Starting Chemo Monday

Alison Webb
Alison Webb Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This is my first post in close to a month. I am new. I haven't been online since surgery, a little more than three weeks ago. I am recovering from a bilat mast. and found out monday I start chemo this comming monday. Did the heart scan yesterday, friday the chest port goes in and the no boobs, and no hair? am I going for a Homer Simpson look? My poor husband! He says he's gonna shave his head too. I hoping you'll have more words of support and wisdom for us. We are both pretty raw.
Alison

Comments

  • SoftBallMom2
    SoftBallMom2 Member Posts: 56 Member
    How was the heart test? I
    How was the heart test? I have mine tomorrow. My port is going in on Wed 7/22 and I start chemo on Thurs 7/23. I had my surgery June 11. Had a masectomy and part of my recontruction with the stomach tram flap. Just now starting to feel better and now it is time for chemo. Don't know any wisdom but You will get thru all of this because you have to. Everyone has told me it is doable. So I am trying to be really positive and just get thru this so I can move on with my life. You will get alot of good advice and so much support from these guys. Everyone has been so great! It really means alot when you have people you can talk to. Hope everything goes well. I will be thinking of u on Monday. Let me know how it goes.
  • Alison Webb
    Alison Webb Member Posts: 13

    How was the heart test? I
    How was the heart test? I have mine tomorrow. My port is going in on Wed 7/22 and I start chemo on Thurs 7/23. I had my surgery June 11. Had a masectomy and part of my recontruction with the stomach tram flap. Just now starting to feel better and now it is time for chemo. Don't know any wisdom but You will get thru all of this because you have to. Everyone has told me it is doable. So I am trying to be really positive and just get thru this so I can move on with my life. You will get alot of good advice and so much support from these guys. Everyone has been so great! It really means alot when you have people you can talk to. Hope everything goes well. I will be thinking of u on Monday. Let me know how it goes.

    Heart test
    The test was nothing to be concerned about. Just a poke and some pictures. I had my surgery June 19th and am planning on the on the tummy tuck reconstruction after chemo. How was the recovery and surgery. I let you know how monday goes.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Hang in there and when it's
    Hang in there and when it's over and time has passed, you won't remember. Anything you want to remember write it down. I was diagnosed in 2003 and lots is gone from memory. So just get through it. Chemo affects everyone different and I hope you sail through it.
  • SoftBallMom2
    SoftBallMom2 Member Posts: 56 Member

    Heart test
    The test was nothing to be concerned about. Just a poke and some pictures. I had my surgery June 19th and am planning on the on the tummy tuck reconstruction after chemo. How was the recovery and surgery. I let you know how monday goes.

    I am really tight. Didn't
    I am really tight. Didn't have alot of tissue to move up there. Some days were better than others. I had never been cut on before. Just laproscopic surgeries. So that was hard. I thought I should just bounce right back and I haven't. Everyday gets a little better. They cut me from one bone alway across to the other bone. They had to move my bellybutton over a little. I had to sleep in the recliner with my legs propped up with pillows for two weeks, but I had 6 drains also. They are not the most comfortable thing. It is doable and you will be fine. Don't worry about it. How come they could not do it all at the same time?
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    welcome back Alison
    sounds like your surgery went good, so that is a good start to begin with. I can't help with that as I had a partial on one breast only, but the chemo is different for everyone, depending on the person and depending on the chemo the prescribe. But I was told that almost all the bc chemo makes you lose your hair, so that Homer Simpson look is going to be "in" for you in the near future. Sounds like you have a great attitude towards it, so that is a big plus. Good luck with it all, and let us know how it goes.
    Cat
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    cats_toy said:

    welcome back Alison
    sounds like your surgery went good, so that is a good start to begin with. I can't help with that as I had a partial on one breast only, but the chemo is different for everyone, depending on the person and depending on the chemo the prescribe. But I was told that almost all the bc chemo makes you lose your hair, so that Homer Simpson look is going to be "in" for you in the near future. Sounds like you have a great attitude towards it, so that is a big plus. Good luck with it all, and let us know how it goes.
    Cat

