Permanent Hair Loss from Radiation Treatment

Options
Noel
Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I thought I would just start a new thread for you Pammy. That way your question will be seen and answered by more.

My hair loss is permanent, from what I understand, under my arm from the radiation. The rad treatments were given to my underarm to kill any stray cancer cells that might still be there. My nodes were clean. I think that is pretty standard for them to give you rads under your arm.

Guess we will see what the others say!

Hugs, Noel

Comments

  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    wouldn't that be great?
    I wish my hair under the affected arm hadn't grown back, but it has. Maybe not as much, and a lot finer, but it is there, so I still have to deal with it. I know others have not had it grow back, and I am glad for them. Who knows? We all do react differently to this stuff, don't we?
    Good luck Pammy
    =^..^=
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    cats_toy said:

    wouldn't that be great?
    I wish my hair under the affected arm hadn't grown back, but it has. Maybe not as much, and a lot finer, but it is there, so I still have to deal with it. I know others have not had it grow back, and I am glad for them. Who knows? We all do react differently to this stuff, don't we?
    Good luck Pammy
    =^..^=

    No Hair and I am Happy About it!
    I have no hair under either of my underarms, due to the radiation

    treatments. And, I have no sweat glands there either, so, I don't sweat. So, I save money

    on deodorant too. lol More for retail shopping! :)

    Yes Cat, I guess we do all react differently or just plain have different rad treatments.

    Or, perhaps both.



    Love, Jeanne
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    how sweet Noel...
    Thank you so much for starting a new thread for me. That was really sweet! I am concerned if they are getting under my arm as my arm is actually positioned more perpendicular to my side rather than up over my head. Also, my tattoos run from about 6 inches under my arm pit, across my chest, and to the middle of my sterum. He did say he was doing an extended whole breast radiation and then the consintrated boosters. It just doesn't seem like it will be going up under my arm? I can only hope!! I would love to lose the hair permanently!! Now if we can only get the other arm pit too!! :) Pammy
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    None here either
    I had 16 weeks of rads on the lumpectomy side and I have no hair under my arm and no sweat glands there either. It is a little perk I guess :-D.

    RE
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    RE said:

    None here either
    I had 16 weeks of rads on the lumpectomy side and I have no hair under my arm and no sweat glands there either. It is a little perk I guess :-D.

    RE

    No hair, No sweat glands = Bonus from rads lol
    Wow RE! How did you ever get thru 16 weeks of rads? You are one wonderful, amazing woman! 7 1/2 weeks about did me in this time. The first time I had rads, they never told me about the loss of hair and the sweat glands. Ofcourse, maybe they didn't know. That was a long time ago. I didn't even find it in the literature this time, but, my rads oncologist did inform me that it "could" happen, which I already knew anyway. And yes, it is a litte perk from it. lol Hey, we deserve something good out of it.

    Pammy, you might ask your radiation oncologist, just to see. But, I am sure that he is radiating under your arm too. I think they all do that. Let us know!

    Love, Jeanne
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
    I just have a few "stragglers" under the affected arm; and no odor/sweat per se~ but I DID get a moustache in exchange. Sheesh~ as if cancer isn't humbling enough!!LOL

    Hugs,
    Claudia
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    chenheart said:

    Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
    I just have a few "stragglers" under the affected arm; and no odor/sweat per se~ but I DID get a moustache in exchange. Sheesh~ as if cancer isn't humbling enough!!LOL

    Hugs,
    Claudia

    The underarm which had

    The underarm which had radiation has no hair on the top half of my underarm, but has hair on the lower half. Talk about freaky!

    Joyce
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

    Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
    I just have a few "stragglers" under the affected arm; and no odor/sweat per se~ but I DID get a moustache in exchange. Sheesh~ as if cancer isn't humbling enough!!LOL

    Hugs,
    Claudia

    No Claudia
    those are just stray eyebrow hairs, not moustache hairs!!! I get a stray eyebrow hair on my chin too.....

