have a type for which there is a "targeted therapy" in addition to chemo and rads.

    Many here are on or have had Herceptin. I am sure you will hear from them. You will find much support and understanding and encouragement here, whatever our individual diagnoses.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Moopy23 said:

    Stubbrn
    Hi, Stubbrn, I like your name. Being stubborn is a good thing when it comes to being a survivor. Which you are.

    Her2/Neu positive does mean the cancer was aggressive; however, Herceptin is a very powerful drug. My tumor was large, and my oncologist counted my Her2/Neu negative status as not good because Herceptin wouldn't help me. So, while it would be best to have a non-aggressive cancer (well, best is none at all), it is good to have a type for which there is a "targeted therapy" in addition to chemo and rads.

    Many here are on or have had Herceptin. I am sure you will hear from them. You will find much support and understanding and encouragement here, whatever our individual diagnoses.

    Welcome Stubbrn
    I know how scary it all seems right now. But truly they have come so far with treatments. I am also Her2Neu pos. and what the Dr. told me the bad news was that i had an aggressive cancer but the good news was they had a powerful new drug for that. That drug is Herceptin and i am glad i have it.

    As Moopy, and ourother sisters here said you will find so much loving support here with your new sisters in pink.
    hugs, jackie
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    rjjj said:

    Welcome Stubbrn
    I know how scary it all seems right now. But truly they have come so far with treatments. I am also Her2Neu pos. and what the Dr. told me the bad news was that i had an aggressive cancer but the good news was they had a powerful new drug for that. That drug is Herceptin and i am glad i have it.

    As Moopy, and ourother sisters here said you will find so much loving support here with your new sisters in pink.
    hugs, jackie

    Welcome
    I am also HER2 pos. Very glad that there is Herceptin. I have had three months(once a week for 12 weeks)(one more to go) of Herceptin w/Taxol(once every three weeks) and then will have another year of just Herceptin starting in August.

    Herceptin targets the protein that is over expressed on the gene to kill it.

    Her2 pos is an aggressive type breast cancer so you have to treat it agressively in this way.

    Hugs, Margo
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Welcome, Stubbrn
    We're all here to support and encourage each. Glad to have you.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    so sorry
    to start off, be glad that you found this site. It helps so much to talk and share with others that are going through the same thing. Waiting and not knowing what will happen next is so frustrating isnt it? Just remember you are not alone and keep faith, that is so important. Good luck and hugs to you.

    laura
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Overwhelming it is..
    but it does get a bit better. It will help when you get your treatment plan. Hope all goes well for you.

    Cat
  • stmgriffin
    stmgriffin Member Posts: 25
    Waiting is the worst
    I just found out June 10,2009 I had breast cancer. Had a radical mastectomy and eleven lymph nodes removed..Waiting for the test results have to be the worst part..I did find out yesterday that I do not have to take chemo. Thank God..I am starting the reconstruction process now..
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Sorry I'm late
    But I wanted to Welcome you to the site, this is great place to come for support, answers and news friends, on this unwanted journey.
    I am not HER2+, so I can't help you in that area, but stay strong, I'm am also having a re-incission on the 23rd, so I'll be thinking of you.
    God Bless
    Aurora
  • djteach
    djteach Member Posts: 273
    Hi Stubbrn,
    I know exactly

    Hi Stubbrn,
    I know exactly how you feel. It seems that you get used to one aspect of this disease (beast), and something different crops up. The silver lining is that no matter how aggressive the disease, there's a medicine that is just as aggressive. I don't know what kind of support you have at home, but you need to have someone go with you to all of your appts. Grab pen and paper and start writing down questions that you want to ask the drs. Having 2 people there helps you remember everything that was said and explained. It can be hard for us to focus when our brains are in overload. It will help you to have someone there as moral support.

    Don't forget to ask questions and have them explain in a way that makes sense to you. Remember that they work for you, not the other way around. Welcome sister warrior, we will all be here for you.

    Love and Gentle Hugs,
    Donna
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Hi Stubbrn and welcome!
    Hi Stubbrn and welcome! Wishing you good luck!
  • Stubbrn
    Stubbrn Member Posts: 19

    Sorry I'm late
    But I wanted to Welcome you to the site, this is great place to come for support, answers and news friends, on this unwanted journey.
    I am not HER2+, so I can't help you in that area, but stay strong, I'm am also having a re-incission on the 23rd, so I'll be thinking of you.
    God Bless
    Aurora

    Surgery
    Going to for my double mastectomy with lymph node removalon both sides on the same day I'll say a prayer for you before I go under. talk to you when I'm able let everyone know how it goes.

    Deb
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Stubbrn said:

    Surgery
    Going to for my double mastectomy with lymph node removalon both sides on the same day I'll say a prayer for you before I go under. talk to you when I'm able let everyone know how it goes.

    Deb

    Good luck to you Deb! You
    Good luck to you Deb! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!