why not surgery first???

Options
labtech
labtech Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
hi, it's labtech again. i am going for my last chemo next wk but i met a woman who had stage 2 breast and they did her surgery first? i have stage 1 and they did my chemo first, this will be 19 or 20 treatments for me. I am worried they have overdone it with the chemo my tumors were between 1 and 2" in size. i will have radiation and a hormone pill after all this as well. has anyone had the chemo first and so much for such small tumors? i know every doc does things different but i've been so sick and just don't come back for a long time with the adriamycin and cytoxin this time. they also give the Naulasta to bring the white cells up which im not having next wk. thanks again \

tracey

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Hey Labtech
    Hmmm. I thought

Hey Labtech
    Hmmm. I thought they only did chemo first to shrink large tumors so I dont understand why
    you had it first with stage one unless there were a lot of them.I had surgery first with 2
    small 2 c tumors. And that's a lot of treatments. I'm just having 6 total. I guess you need to get the ONC. to 'splain it to you, and please let us know the answer.
    Dee
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Just a thought...
    I'm not sure, but you said 1 and 2" (inches)? That is bigger than 1 or 2cm (centimeters). Some doctors will shrink the tumor first if you are having lumpectomy done to spare more of the breast. This is done to alot of smaller chested women (like me!)that have larger tumors as well. This will spare alot of breast tissue. Did you have a lumpectomy? :) Pammy
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Just a thought...
    I'm not sure, but you said 1 and 2" (inches)? That is bigger than 1 or 2cm (centimeters). Some doctors will shrink the tumor first if you are having lumpectomy done to spare more of the breast. This is done to alot of smaller chested women (like me!)that have larger tumors as well. This will spare alot of breast tissue. Did you have a lumpectomy? :) Pammy

I thought they only gave
    I thought they only gave chemo first to shrink the tumor or tumors. And, chemo is almost always given for any tumor over 2cm.

Ask your oncologist and let us know why. I am curious now as to why you are getting chemo first too.

Good luck, Kristin
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Kristin N said:

I thought they only gave
    I thought they only gave chemo first to shrink the tumor or tumors. And, chemo is almost always given for any tumor over 2cm.

Ask your oncologist and let us know why. I am curious now as to why you are getting chemo first too.

Good luck, Kristin

I also thought that chemo
    I also thought that chemo was just given prior to surgery to shrink the tumor. I have no idea.
  • labtech
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Just a thought...

hi pammy,
    i met with the

hi pammy,

i met with the surgeon today and we are not sure of a lumpechtomy or not yet. my problem was i had to switch surgeons due to her husband dying and she will not be back till the fall or winter. this surgeon has to get all my facts and test back before i have it done. it's been really hard, but because i have enlarged lymphnodes, they decided to give me the chemo first and radiation after surgery. i have to trust them and feel they know the best thing for me. thanks.

tracey
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    labtech said:

hi pammy,
    i met with the

hi pammy,

i met with the surgeon today and we are not sure of a lumpechtomy or not yet. my problem was i had to switch surgeons due to her husband dying and she will not be back till the fall or winter. this surgeon has to get all my facts and test back before i have it done. it's been really hard, but because i have enlarged lymphnodes, they decided to give me the chemo first and radiation after surgery. i have to trust them and feel they know the best thing for me. thanks.

tracey

Tracey
    Tracey,
    I'm sorry you have to switch surgeons but it is for the best right now. Chemo is doable. Trust your docs and if you have any ill feelings then you need to see someone else.

How big are your tumors--cm or inches?

Margo
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    labtech said:

hi pammy,
    i met with the

hi pammy,

tracey

Good luck. Sorry about
    Good luck. Sorry about having to switch surgeons.
  • stmgriffin
    stmgriffin Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Tumor size
    My tumor was 3cm and I had a mastectomy and found out yesterday that I am not going to have to take chemo. I will be taking medication by mouth.
  • labtech
    Options

Tracey
    Tracey,
    I'm sorry you have to switch surgeons but it is for the best right now. Chemo is doable. Trust your docs and if you have any ill feelings then you need to see someone else.

How big are your tumors--cm or inches?

Margo

they said my tumors are 1-2"
    they said my tumors are 1-2" in size. i have to trust what they are doing for me now.

tracey
  • labtech
    Options

Tumor size
    My tumor was 3cm and I had a mastectomy and found out yesterday that I am not going to have to take chemo. I will be taking medication by mouth.

that is great. i wish you
    that is great. i wish you the best.

tracey
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Tumor size

Chemo orally? What kind are
    Chemo orally? What kind are you taking?