    =^..^=
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

    No Claudia
    those are just stray eyebrow hairs, not moustache hairs!!! I get a stray eyebrow hair on my chin too.....

    =^..^=

    Stray Eyebrow Hairs!
    Well, Cat, I have run out of ways to say LOL in response to your posts. Once again, you just make me laugh. You must have been the class comic in school.

    Meow to little fuzzball, terror of the household.

    As for my armpit hair, it is actually growing back, with me right here smack in the middle of rads. Very bummed. Oh, well, maybe I can avoid the "stray eyebrow hairs."
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

    Stray Eyebrow Hairs!
    Well, Cat, I have run out of ways to say LOL in response to your posts. Once again, you just make me laugh. You must have been the class comic in school.

    Meow to little fuzzball, terror of the household.

    As for my armpit hair, it is actually growing back, with me right here smack in the middle of rads. Very bummed. Oh, well, maybe I can avoid the "stray eyebrow hairs."

    lots of love?
    I know you can't be laughing at the very serious subject of those ornery eyebrow hairs that insist on popping up on my chin.....

    =^..^=
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

    lots of love?
    I know you can't be laughing at the very serious subject of those ornery eyebrow hairs that insist on popping up on my chin.....

    =^..^=

    That, too
    Lots of love,yes,as well as lots of laughter.

    So now those strays are ornery as well?
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

    lots of love?
    I know you can't be laughing at the very serious subject of those ornery eyebrow hairs that insist on popping up on my chin.....

    =^..^=

    Okay, I understand your
    Okay, I understand your eyebrow hairs that pop up on your chin but I don't appreciate that some of your eyebrow hairs are popping up on my chin. Need an address so I can mail them back to you.
    Stef
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    fauxma said:

    Okay, I understand your
    Okay, I understand your eyebrow hairs that pop up on your chin but I don't appreciate that some of your eyebrow hairs are popping up on my chin. Need an address so I can mail them back to you.
    Stef

    LADIES!!!!
    You are all killing me!! My side hurts sooooo much from laughing. I haven't had any treatment yet and someones eyebrow hair ended up on MY chin!! But now that it is in my posession....highest bidder on E-bay wins!!!! Look for the listing under "Rare Hair from Cyberspace for Sale"!!!! :) Pammy
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

    Okay, I understand your
    Okay, I understand your eyebrow hairs that pop up on your chin but I don't appreciate that some of your eyebrow hairs are popping up on my chin. Need an address so I can mail them back to you.
    Stef

    Funny Steff
    I'm with Pammy, laughing my head off. About shipping those hairs back: First you gotta yank them out. Not fun.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

    Funny Steff
    I'm with Pammy, laughing my head off. About shipping those hairs back: First you gotta yank them out. Not fun.

    EWWWWWWWWWWW chin hair?
    EWWWWWWWWWWW chin hair? YUCK! lol

    I have no hair under my arm and I don't sweat there anymore either and never will, acccording

    to my radiation oncologist. So, I think that is ONE good thing that came out of taking rads!
  • Betsy B
    Betsy B Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

    No Hair and I am Happy About it!
    I have no hair under either of my underarms, due to the radiation

    treatments. And, I have no sweat glands there either, so, I don't sweat. So, I save money

    on deodorant too. lol More for retail shopping! :)

    Yes Cat, I guess we do all react differently or just plain have different rad treatments.

    Or, perhaps both.



    Love, Jeanne

    Hair loss
    I have had the same experience. After 15 years breast cancer free (Thank you, God!) I have not regrown hair under either arm and I seem to have no sweat glands. Unfortunately I do have lymphedema in my right arm.. significantly larger than left despite treatment. Also my right breast continues to shrink and is much smaller than my left breast even after having the left reduced. Not whining, just glad to be alive. Lots of hair transplanted to my chin as well! :o)