    Alison
    glad your back with us. I am happy your surgery is over..and went well. I am also glad you have a sense of humor and optimistic attitude that comes in very handy! Keep in touch and i'm wishing you all the best
    hugs, jackie
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Biggggg hurdle!!
    OK, you just completed your first hurdle (The Big One!) and you deserve a round of applause. What a hubby! Letting you know he is there with you in your battle!! I do not have to do chemo, but I have heard the voices of many that have and honey, if they can make it, any of us can!! Hang in there, hold onto each other, and take it one day at a time. We will be here for you. :) Pammy
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    rjjj said:

    Alison
    glad your back with us. I am happy your surgery is over..and went well. I am also glad you have a sense of humor and optimistic attitude that comes in very handy! Keep in touch and i'm wishing you all the best
    hugs, jackie

    I am wishing you well with
    I am wishing you well with your chemo next Monday! It is one more thing to fight the beast, just remember that! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

    Good luck! Kristin:)
  • SMR013069
    SMR013069 Member Posts: 5
    Akiss4me said:

    Biggggg hurdle!!
    OK, you just completed your first hurdle (The Big One!) and you deserve a round of applause. What a hubby! Letting you know he is there with you in your battle!! I do not have to do chemo, but I have heard the voices of many that have and honey, if they can make it, any of us can!! Hang in there, hold onto each other, and take it one day at a time. We will be here for you. :) Pammy

    I agree you do deserve a big
    I agree you do deserve a big round of applause for making it over hurdle number one (surgery) and you will make if over number two (chemo) also. I have my third chemo of eight on Tuesday so I am right there with you. Do you know which chemo drugs they are giving you? Just be sure to speak up, if you are sick, they can give you something for that, don't try to tough it out and be sure to take time for yourself to relax and take it easy after. For me not too many side effects, hope the same goes for you. Good luck will be thinking about you!! Sara
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    SMR013069 said:

    I agree you do deserve a big
    I agree you do deserve a big round of applause for making it over hurdle number one (surgery) and you will make if over number two (chemo) also. I have my third chemo of eight on Tuesday so I am right there with you. Do you know which chemo drugs they are giving you? Just be sure to speak up, if you are sick, they can give you something for that, don't try to tough it out and be sure to take time for yourself to relax and take it easy after. For me not too many side effects, hope the same goes for you. Good luck will be thinking about you!! Sara

    Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck with your chemo next week. Keep us updated if you feel like it!

    Kylez :)
  • jenyj89
    jenyj89 Member Posts: 6
    Chemo
    Good luck with your chemo. I just finished my 5th out of 8 chemo treatments. The first 4 were Adriamyacin and Cytoxin and now the last 4 will be Taxol. Like everyone says, it effects different people differently and you don't know until you get there. My first 4 weren't bad but it was the Neulasta shot I got the next day to build up my white blood cells that killed me...made every bone in my body ache and I felt 100 years old. So far, the second day after my first Taxol treatment just feel a little weak in my joints but I'm doing okay.

    I understand the "raw" feeling. My husband cried as much as I did when we first got the diagnosis news but then he was great. Now he tells me that at least I have a great shaped head so I can pull of the bald look and he makes me laugh. I have a little peach fuzz so it's not completely bald. I call it my "Telly Savalas" look. At first I was very self-concious but now when I get a hot flash at work, in my cubicle, I take off my hat and make no excuses if someone walks up. I am what I am and I'm afraid I have to feel comfortable.

    Chemo was a bit scary for me but I asked the nurses alot of questions and they were wonderful. They explained everything to me. They were always there for me. Lean on them if you're nervous or scared. They understand...at least they did with me.

    I'll say a little prayer for you. All of us need a prayer sometime. Cancer and everything it brings is a scary thing and we all lean on each other for help. I like to wear my t-shirt that is pink, with purple letters that say "Breast Cancer Sucks".

    Jeny
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Hair today.......gone tomorrow
    Hang in there Alison! As everyone has said, chemo is different for each person.....I have had two of my 4 infusions....I am having Taxotere and Cytoxin, if this helps.....for the first 20 minutes the drugs they give me are anti nausea drugs and benedryl, then they wait about 15 minutes before they start the "big guns".... I also take drugs in pill form on the day before chemo....(steriod) Decadron which is also anti nausea and take them for 3 days post chemo.....I have been so lucky, I have not had the FIRST WAVE of nausea...not a bit! I have experienced some tough bone pain and muscle spasms from the Neulasta shot that I take the day after chemo but again, they have given me pain meds to take for that...this is to force your body to produce white blood cells to ward off infections......the second time I had the injection, it wasn't bad at all.....My energy level is off the week following chemo and my taste buds are all screwed up for about 5 days......DRINK TONS OF WATER......AND REST REST REST.......the fatigue gets a bit worse with each infusion as it is cumulative...Take good care of yourself........this is all about YOU......

    My hair started falling out EXACTLY 14 days after the first chemo......I am now bald....but that's okay, I have a great wig and lots of scarves.....BALD IS BEAUTIFUL......yeah, on men! tee- hee......You will get through this, I promise..some how we are able to reach deep inside ourselves and discover strength and courage we never knew existed......I will have 7 weeks of radiation once my chemo is over the end of August......

    I wish you well.......
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Welcome back, Alison
    Congratulations on getting through the surgery. That's huge. Now onto chemo. Just know that every step you take is one more step toward good health and recovery. No, no one loves chemo, but it is definitely doable. I survived 6 rounds of 3 drugs (TAC) and you will, too. Just take it easy, rest, drink lots of water, try to eat healthy (or just eat, if you have taste changes), and be very, very good to yourself. That raw feeling will be there for a while, but even that will eventually fade into the background. Give yourself lots of rewards and indulgences. I have learned to do this and I love my life now. Even if it's just a trip to a coffee shop for your favorite latte, or a weekend away, you deserve it. Good luck and we're here for you every step of the way.

    Mimi
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    mimivac said:

    Welcome back, Alison
    Congratulations on getting through the surgery. That's huge. Now onto chemo. Just know that every step you take is one more step toward good health and recovery. No, no one loves chemo, but it is definitely doable. I survived 6 rounds of 3 drugs (TAC) and you will, too. Just take it easy, rest, drink lots of water, try to eat healthy (or just eat, if you have taste changes), and be very, very good to yourself. That raw feeling will be there for a while, but even that will eventually fade into the background. Give yourself lots of rewards and indulgences. I have learned to do this and I love my life now. Even if it's just a trip to a coffee shop for your favorite latte, or a weekend away, you deserve it. Good luck and we're here for you every step of the way.

    Mimi

    Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with chemo on Monday! We will be with you in thought and prayer!
  • Alison Webb
    Alison Webb Member Posts: 13
    jenyj89 said:

    Chemo
    Good luck with your chemo. I just finished my 5th out of 8 chemo treatments. The first 4 were Adriamyacin and Cytoxin and now the last 4 will be Taxol. Like everyone says, it effects different people differently and you don't know until you get there. My first 4 weren't bad but it was the Neulasta shot I got the next day to build up my white blood cells that killed me...made every bone in my body ache and I felt 100 years old. So far, the second day after my first Taxol treatment just feel a little weak in my joints but I'm doing okay.

    I understand the "raw" feeling. My husband cried as much as I did when we first got the diagnosis news but then he was great. Now he tells me that at least I have a great shaped head so I can pull of the bald look and he makes me laugh. I have a little peach fuzz so it's not completely bald. I call it my "Telly Savalas" look. At first I was very self-concious but now when I get a hot flash at work, in my cubicle, I take off my hat and make no excuses if someone walks up. I am what I am and I'm afraid I have to feel comfortable.

    Chemo was a bit scary for me but I asked the nurses alot of questions and they were wonderful. They explained everything to me. They were always there for me. Lean on them if you're nervous or scared. They understand...at least they did with me.

    I'll say a little prayer for you. All of us need a prayer sometime. Cancer and everything it brings is a scary thing and we all lean on each other for help. I like to wear my t-shirt that is pink, with purple letters that say "Breast Cancer Sucks".

    Jeny

    Thank you
    I love the t-shirt, where did you find that?
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

    Thank you
    I love the t-shirt, where did you find that?

    Good luck to you Monday
    Good luck to you Allison with your chemo on Monday.

    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

    Susie :)
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

    Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with chemo on Monday! We will be with you in thought and prayer!

    hey Allison, Good luck
    hey Allison, Good luck Monday, My first treatment was 2 weeks ago and I go for my second treatment this Wednesday. Still have my hair today, maybe gone tomorrow, but here today. will be thinking of you
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Hello, Alison
    Best wishes to you, for your first chemo treatment on Monday. We're all here to support and encourage each other. Many here are experiencing chemo right now, and many are done with it. We'll be here for you, each step along the way.